Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me like they are.

My son has a new car which has adaptive LED lights which are supposed to be on high beam permanently but shut down certain LED elements when they recognise an oncoming car.

They invariably don’t work properly so he tells me.

But LED and Xenon's are much brighter than old halogen tech.

Also I read somewhere that most of the electric ones have a blue colour tinge to them.

I suppose Ship nav lights are also ……………… no, no , no, I wont go there .........… far too complex :)

·
King Ratt
1,955 Posts
I reckon you are correct, Willincity. Brighter to the point of oncoming vehicles dazzling me, although supposedly dipped. I also think cars seem to be getting bigger, perhaps it is the parking spaces which are getting smaller. I have a Honda Jazz and it always appears to be dwarfed in the local Tesco/Aldi/Morrison parking areas.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Two issues here, yes car lights are getting brighter, particularly the LED and Xenon ones compared to the old filament bulbs. Construction and Use regulations require that these lights are self adjusting for car load and have washer systems fitted to reduce the effect on other road users.

BUT

Retrofit conversions to Xenon are available on eBay for the boy racers amongst us, these do not satisfy C&U but are seldom detected, especially if changed out for the MoT and do dazzle other road users. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55W-H1-H...m=152938126451&_trksid=p2045573.c101006.m3226

·
Registered
488 Posts
I reckon you are correct, Willincity. Brighter to the point of oncoming vehicles dazzling me, although supposedly dipped. I also think cars seem to be getting bigger, perhaps it is the parking spaces which are getting smaller. I have a Honda Jazz and it always appears to be dwarfed in the local Tesco/Aldi/Morrison parking areas.
Some so bright here especially on narrow roads I can no longer drive at night.

·
Registered
4,962 Posts
Not only are these new lights blinding when I meet them on a narrow road at night but cars behind need the interior mirror dipped and the wing mirrors adjusted or I have trouble seeing the verge ahead. I reckon a lot of drivers do not adjust the height on dipped beam, a feature on many cars these days. It is great to meet an old car with properly adjusted tungston lights .
Crawford.

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
My old Morris 8 had the standard fitting, a solenoid moved reflector on one side, the other side switched off. 6 volt and the old reflector meant that even when upgraded to 2 dippers, it was often easier to put the lights out, switch them on when someone came the other way.

Coming home from the village, a barn owl used to wait and use the light to hunt the hedge in front of the car. Today's lights would probably have left her featherless and smoking.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thing to remember if you are an older person the problem with lights dazzling you may not be the car but may be a sign that you are developing cataracts. That was my experience anyway

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do kids steal LEDs nowadays instead of hub caps/wheels.

I can see it now outside Anfield football ground,
"Mind yer blue LED headlights, mister? Only a fiver, la."

I assume kids around Anfield still do that because not a lot else has changed there :)

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
I don't do much driving at night these days but I haven't noticed a problem with these brighter headlights. Sometimes the HID ones (High Intensity Discharge) can seem brighter if the oncoming car goes over a slight rise pointing the car up a bit for a second or so.
One danger I do see is drivers who go too fast on dip to be able to see far enough ahead for hazards.
I welcome decent lights having had an American Lincoln with notoriously poor headlights. The only way to get about at night was to leave them on high beam and even then they weren't so good. I never got anyone flash me for blinding them either and they were adjusted correctly.

JJ.

·
Premium Member
10,418 Posts
As an experienced and exclusive pedestrian I find the more dangerous aspect that they are not of the same 'strength'. In a string of traffic it is the odd dimly lit vehicle that entices one to expect a gap worthy of an attempt to cross the road. Especially so at twilight when some may have none or only sides showing.

If there were to be another bit of embedded technology mandated it might be to enforce a common lighting up time. Might also limit the additional fuel used in Scandinavian built cars by lighting them continuously.

·
Registered
701 Posts

I assume kids around Anfield still do that because not a lot else has changed there :)
Apparently stripping a parked fiesta can be quite lucrative nowadays.

·
Registered
701 Posts
. I also think cars seem to be getting bigger, perhaps it is the parking spaces which are getting smaller. I have a Honda Jazz and it always appears to be dwarfed in the local Tesco/Aldi/Morrison parking areas.
I read somewhere that later models of the same car have got wider because off all the safety features they have added. I agree with your parking comment, our I1O will fit in the boot of some of the monsters parked up.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
As an experienced and exclusive pedestrian I find the more dangerous aspect that they are not of the same 'strength'. In a string of traffic it is the odd dimly lit vehicle that entices one to expect a gap worthy of an attempt to cross the road. Especially so at twilight when some may have none or only sides showing.

If there were to be another bit of embedded technology mandated it might be to enforce a common lighting up time. Might also limit the additional fuel used in Scandinavian built cars by lighting them continuously.
The extra fuel used was always negligible and is even more so today as most cars with day running lights (most cars now not just Volvos etc.) use LEDs.

There was someone on the radio a while back saying that running with headlights used about 20% more fuel or something ridiculous like that but that was only at idle and only when the alternator was charging. Modern vehicles don't charge the battery at all until it drops below a certain point so no load on the engine to use extra fuel.

The people who converted our new Campervan have to modify the alternator circuit as the leisure batteries weren't being charged using the traditional split-charge relay when the vehicle battery was fully charged. Basically they had to find a way of telling lies to the vehicle's electronics and make it think the vehicle battery was low!

·
Registered
2,040 Posts

I worked with Jaguar years back. One of the Jaguar managers parked his company car round the corner from the Kelvin Hall in Glasgow during the Scottish Motor Show. A couple of young lads came up to him and said, "Watch you car for 50p". He pointed out that his Alsatian was sleeping on the back seat so his car would be fine. He stared walking down he road when one of the lads shouted after him, " Hey mister, can your dog put out fires?" Needless to say he paid up!

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
(EEK)
Thing to remember if you are an older person the problem with lights dazzling you may not be the car but may be a sign that you are developing cataracts. That was my experience anyway
Thats right, it puzzled me for a couple of years why I was getting dazzled by oncoming headlights. Then an eye test diagnosed cataracts.
Now, with two new lens implants I no longer get dazzled.(Thumb)

·
Registered
14,250 Posts

Really? You have been there recently or are you just recycling some tired old stereotypes?(Smoke)

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Cataracts? I had some tense moments today during a two hours ride against a very low sun. Sometimes I had to trust the rear lights of the car ahead, as that was really all that I saw. And once, when changing lane and moving in behind a big lorry I did not for a few seconds realise that the big flat end of that car war whirling up a lot of snow, and I thought I was totally blinded, before finally turning on the wipers - and finding myself straddling two lanes.

Sun must be low in Britain these days as well, how does those of you that are sure you have no cataracts cope?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts