Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The second ship names Ark Royal was lost on Nov 14th 1941 off Gib after being hit by a trop from U81. I have been given some personal memento photos of Ark Royal sinking. MY question is this. What are those latttice work appendages sticking out at 90 degrees from the flight deck. My thought was plane or people catchers. Some of my former army comrades think the same. They were images taken by Richard Park a seaman on board HMS Viddete and later HMS Whimbrel.
RWPark Ark Royal.jpg

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Hi Mike,
Long time, no speak!
I asked the same question some time ago.
They are radio aerial masts. When flight operations were taking place, they were lowered, as seen in the photo. They would have the antenna wire strung between them and, therefore, represented an obstruction/obstacle to the planes.
Stay safe!
Best Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi Dave, Unless I have something important to find out, or a nice photo to post, I generally leave you all alone. Here are some more Ark pics. They have never before seen the light of day.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Fantastic photos of a sad event, Mike, thanks for posting! What a source, as well, someone who was there and had their camera handy.

Best Regards,
Dave
(Remember "Aitch", my grandfather who worked for "Spillers, the millers")

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fantastic photos of a sad event, Mike, thanks for posting! What a source, as well, someone who was there and had their camera handy.

Best Regards,
Dave
(Remember "Aitch", my grandfather who worked for "Spillers, the millers")
hard to believe he is, like me, a grandfather now

1 - 5 of 5 Posts