Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have thoroughly enjoyed being on this board since I found it and like so many of you I have found several former shipmates and we all have a lot in common. The Brock's thread is the most active of all the individual shipping companies and we seem to have quite a regular group of posters. It occurred to me that there could be some mileage in trying to organise a meeting where we all got together again to renew old acquaintances and make some new ones. I know there was an "official" Brock's reunion some years ago which I did not attend and I have no wish whatever to offend anyone if another such a thing is in the planning stage, but I thought I would test the water to see whether the posters on here think it is a good idea or not.

If we give enough advance notice and we spread the word amongst our ex-Brock's contacts who are not necessarily posters on here surely we can muster up enough to justify a get together? What does eveyone think? I very loosely had the following plan in mind. Arrive Friday afternoon, drinks and an informal meal on Friday evening. Hopefully some form of visit or the like on Saturday followed by a more formal dinner on Saturday evening, disperse on Sunday morning. Allowing for the geographic spread of posters we need to pick somewhere relatively central so that the Scots don't have to travel to Cornwall etc and my opening shot is somewhere along the M62 corridor covering the ports of Liverpool, Manchester across to the Humber.
Some of you are members of The Radio Officers' Association and my business actually prints QSO. The annual get-together of R/O's gives us something of a template. We are fully capable of printing agendas, name badges and all the rest of the requirements for such a meeting and I would be pleased to take on the organisation of the event if there is sufficent interest.

I have no pre-conceived idea of timetable but we need to give everyone plenty of time to plan ahead and I would suggest some time in the autumn if there is enough interest.

·
Registered
411 Posts
A great idea!!! Sorry can't support it physically though being over here in Canada and not due to visit UK untill "07.I hope all ex Brocks get behind it, over there ,after all we worked for and had a lot of great times with the Best Sipping Company out of UK.

Cheers
Mike

·
Banned
38 Posts
Hi Tony
I conduct many Sunday Reunion Services for various Royal Naval ship associations of which I am Chaplain and, as a result, I tend to travel quite a bit from my Devon base, venturing as far afield as Llandudno, Blackpool, the Isle of Wight and Eastbourne. Some Hotel groups are happy to provide special weekend packages for this sort of function at reduced rates. Can't advertise them publicly but if interested drop me a PM and I will let you have further details.
Regards
Peter4447 (*))

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
A good idea Tony ; I missed the last one held in Bootle. Am retired now but have no immediate plans to visit UK againthis year ; but would be interested . My brother attended the last one and I shall ask if he remembers who organised it as it would be a help to get a list of ex Brocks who may be interested .
I would think Liverpool would be my choice location .
Derek

·
Registered
8,371 Posts
Brocklebank reunion

ref Tony's reference to Brocklebank popularity among posters this does seem ironic given that they as a company never seemed to feature large in the popular press or shipping magazines in contrast to Blue Funnel, Clan etc. etc.
Apart from the official two volume history by Gibson the only books I have ever seen with any special reference to Brocklebank are that by Haws and the illustrated Clarkson/Fenton Anchor Brocklebank volume, although there was a potted istory in Sea Breezes which was lkargely culled from the Gibson books.
(Incidentally the late author's son runs a marine offshore consultancy here in Aberdeen.)
I have seen it reported that they inevitably launched their ships from Wm. Hamilton at Port Glasgow without any ceremony or subsequent address or speeches following the event.
Given the above it surely says much for the loyalty, which works, and mostly did work, both ways, that there is such an affection and respect for the company.
I am sure we all had our ups and downs, "never again on this ship , never going back next trip etc. " but overall the impression seems to have been that the company looked after their personnel and given a fair crack they were always willing to meet halfway, or even further in certain cir***stances, as has often been related by members.
In ones working career, often in a number of different industries or employers, there are inevitably some that stand out as being something special. I can count myself fortunate that having been employed by Scotts' of Greenock, Brocklebank and John Swire I can only say that in my opinion these do fully meet this criteria.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I went to the re-union in Bootle some years ago and must admit it was very well attended. I have the program somewhere with the list of guests and the name of the guy who organised it , yes it was at the Town Hall but I doubt such a big venue would be necessary so many years on. I will post the details, being local ,as a good few of us were, I didn't get involved in the daily activities but I believe there was a visit to the Albert Dock where the "picture man " did a roaring trade. Perhapes we should bear in mind at the last re union Brocks were fresh in peoples minds 15 or so years on it may be different but still a great idea...count me in....john g

·
Registered
161 Posts
The reunion sounds a good idea to me, so please count me in - even though I seem to "pre date" most of the Brocks people who post here.

I think that the Liverpool - Hull corridor is favourite; if it's the Liverpool end I good probably get some local press/ radio support if required.

I suspect that the trick is how to move to the next stage

Bill

·
Premium Member
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think how we move it forward, if at all, is very much dependant on numbers. We have to leave this thread open for a while as people may be on holiday and maybe everyone does not spend several hours on here each day as I do!

If only 10 or so are interested then it is obviously a non starter, however, I suggest once we get up above 25/30 then it may well become viable. If it really takes off and we go above 50 then we are getting into the territory where hotels will start to sit up and take interest. All this is conjecture as I have never done this type of thing before but common sense would dictate that we have to generate sufficient numbers or it becomes a waste of time. In my opinion if we don't do something like this soon then it may never get done as none of us are getting any younger.

Accompanying wives, who may or may not wish to join in, will raise the numbers and reduce the exposure to single room supplements.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think it is a great idea, in theory. Perhaps there are a lot of people who would need to know a little more about the details before commiting themselves. I know several people who think I should have been commited years ago.

I for one, or two if you count she who must be obeyed, are very interested at this stage. As always finance, location and timing are all important.

Rgds

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
We held our Elder Dempster annual lunch last week. We can usually count on 100+ pensioners attending and it is a huge success every year. It is surprising that when such a function becomes regularly established how many old friends and acquaintances appear out of the woodwork.
My recomendation (none of my business I know) is to go ahead, advertise it as widely as possible through all your known contacts and go ahead and enjoy it! Good luck.

Derek

·
Registered
39 Posts
Brocklebank Reunion

Great idea. Will attend if the event takes place.

Pleased to see the support already shown. Let's hope more Brocks are able to attend a reunion.

Eric Walter

·
Registered
60 Posts
Brocklebank reunion

Tony,

Please count me in - I was sorry to miss the last one. There are one or two old boys living up here in the North east who could be persuaded to come along as well, I believe, plus a fairly large number around Liverpool/North Wales who would come if it were advertised in some way locally.

Thanks!

David Byrne

1 - 20 of 49 Posts