Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 268 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Hi Lucy
You were right it was the Port Quebec with Currie. Time has gone so quickly and so have the last few functioning grey cells. Hope you are doing o.k and life has been good to you. The number of ships I sailed on has paled compared to the ones I have been on in the last 25 years. Have done a few trips to Diego Garcia flying with the USAF. Got heavily involved with AT&T/Tyco cable ships. Am really glad equipment has got smaller now a Since I have had to drag it up the gangway. Crews now are not as involved with ships and sea life as we all were. No bars so some ships I sailed on are ghost towns outside of meal times. Have run run into a few old CP people, John Fowler, turned up on the Maersk Roubaix a few moths ago. Sorry to hear all the older guys are going though some didn't go soon enough. Huge amount of knowledge and experience gone. It has been a really interesting job and is hard to compare with anything for variety.
Take care
... . ..-

·
Registered
209 Posts
There is quite a bit written about a R/O's life on many CP ships which can be viewed on the site - 20yrs behind the antennae mast by Roy Philpott which makes quite interesting reading

·
Registered
209 Posts
GA Walker

Does Anyone Know If And When The Ga Walker Came Home From Falklands (or Did It Remain There ?)
If you google 'cp ships G A Walker history' you will be able to click on an extract from Roy Philpotts book and he tells about being on there in the late eighties untill they paid off because foreign crew were taking over out in the Far East. Alternatively if you google '20yrs behind the antenna mast' followed by his name you would be able to click on the GA Walker chapter.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I remember good times especially timber runs to Vancouver area with CP from 1969 till 1974 BEAVERELM, N.R. CRUMP T.G SHAUGHNESSY PORT HAWKSBURY LORD STRATHCONA and 2rd engineer on J V CLYNE and W C VAN HORNE I remember a J. Jeffery was cadet and 5 Eng on CLYNE on 2 trips when generators were falling to pieces. Have I got the right one.
regards J Gunnig

·
Registered
879 Posts
Anyone remember sailing with a 3rd or 2nd mate by the name of Bruce Hardy from Southampton way or his whereabouts now? He would have been with CP around 1983 - 1990 ish.

(Thumb)

Steve.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello Everyone
Bowater Steamship Company 1962
I sailed with CP from 65' to 70' mostly Beaverboats, Elm, Pine, Ash, stood by Fir
Did maiden voyage on the Lord Strathcona, sailed on the Pacific Logger then swallowed the anchor and came ashore
Met a lot of good people
Geoff Bray

·
Registered
209 Posts
If anyone is looking for the Canadian Pacific/CP Ships Timelink.org site which was being run by Marshal Christie, it is no more. I just had an e-mail back saying it was partly for cost and also it did not seem to work.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
good day sandy steel,m,16th april.2014.03:04.#52,re:quote,you "youngsters" make me feel really old.(april 59 feb 60)your just a young fella.i was on the beaverdale 1946/47.have a good day.regards ben27

·
Registered
330 Posts
I went for an interview with CP. Unfortunately it was the day after my birthday and I wasn't in tip top condition. I didn't get the job (Jester)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi
I was with Canadian Pacific from Cadetship all the way upto Sailing as Chief Engineer, 1977 to 1993
Only did 3 trips on tankers, the old Port Hawkesbury (1st trip out of cadetship) and a couple of the product tankers before being moved to the bulker fleet.
Then on various bulkers till they were all sold and then on the remaining container ships, which were being manned by Celtic Ship management.
The CanMar Victory (Later CanMar Valour) and the mighty CanMar Ambassador, in fact was Chief Engineer on the Ambassador on its last voyage with original CP officers onboard before she was handed over to Anglo Eastern ship management and we were all replaced with Indian officers.
I have some great memories of CP and its ships.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Just stumbled across site with a lot of photos of CP ships, Beaverboats etc fm 1934 - 1990 which might be of interest to some who haven't found it. If you google:-
1934 to 1990 - Merchant Navy Officers
will bring up site :-
merchantnavyofficers.com/cp34

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi everyone my dad Fredrick Thomas Boyd (Tony) was a CE until he died in1979. I think his last trip was on Port Quebec....anybody remember him?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Hi Brian,
Your dad was a lovely man. Really looked after his guys. He was Chief on the J.V. Clyne in 1971 (CP Ships) when I was 1st lecky. I Joined with my wife in Tilbury then to Jacksonville loaded rock phosphate for Port Moody. Discharged, then loaded forest products around Vancouver Island for UK/ Europe. Left in Ghent and flew back to UK. About 3 months round trip. Great times, sad that he has gone. Take care.
Les Gibson

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Les thanks for replying and that's lovely to hear, I was only 10 when he died and didn't really get a great chance to know him with him being away from home so often, but i was fortunate enough to spend a week in Denmark with him (whilst Port Quebec was being built? I was very young and remember going to a ship yard and being shown about). I also spent a weekend in Tilbury docks on board, happy days.
Cheers Brian

41 - 60 of 268 Posts