Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
What a drag the Journal was ..,... I well remember the valiant words of .... ???? someone ......" You will come to value this journal son" .....47 years later the bugger seems to have been correct. I still have mine and it is precious..

Barnsey

·
Registered
961 Posts
What a drag the Journal was ..,... I well remember the valiant words of .... ???? someone ......" You will come to value this journal son" .....47 years later the bugger seems to have been correct. I still have mine and it is precious..

Barnsey
What did you put in it? Was it censored by the Old Man? I am curious about this because, in my company, the apprentices' opinions were kept under tight control, even the supers did not want to know about them. In fact, I don't think that it dawned on us that apprentices existed on any of the other company's ships. The less the communicataion between us, the better.

Did your journal get published,in any way, so that it was circulated to the other apprentices in the fleet and, if it was, was it an abridged (by the office) version?

Split

·
Registered
7 Posts
What did you put in it? Was it censored by the Old Man? I am curious about this because, in my company, the apprentices' opinions were kept under tight control, even the supers did not want to know about them. In fact, I don't think that it dawned on us that apprentices existed on any of the other company's ships. The less the communicataion between us, the better.

Did your journal get published,in any way, so that it was circulated to the other apprentices in the fleet and, if it was, was it an abridged (by the office) version?

Split
Split,
In BP, apprentices were meant to write a double sided sheet of foolscap per week. In it you were meant to keep a record of day to day happenings, tasks, where abouts you were, along with as much technical stuff & photos as you could manage. The Old Man read it every week & censored it accordingly. This, I felt, was more to avoid Marine Supers in London Office getting to know about things that it was better they didn't know about. As an apprentice, I was made well aware of this situation so studiously avoided putting anything in the journal that was contentious. The journals were never published & were "strictly private" between the individual apprentice & the Company. The journals were marked every 6 months for the following points:
Descriptive & Diary Material
Studies & professional subjects
Paintings, Sketches, Photos, etc.
Diagrams & Technical Photos
Style of writing
General Impression of Orderliness & Care.
I have attached a copy of the Head Office marking sheet to give you some idea.
Sadly (now), unlike Paul W, I didn't put as much into journal writing at the time. It was always regarded as a bind having to write it, especially if you were coasting & working all hours God sent. Like Barnsey, I still have it in its entirety along with all my letters home & one day I will transfer it all to CD for my kids' benefit - one day!
Kind regards,
John

Attachments

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,602 Posts
John/Paul,
They were still inflicting it on Cadets 30 odd years later! Like yourself, John, I never put as much effort into maintaining it as I really should have done, however I value what I have.
I now make a point of keeping a diary at sea, it can be a bind, but it's invaluable at times.

·
Registered
127 Posts
At the time,I found the twice weekly production of of the Journal a bit of a chore especially when catch up time had to be spent owing to time in port etc. I remember being ticked off by the old man for limiting my output somewhat by means of having very wide margins on either side of the the sheet.
And now, like others in this thread I am truly sorry that I did not make more effort....generally, my 4 years apprenticeship was very enjoyable and I find it puzzling that keeping the diary going was such a bind.

Pete8

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Split ....

the others have summed it all up pretty well.

One item I always remember ..... being stuck for something to put in the journal one evening I asked my mate .. (one David Sainsbury from Bristol .. love to catch up with him one day if anyone knows where he is) what was the weight of Sparkies new Baby .... 16 1/2 lbs was the answer I wrote down ... !!! The Old man called me in on Sunday ..... have you ever seen a new born baby Barnes?? "yerst well, near enough newborn I think so" "Well, usually an 8pounder is considered a good size and that would be like ****ting a Melon !!" :sweat:

Ah well ... Ive always remembered what a new born baby should roughly weigh !!

A Technical drawing extract from my journal as an example is attached... all my own work.

But it was drag ... remember asking kids ... "What have you done at school today?" ..... anyone who kept a Nav. Apps. Journal will have some sympathy.

John ... you mentioned one of your first jobs was loading fresh water ? Funnily enough that was also my very first job as nav. App. However we were not given very clear directions .... the Fire main had to be isolated as that was the line used to fill up with .... we shut off along the flying bridge but somehow we were not too sure about down aft ..... quiet a bit of Thames water went in we believe .... !!! I ask you putting a brand new apprentice on a job like that?

Barnsey(Scribe)

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cadet/ Apprentice Dept.

The first interview I had with BP was at rhe Station Hotel in Perth, followed by a trip to Brittanic House for Medicals etc.

I think the head of Apprentice Dept was someone by the name of Le Fev're, there was also a rather large gentleman who I had my first interview with.

When I went to London we were accomodated in a Cadets Training Hostel just off Cromwell Road, which was run on lines of a ship.

Anyone remember names from Training Dept, and hostel, dates would be from 60's onwards.????

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In mid 1966 I responded to an advert in the Birmingham Evening Mail for Navigating Cadets. Went to an Hotel in Brum for the interview with Ronnie Marsh(?) and stayed with BP until late 1971 when I decided that other types of ships may be more interesting and visit slightly more exotic ports!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Managers

Yes the name Ronnie Marsh kicked afew brain cells into place, my first interview was 66 and I joined the Merlin in the summer of 67, Left in 1974 after gaining my mates ticket at south Shields

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes the name Ronnie Marsh kicked afew brain cells into place, my first interview was 66 and I joined the Merlin in the summer of 67, Left in 1974 after gaining my mates ticket at south Shields
I had my first interview with dear old Ronnie Marsh in 1958, him of the tinted glasses. He reminded me very much of that school teacher in the Giles cartoons (whose name I forget - anno domini striles again - & I will probably remember it as soon as I click on Submit Reply - Chalkie?) in the Daily Express.
Kind regards,
John.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Ah YES!!! Dear old Ronnie .... I can remember the interview as though it was yesterday .... he was most insistent that "Tankers are not nasty smelly ships like they used to be ..... and so on..." he was dead set on persuading me to join and I was dead set on joining having visited British Valour at dear old Isle of Grain a short while before.....

Best decision we both made ... cough cough

Barnsey

·
Registered
920 Posts
I quite enjoyed doing the cadet's journal and found it a useful way to keep neat notes of technical tasks when i had found them tricky. But, yes, the old man did censor bits sometimes.

When I went back for Phase 1 at Plymouth my journal won a prize, I think it was something useless like the Shell Guide to Britain. In any case I dont have the prize any more. However, a million years later I did a PhD and got my journal bound the same as my thesis, gold lettering and all. A few years ago an academic interviewed me for some research about women in the oil industry and that prompted me to dig the journal out. I decided to donate it to the National Maritime Museum's archives and they were very pleased to have it. If anyone else here is thinking about what might happen to their precious journal after they have gone, then I know the archives woiuld be really pleased to get them.

I made an electronic copy of the journal, to appease my family.

I was a D/C and then 3/O in BP 1972-77 and then went to Bibby's.

nina

·
Registered
489 Posts
I found that postcards and photos were great fillers of space in my journal, and I still have them...but I ditched the journals when moving house in 1974. It would have been good not to have done that as the journals were a great source of info about my various trips and shipmates, but what's done is done.

I remember Ronnie Marsh, too, who interviewed me too. And his henchman, by the name of Sawyer. I think that. I have a photo of them - in the class photo of MAR course 2 in 1964 at the stack of bricks (KE2).

·
Super Moderator
3,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

. I decided to donate it to the National Maritime Museum's archives and they were very pleased to have it. If anyone else here is thinking about what might happen to their precious journal after they have gone, then I know the archives woiuld be really pleased to get them.

I made an electronic copy of the journal, to appease my family.

nina[/QUOTE]

Interesting Nina - not too sure that my sons will value mine which I keep safe and complete but if they do not want it then a good alternative

·
Registered
121 Posts
I still have my Journal & my Deck Cadets Record Book - all signed up by people from long ago!!
I still have my two cadet journals. the first journal, about 105 pages ,has been scanned.

I also have all my pay slips from cadet days.

20 years of letters to my girlfriend, fiance and wife we also saved.

A few years ago she supervised me burning them, at her request, also the letters which She had written To me.

I do miss reading the views I then held about life aboard the vessels I sailed in.
Don

·
Registered
48 Posts

Split
After one censoring by the Mate on my second ship (on the orders of the OM!) mine became so bland (because I was damned if I was EVER going to have to rewrite another page!) it wasn't worth keeping. I still have the binder, though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts