Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,620 Posts
fredkinghorn said:
Can someone please remove the apostrophe from Vessel's.

fred
Unless of course it is the vessel's equipment. I recently saw a sign at a garden centre that you would like Fred. They are selling "Winter Pansy's".

Best regards

Fred

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I meant the heading on the Main Page. I agree if there is something relevent to " vessel's "

anyway I like the one about Winter Pansy's. Morrison's Supermarket near to me has a notice indicating " this door is alarmed " .

Ferry to Islay has a notice--" do not throw rubbish over the side - use the receptacle provided "

fred

·
Registered
7 Posts
Apostrophes

Fred,
I would send the Administrator & Moderators copies of "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" for Christmas.
Happy Christmas!
John F.

·
ex-Denholm Moderator
11,591 Posts
Alistair,

Dare I ask which part of the Lord of the Isles you were eating? (*))

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Alistair. (ps said:
Who's (is that apostrophe correct??!!) not in Gourock these days?!

I have lots of happy memories of the place in the 1950s as a child/youth when there were steamers enough about which to be dreaming today - though I don't consider myself a "steamer dreamer" by your definition!!

Do you catch any ships from the Erskine Bridge photo point on your weekend jaunts to Balloch to tend your "Maid of the Loch" - and I still hope that you can restore her to her 1953 appearance, including mainmast!!

----------------------
Mike.

·
Banned
48 Posts
Fred,

Well done and you may also feel that there is also a case to answer in respect of:

MEMBER'S NOTICE BOARD

afterall there are quite a lot of us.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
Mac said:
Fred
For amusing examples of apostrophe abuse have a look at the website of the "Apostrophe Protection Society" link www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk
and see how serious the members are.
Mac
Thanks, Mac - it is a good site. I think I've just about got the apostrophe off pat, but the semi-colon's got me stumped. What use is half an ar**hole?

John T.

·
Banned
48 Posts
There's a thing...

fredkinghorn said:
Hi Tonga. I missed that one ! It should read MEMBERS' notice board. Agree?

fred
Fred, I’m afraid that’s the case, but I’m not pushing to get its apostrophe shifted in case any single member feel it’s where it should be and happy with its position.

(*))

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The " flying comma " has gone Tonga !

Now what further mischief can I get up to ? ( he said, ending with a preposition )

fred

1 - 20 of 29 Posts