Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our increased girth is hard to miss as we age, but how many of us are aware we are shorter than we used to be?

My discharge book at age seventeen showed me a healthy 5'11'' and still growing. A passport when I was twenty five had me at 6' 1". Now at 84 my medical to-day has me down to a mere 5' 11 & a half. Where will it end?

I can only surmise those two inches are now hdden in my waistline- and some!

Nick

·
Registered
716 Posts
Huh ! I was 5' 91/2" at 16. I had an accident when I was 25.

I was measured by a new GP when I was 40 years old and was 5' 7".

Turns out the neck and shoulder injury I suffered caused spinal damage and the loss of height.

I was then paid Incapacity Benefit, which I should have received since the accident.

ATB

Laurie.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
My late Mother always used to say we all 'grow into a smaller space!'
I am nearly 2 inches less than I was 50 years ago,but 5 stone heavier.
Geoff

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It’s called gravity. It pulls you down eventually. And the gravity of the situation is that the decrease in height corresponds to the increase in girth. That’s my excuse anyway.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
We are built a bit like that pile of splodge of whatever, leave us in the sun too long and we spread and shorten the heap.

Bob

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Surely it has a simple explanation! Between each vertebrae we have a disc of cartilage, and as each one thins with age, we grow shorter.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I thought there had to be a reason. Actually I first wrote with tongue in cheek but forgot to add a smiley!

Nick

·
Registered
246 Posts
Our increased girth is hard to miss as we age, but how many of us are aware we are shorter than we used to be?

My discharge book at age seventeen showed me a healthy 5'11'' and still growing. A passport when I was twenty five had me at 6' 1". Now at 84 my medical to-day has me down to a mere 5' 11 & a half. Where will it end?

I can only surmise those two inches are now hdden in my waistline- and some!

Nick
Girth,eh mmmm.oh yeah,got you.(Jester)

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
Many years ago I read that many of the POWs held in Japan came home shorter.

And yes my girth got larger over the year's.

Not the only thing that's got shorter I must add.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
My Missus, very short, has been taking Calcium tablets to stop her shrinking, I can't afford her to get any smaller. 4'8".

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Aircrew who are forced to use their ejector seat end up slightly shorter due to the violence of the ejection.

·
Registered
11,550 Posts
You are correct Ray they call it Compression Fractures. I went thru Ejection Seat Training but thank goodness I never had to eject from a fast moving aircraft, but made many regular jumps from a C-130 however those jumps only put a strain on the family Jewels and at times made you speak with a squeaky voice.

·
Registered
6,923 Posts
Never stand if you can sit. Never sit if you can lie. I have the co-ordination of a camel. I loathe sport because I am hopeless at it. I could not hit a stationary ball (as in golf), let alone a moving ball (as in many if not most other sports).

I am aged 76. My GP calls me in each year for an MoT. Usually this involves three blood tests - with results delivered by the Nurse a few days later. Each year (so far) the Nurse has said, " Mr Youde, you are as healthy as a butcher's dog." And, feeling about ten feet tall, I go on my way.

At 6 ft 2 I am at the same height as at 18. I admit to being breathless, sometimes.

Earlier this week an old friend (aged 63) suggested that we should take a bike ride to Chester (about 12 miles away) for lunch. I agreed, happily, warning my friend that I might be a bit slow. Came the day, and he said,"You go in front and set the pace." After about fifteen minutes my good friend (from some distance behind) called, " You are a dark horse! Your pace is not slow!", pleading that he could not keep up.

Recently I read a history of the SAS, with much reference to Colonel David Stirling, its founder. He was 6ft 4. It said of him, "He disliked sport and would avoid it if possible." I warmed to him!

I am hugely grateful for my good health and have not yet shrunk.

ps I drink far too much whisky, also.

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
I am following your example John, about to go to Oz on holiday and will be stocking up to our six

Bobbottle duty free allowance as we return through Auckland airport !

·
Registered
6,923 Posts

Bliss it was that morning, cycling at speed along the former railway track, heading south with the sun in our faces and the wind abaft the beam!

I felt about ten years of age again!

·
Premium Member
10,422 Posts
That line of Wordsworth was revolutionary, Barrie. Don't let the homework cheats get to you! We would not like the sky to need to fall.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts