Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my granddaughters is due to start "Big" school at Beverley High School, a school for girls only next year. Beverley Grammar is for the boys. The pooh has hit the fan because a little lad in her class, 11 years old, thinks that he is a girl and wants to be a girl. He already tells the kids that he wants to be known as Kate! I have no problem with that per se apart from is 11 years old too young to be making such decisions?
The problem has arisen that one of the other parents has stepped forward and said it is a girls school and like it or not, he is a boy and this Dad does not want him using the same toilets etc so has objected. There is currently a battle going on about what constitutes a boy or girl and at what point is the crossover. It will be an interesting year, what do people think?

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
One of my granddaughters is due to start "Big" school at Beverley High School, a school for girls only next year. Beverley Grammar is for the boys. The pooh has hit the fan because a little lad in her class, 11 years old, thinks that he is a girl and wants to be a girl. He already tells the kids that he wants to be known as Kate! I have no problem with that per se apart from is 11 years old too young to be making such decisions?
The problem has arisen that one of the other parents has stepped forward and said it is a girls school and like it or not, he is a boy and this Dad does not want him using the same toilets etc so has objected. There is currently a battle going on about what constitutes a boy or girl and at what point is the crossover. It will be an interesting year, what do people think?
I feel sorrow for the kid. But just imagine how much worse his life would be at a boy's school calling himself a girl?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anything from the boy/girl's parents on this? Surely they have some input at 11yo!!!!! Are they the problem?

JJ.
They are fighting to make it happen John. I don't know them personally but my daughter in law has said they are quite liberal. They might be better served, and maybe they have already, trying to advise the lad and make sure he is fully informed as 11 is a bit young to be making a decision of this enormity. In the current society, I am sure it is a common issue. Just wondered if any of the other members have encountered it? I take Expats point that it could be worse for the lad if he went to Beverley grammar saying he was a girl! New world, new problem! I believe in live and let live with these things but either way it will be difficult for the poor kid.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Speaking to a surgeon who has had some involvement on the ethical side of this he said that there are a significant number of young people who have had reassignment surgery then realised that they had made the wrong decision and wished to reverse and go back to their "Birth" gender.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I do not believe it will be too "difficult" for him. There are enough trannie and other so called progressive outfits that will see him fair.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
A bit like a vasectomy . At one time it was irreversible - now one can a spool-piece fitted.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Speaking to a surgeon who has had some involvement on the ethical side of this he said that there are a significant number of young people who have had reassignment surgery then realised that they had made the wrong decision and wished to reverse and go back to their "Birth" gender.
Very true Duncan, as I say, 11 seems to be a very young age to be making decisions that may impact you for the rest of your days.

·
Registered
895 Posts
An emotive subject for all those concerned, but as others have said, probably a bit young to reach an informed decision, I wonder how much of his yearning was influenced by his parents, was it to fulfil their own wishes for a different gender child. However in today's world anything goes, but all we can do is wish the child well for the future.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An emotive subject for all those concerned, but as others have said, probably a bit young to reach an informed decision, I wonder how much of his yearning was influenced by his parents, was it to fulfil their own wishes for a different gender child. However in today's world anything goes, but all we can do is wish the child well for the future.
Here here!

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
What a problem for the parents.
I guess I'd try to find a trusted friend whom the child respects to counsel the boy against making a hasty decision until puberty was well and truly past.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I'd try to find a trusted friend whom the child respects to counsel the boy against making a hasty decision until puberty was well and truly past.
A good idea and if the boy still wants to do it when he hits his early 20's then at least you could say that he was informed and more experienced in life and you might accept his decision. When I posted the original post I should have added that the boy has even mentioned having the full change in due course.

Probably like the rest of you at 11 years old we only had thoughts for football, cricket, train sets etc. How times of change.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wise advice. Children realise their parents have bias one way or another. Sometimes talking to a third party enables them to see more clearly.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A very good point Robert. Hopefully the parents will also see this. Do you guys think that he should be allowed to go to the girls school next year. That is the major talking point at the moment.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Surely Greta What'sherface could advise us all ........................

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Personally, No. Why not a mixed Comprehensive?

JJ.
To be honest John, that's what I said to my lad. Apparently the parents are loving the fight a bit too much. But I don't know them so that is only a second hand opinion.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Maybe the fact that the single sex schools are somewhat higher (3 and 4) in the local league tables (and both rated "Above Average") than the local mixed school (Longcroft, rated "Below Average").

Now, if it is somewhat easier to get into the Girl's School than the Boy's we may have an answer.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
A good idea and if the boy still wants to do it when he hits his early 20's then at least you could say that he was informed and more experienced in life and you might accept his decision. When I posted the original post I should have added that the boy has even mentioned having the full change in due course.

Probably like the rest of you at 11 years old we only had thoughts for football, cricket, train sets etc. How times of change.
Yes times have changed. Let's remember that when we were at school being a homosexual male was still illegal. Here in Scotland that was only got rid of in 1981!

I definitely had friends who hid their sexuality because of fear and only "came out" much later in life due to that. It must have caused a lot of stress and no doubt some suicides could be put down to that.

Must admit I do find it difficult at times when some gay people have to keep on telling us that they are. After all very few heterosexuals go round declaring their sexuality constantly but then again we were not suppressed for centuries!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts