Ships Nostalgia banner
281 - 286 of 286 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Bill
Thx for your reply, glad that you seem to be doing well.
I too retired in 2019, was self employed (LLC) for 12 yrs or so, which I've left that simmering in case anything interesting comes up...
I had a couple of greencards then took citizenship a few years ago , you can have dual citizenship I have....
It's easier n cheaper than continually renewing greencards.
Indeed Ian was a great guy. Also I have have photo/s n a nav system printout of rounding the cape somewhere...
Plus yes Rio mardi gras was good, from 98 to 02 I lived in Cologne (Köln) where the karnevals were really something, weeks one never remembers n a lot , especially as our employer sponsored a lot of it.. .
I left CP in 85 did a couple of years with p&O cruises ( more memory loss lol)...then my last trip on the orient express.....
In 82 I did electrical n marine engineers duties , subsequently went to dot schools did chiefs etc.
After sea time did a couple of engineering degrees plus later an MBA.
Worked as a surveyor for GL , lived in Germany for several decades, worked for 27 years for insurance companies. One of whom transferred me to the US Chicago 2 years, then NE Ohio for 18 yrs...
Also through mainly business trips I got my 50 states in , in 2008....

How time flies ...lol
Cheers
Glenn
Hi Glenn. Those are some impressive accomplishments. Good for you. I enjoyed my time at RH as it was the perfect match for travel ships and problems on a never the same basis. I was lucky to see a huge amount of different vessels from Nuclear aircraft carriers, Nato warships, Square rigged sailing ships, mega yachts, cruise ships, every nationality merchant ships, historic vessels, Liberty Ship John W Brown, Italia Prima (Ex Stockholm, that sank the Andrea Doria) Delphine (1923 Steam yacht) loads of cable ships and propositioned US Maersk ships in Diego Garcia, Saipan and Guam. Looking back to was a whirlwind life but I enjoyed it. Funny now I rarely touch electronics and spend most of my time engineering and fabricating my old cars. I do miss the ships and crews and feel lucky we had it as good as we did. My job was a true eye opener for various nations crew experiences. Even managed to run into a few ex CP officers. Good luck in your change and take care.

·
Registered
725 Posts
You must have paid off shortly before I joined.
The jetty at Amoy bay was still a few shattered piles when we got back there and it wasn't too long before the Walker spent another long time in Norshipco Norfolk after grounding at Maracaibo.
She needed a lot of underside hull repairs and the main engine had to be detached, realigned and reset on the bedplate in chockfast resin - an interesting experience one does not see every day.
Also it wasn't too long before one of her boilers caught fire (literally) and required a complete retubing due to all the previous ones burning out and going up the funnel.
Like I've said before, a hard worked and tired ship but great for gaining experience.
The Walker certainly had her fair share of incidents but was a happy ship. Her reputation was known before I joined. I was s eat so could get off fairly quickly as my father was seriously ill and might not make it much more. I got home from Umea just before he died. It was good of CP to do that. We had a great crowd on her and dry dock was a very busy time both at work and ashore. The old man, Sanders (Sanderson) was great and everyone got along. Looking back most of the “problem ships” I sailed on had the best crowds. The names have slipped from memory now, 3rd Mate was Brent?. The trip through the ice from Sundsvall to Umea was interesting. It took a while for the icebreaker to break itself out to get us in. Interesting flight/trip from there to Stockholm. Take care Bill

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Glenn. Those are some impressive accomplishments. Good for you. I enjoyed my time at RH as it was the perfect match for travel ships and problems on a never the same basis. I was lucky to see a huge amount of different vessels from Nuclear aircraft carriers, Nato warships, Square rigged sailing ships, mega yachts, cruise ships, every nationality merchant ships, historic vessels, Liberty Ship John W Brown, Italia Prima (Ex Stockholm, that sank the Andrea Doria) Delphine (1923 Steam yacht) loads of cable ships and propositioned US Maersk ships in Diego Garcia, Saipan and Guam. Looking back to was a whirlwind life but I enjoyed it. Funny now I rarely touch electronics and spend most of my time engineering and fabricating my old cars. I do miss the ships and crews and feel lucky we had it as good as we did. My job was a true eye opener for various nations crew experiences. Even managed to run into a few ex CP officers. Good luck in your change and take care.
Bill
Many thanks , you too.
Indeed such variation n experience is fantastic...
Enjoy working on your cars.
Cheers
Glenn

·
Registered
10 Posts
Joined my first ship in Birkenhead in January 1971 and watched the launch of CP Trader before we sailed. Also took a photo. Came across someone selling the bell last year who found it while clearing out the house of a late friend. Gave it a good clean and hung it up inside. Wife not impressed!

Water Sky Cloud Boat Naval architecture
Idiophone Musical instrument Plant Bell Church bell
Lighting Wood Lamp Musical instrument Bell

·
Registered
6 Posts
sailed in BEAVERGLEN 1962,BEAVERCOVE 1963.
I just recently found my grandfather - he was Peter Rendall? He sailed on Beavercove during the 1960s as I have the photo, but I'm not sure exactly what year. Please do let me know if you knew him!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st Trip Chippie.

Does anyone remember Captain Bill Williams?.I was straight out of my apprenticeship,and joined the Beaverelm as Carpenter in December 1962,it was i believe his first command after being on the Empresses.I was greener than green having to find things out for myself,albeit with a little help from the Shoregang Carpenters before we sailed.One day the Mate tells me that the Captains toilet has stopped flushing,and to sort it out.Well,not knowing the first thing about plumbing,it sort of threw me a bit ,but what can you do when everyone thinks that you know what you are doing?.So up i go to the holy of holys,and has a look,anyway i got the water turned off for that part of the ship,took it apart, a bit of grease, and put it back together,water back on,.. and tested it,and much to my suprise it worked perfectly.Later on that evening a case of Red Barrel was delivered to my cabin complements of the Captain.I must say that it was a big boost to a 21 year old 1st trip Chippie.
Bill Williams was Captain in 66 when I was on Beaverelm.

281 - 286 of 286 Posts