Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put some photos and stories in the Denholm News thread already here are some more.
Arctic Troll 1977

Joined the Arctic Troll in Dagenham on April fool’s day 1977 it was discharging paper, we then moved to Emden to finish the discharge.

At Emden we played football against the crew of a fruit boat can’t remember what nationality they were. After the game we invited them back to the bar on the ship and they enjoyed a few pints of draft Skol. The next day they brought over some of their cargo for us, bananas. I think everyone on the ship ended up with big bunches of bananas in their cabins. On a return trip to Emden, we were loading Volkswagens. The factory was very close to the docks so it was arranged that we could have a trip around the car factory. At the end of the trip we were taken into a lounge area and they had a slot machine selling matchbox series Volkswagens, the guide asked us if we were going to buy any that we use the proper coins. At that time before the Euro was introduced Germany was still using marks and a one mark coin was almost the exact size and weight as a British 10 pence but it was worth about four times as much. So any German phone box in a dock near British ships was always full of ten pence’s. I know this worked as I used this method to phone home and also obtain a matchbox Volkswagen.

We then went across the pond to Halifax, Nova Scotia and St John, New Brunswick. St John is in the Bay of Fundy which has then biggest tide in the World over 50 ft. The river in St John reverses during high tide and water flows up the river , this can been seen at point in the river known as the Reversing Falls. An old Arctic Troll story is that a mounties horse was tied up near the ship and was stolen and taken on the ship at low tide when the gangway was level with the dockside. However when the tide came in the gang way was too steep to get the horse down so they put strops under the horse and lifted it off with the ships crane. Personally I think this was just a tall story but maybe it happened.

The usual port for loading paper was Stephenville in Newfoundland. While there myself and the 3/E Bob Landsman had a day off and we were going to hire a car and drive up into the mountains. The Captains wife and two kids were on the ship and she asked if we would take to two kids with us. So next day we got a taxi into town and went to a car hire shop, there were problems getting the car so we did the next thing any seaman ashore would do and look for the nearest pub. And so we ended up spending the day doing a pub crawl with the kids along the main street in Stephenville. As Bob met a girlfriend and stayed in town it was my job to get the kids back to the ship for teatime. On climbing the gangway the captain’s wife was not pleased but the captain who stood behind her and he had the biggest grin you ever saw he knew what would happen. It was not to be the first time that trip that the kids ended up with us in a pub.

In Canada they produce a rather delicate fizzy red wine called Cold Duck which is extremely cheap and along the lines of Lanliq or Buckfast, and has the same results, it blows your head off. The chief Steward purchased some of this for the rig and as you can see from the photographs it went down well with the crew and officers.

Once when leaving Savannah we ran up the confederate flag on the poop deck and told the locals we would do it, so as we passed the Port Royal we got a round of applause from the regulars. If I remember right you could not see the poop deck from the bridge wing I think we would have been made to walk the plank if the Old Man had found out.

The ship was like a nursery school at time with kids belonging to the Captain, Chief, Mate and 4/E, the kids had an absolute ball on the trip. Oh and we had a couple of passengers for good luck.

I paid off the ship in Dagenham on 24th august 1977, it was a great ship and went to good ports unfortunately I only did one trip on her.

·
Premium Member
11,608 Posts
Ah, Bob Landsman. I first met Bob in 1971 at the DOT Examination Centre in Glasgow. I there for an eyesight test. Bob was there for the same purpose. Only two and the examiner called us in at the same time. Sight & Lantern test. I was fine, but Bob struggled and missed a few letters. When we came out the examiner told me that I had passed and said, "I'm not going to fail you. Go and have a rest up your eyes. Come back next week." I wished Bob 'Good Luck' and that was that. Two and a half years later I am sitting in Glasgow Airport. I was gettng ready to fly out to Fos to join AVON BRIDGE. There was Bob getting on the same flight... going out to join AVON BRIDGE. I was joining Third Mate, Bob was joining as Cadet Engineer! Good lad. Many good laughs. I swear, he spent more time on the bridge than the engineroom. He told me that he had been up at G.C.N.S. one of the lecturers asked the class, "What do you want to do when you get your Chief's ticket?" I want to be Chief in a power station." "I want to be a Chief in a engine works." So it went along. Asked Bob and he said, "I want to be a Chief Engineer on a Sailing Ship!"

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did part of our chiefs ticket at the same time can't remember the subject, but I do remember knocking off early a few days and going to play snooker with Bob. I did see someone on Linkedin that looks like its Bob, tried to contact him but never got a reply. https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-bob-landsman-125a5422/ Looks like he did the same as me and went into the offshore industry in the 80s

·
Registered
140 Posts
I put some photos and stories in the Denholm News thread already here are some more.
Arctic Troll 1977

Joined the Arctic Troll in Dagenham on April fool’s day 1977 it was discharging paper, we then moved to Emden to finish the discharge.

At Emden we played football against the crew of a fruit boat can’t remember what nationality they were. After the game we invited them back to the bar on the ship and they enjoyed a few pints of draft Skol. The next day they brought over some of their cargo for us, bananas. I think everyone on the ship ended up with big bunches of bananas in their cabins. On a return trip to Emden, we were loading Volkswagens. The factory was very close to the docks so it was arranged that we could have a trip around the car factory. At the end of the trip we were taken into a lounge area and they had a slot machine selling matchbox series Volkswagens, the guide asked us if we were going to buy any that we use the proper coins. At that time before the Euro was introduced Germany was still using marks and a one mark coin was almost the exact size and weight as a British 10 pence but it was worth about four times as much. So any German phone box in a dock near British ships was always full of ten pence’s. I know this worked as I used this method to phone home and also obtain a matchbox Volkswagen.

We then went across the pond to Halifax, Nova Scotia and St John, New Brunswick. St John is in the Bay of Fundy which has then biggest tide in the World over 50 ft. The river in St John reverses during high tide and water flows up the river , this can been seen at point in the river known as the Reversing Falls. An old Arctic Troll story is that a mounties horse was tied up near the ship and was stolen and taken on the ship at low tide when the gangway was level with the dockside. However when the tide came in the gang way was too steep to get the horse down so they put strops under the horse and lifted it off with the ships crane. Personally I think this was just a tall story but maybe it happened.

The usual port for loading paper was Stephenville in Newfoundland. While there myself and the 3/E Bob Landsman had a day off and we were going to hire a car and drive up into the mountains. The Captains wife and two kids were on the ship and she asked if we would take to two kids with us. So next day we got a taxi into town and went to a car hire shop, there were problems getting the car so we did the next thing any seaman ashore would do and look for the nearest pub. And so we ended up spending the day doing a pub crawl with the kids along the main street in Stephenville. As Bob met a girlfriend and stayed in town it was my job to get the kids back to the ship for teatime. On climbing the gangway the captain’s wife was not pleased but the captain who stood behind her and he had the biggest grin you ever saw he knew what would happen. It was not to be the first time that trip that the kids ended up with us in a pub.

In Canada they produce a rather delicate fizzy red wine called Cold Duck which is extremely cheap and along the lines of Lanliq or Buckfast, and has the same results, it blows your head off. The chief Steward purchased some of this for the rig and as you can see from the photographs it went down well with the crew and officers.

Once when leaving Savannah we ran up the confederate flag on the poop deck and told the locals we would do it, so as we passed the Port Royal we got a round of applause from the regulars. If I remember right you could not see the poop deck from the bridge wing I think we would have been made to walk the plank if the Old Man had found out.

The ship was like a nursery school at time with kids belonging to the Captain, Chief, Mate and 4/E, the kids had an absolute ball on the trip. Oh and we had a couple of passengers for good luck.

I paid off the ship in Dagenham on 24th august 1977, it was a great ship and went to good ports unfortunately I only did one trip on her.

View attachment 684956 View attachment 684957 View attachment 684958 View attachment 684959 View attachment 684960 View attachment 684961 View attachment 684962 View attachment 684963
Again great photos John.
So we did pass like ships in the night. I off-signed at Dagenham 1st April 1977 as you on-signed. I was ending my first trip as deck cadet The Captain was Joe McNeil. Perhaps Joe off-signed during the same port stay but I believe he was relieved by Capt Thorpe. Willie Munro (same name) may have been your Chief Engineer. I do recognise a few faces in the photo's. Do you recall who the chief officer was ?
Otherwise all your other stories are very familiar on and I have the same memories. I even have an old Saint John postcard showing a Troll Ship (possibly Troll Park according to the funnel markings) on the top right. Was calling there frequently 2001-05 on a tanker time charter with Irving Oil. The whole place has changed and very upmarket. Now a big cruise ship destination.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Willie the Chief was Ken Bramnell for most of my hitch don't remember the other Chief, the chief mate is the guy on the left in the photo sorry can't remember his name either. The Ken Bramnell is that guy at the back of the bar wearing the yellow shirt.

In the photos of my first posting the load going into the barge had been stopped because a docker had been crushed with the load he was taken to hospital I believe was ok eventually.

On another subject when I was on Eurofreighter I paid off in New York and joined again two trips later (almost 10 weeks) and spent that time touring Canada and the US, I am writing the adventures up before I totally forget them once I get it done I will post it, loads of photos in it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Hi Willie the Chief was Ken Bramnell for most of my hitch don't remember the other Chief, the chief mate is the guy on the left in the photo sorry can't remember his name either. The Ken Bramnell is that guy at the back of the bar wearing the yellow shirt.

In the photos of my first posting the load going into the barge had been stopped because a docker had been crushed with the load he was taken to hospital I believe was ok eventually.

On another subject when I was on Eurofreighter I paid off in New York and joined again two trips later (almost 10 weeks) and spent that time touring Canada and the US, I am writing the adventures up before I totally forget them once I get it done I will post it, loads of photos in it. View attachment 685015
Thanks John.
Yes I recognise a few faces. I sailed with C/E Ken Bramel on the Arctic Troll. The guy on the left with white shirt is C/O Stuart Pottinger.
We had some good times in that bar !! Years later back onboard as 3/O I ran the bar accounts and cleaned the pipes/changed kegs !!
If you can recall there was a fair bit of mixing between the crew and officers bars which was great. The Sealife project was also in full swing onboard. PRELIMINARY REPORT ON THE ARCTIC TROLL PROJECT Also from Gulpers on The Troll Boats #19 gives a good explanation of the project.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We did part of our chiefs ticket at the same time can't remember the subject, but I do remember knocking off early a few days and going to play snooker with Bob. I did see someone on Linkedin that looks like its Bob, tried to contact him but never got a reply. https://www.linkedin.com/in/robert-bob-landsman-125a5422/ Looks like he did the same as me and went into the offshore industry in the 80s
Hi John. I worked with Bob in Stena Offshore ‘s Aberdeen office from 1999 to 2009. In that time the company changed to being called Coflexip Stena, Coflexip, Technip and FMC Technip. Bob was Fleet Technical Manager when I left for the Houston office. Not sure what has happened with him since but sure I could find out if you are interested. He was a very interesting character to work with but I am not sure that our profiles suited our new French masters!
Unusually we had both been to sea, knew how things worked and were prone to digging our heels in and not backing down.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Guys
Those photos bring back memories. I did two trips on Troll boats, Arctic Troll then Troll Park as Jr/Eng. I recognise the Deck Engineer, Jan the Crann and Ken Bramel. Ken's 1st ship with Denholms was Norvegia Team. I was an Eng Cadet. Ken joined as 2nd Engineer and I was with him when he went down into the engine-room for the 1st time. He was totally stunned by the scale of things. I think his previous ships had been SD 14's , or similar, so the 100,000 ton Team boat with its 9 cyl Gotaverken was a bit of a change to say the least. I also remember Cold Duck. Delicate it was not.
Great memories. A lot of hard work and hard play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Guys
Those photos bring back memories. I did two trips on Troll boats, Arctic Troll then Troll Park as Jr/Eng. I recognise the Deck Engineer, Jan the Crann and Ken Bramel. Ken's 1st ship with Denholms was Norvegia Team. I was an Eng Cadet. Ken joined as 2nd Engineer and I was with him when he went down into the engine-room for the 1st time. He was totally stunned by the scale of things. I think his previous ships had been SD 14's , or similar, so the 100,000 ton Team boat with its 9 cyl Gotaverken was a bit of a change to say the least. I also remember Cold Duck. Delicate it was not.
Great memories. A lot of hard work and hard play.
Now then - looks like an antipodean flag under your name but do you hail from the Island of Ireland - I sailed with a Dave J/E on Avonbridge (I was deck gadget) and then on Arctic Troll by which time I had reached the dizzy heights of GP

·
Registered
5 Posts
Not me, I am from Scotland and went to Glasgow Naughty College. Never on Avon Bridge. I was on Norvegia Team, Loch Maree, Arctic Troll, Scotstoun, Troll Park, Asia Freighter. I only moved to Australia about 12 years ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not me, I am from Scotland and went to Glasgow Naughty College. Never on Avon Bridge. I was on Norvegia Team, Loch Maree, Arctic Troll, Scotstoun, Troll Park, Asia Freighter. I only moved to Australia about 12 years ago.
Ah no worries - I was on Loch Maree in 1977 I think and Arctic Troll in 1978, also did a run job on Asiafreighter from New York to Keil where she went into drydock to have the gas turbines removed and diesels fitted

·
Registered
88 Posts
Told to join her mid 1973 at South Sheilds where she was in dry dock. After a week was transferred to Muirfield (she was in Rotterdam???). Sorry I didn't actually sail on Arctic Troll. Looked and felt like a great ship.. From recall Jimmy Fielding was one of the engineers. I sailed with him previously..

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Question was directed at Iain Lourie which was the previous post to mine.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My second trip on the Arctic Troll was April to July 1981 as 3rd mate. By this time the car decks were gone and the port call in the Thames was now at Tilbury. Paper below decks and a full profile of timber above deck. Enjoyed the trip but for some reason only can find two slightly blurred photos (Savannah)
Top photo L > R : self, Roy Townsley Elect, 2 riding squad lads, Jim Halliday c/e (sitting), Harry Black crane engineer. Willie Winton 2/o took the photo.
Bottom photo L > R : Willie Winton 2/o, 2 riding squad lads, c/e, crane eng.

Officer team onboard during my 4 month tour : Capt's Terry Turner & Angus Smart, c/o's Roy Usher & John Turner, 2/o's Kenny McConnell & Willie Winton, c/e's Jim Halliday & B McNaughton, 2/e Duncan Graham, 3/e Peter Wood, 4/e Hunter Brown, J/e Colin Macrae, C/stwd's John Finley & Peter Hennesy, r/o Clive Schrimshaw, elect Roy Townsley

·
Registered
140 Posts
I found a few more photos of my first trip (deck cadet) on the Arctic Troll (winter 1976/77). Apologies for the poor quality.

Loading cars at the Emden VW factory.

Passing NYC 23rd December 1976. On the way to Albany to discharge cars. Including me in my standard issue duffle coat. By the time we got to the Saint John in mid January to back load paper and timber the temperatures were well below what the duffle coat could handle. So I had to go ashore and buy a winter skidoo suit to survive the deck watches.

Christmas day dinner 1976 at Albany. The oldman Joe McNeil had this idea that he and I would dress up and be the serving stewards. That's me serving 2/O Stuart Pottinger (left) and 3/O Brian Longbottom (right).
The photo below I am sitting with guitar playing electrician Ray Eastwood.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like the photos Willie, still say my trip on the Arctic Troll 1977 was the best, although the Wellpark 1980 came a close second.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did you know Jim Fielding ?.
Yes. On Gallic Bridge if I recall correctly. Gingery hair, usually bearded. Paid off the Gallic Bridge, he (4/E?) , Bryce Brown (3/M) and me and I think Graham MacQueen, the other appy, paid off Port Talbot. Bryce hired a hire car and we drove to Glasgow. Exceeding the speed limit clocking over the ton chunks of rubber came out of a tyre, luckily spotted it and changed wheel. Off we went and the other tyre did it too. Called AA, new tyre ...... Anyway I stayed with Jimmy a couple of days, from recall out Greenock way..........Been a while .....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts