Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sent by E mail to admin by a non member, Any ideas?

I am a Writer in Aruba and I am trying to write a story of a big anchor and chain that was lost by a tanker whole throwing the anchor south of Aruba.
It is said that the tanker was a VLCC or a ULCC. The anchor was manufactured by a German Foundry, the Deutche Bundes Patent (DBP) which began making this type of anchor around 1960. The serial numbes on it are: 4112 and 4115. It also has a number 21772K, guess the weight in kilos. It is 10 feet six inches wide and about 15 feet six inches tall. The anchor is now a
monument placed outside of the Aruba Refinery's Gate and it is the most photographed by the tourists. What I am still researching is the name of the tanker that lost it. The anchor was lost between 1970 - 1980. Some people suggest that it was an Esso tanker. I will appreciate if you can help identify the ship's name or any other information will be highly appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I believe. it was the anchor of an Esso VLCC. Cannot recall which one. Happened duiring seventies. Likely to be either the Esso Cambria or Esso Scotia but more likely the latter which was built by A.G.Weser, Bremerhaven and launched in March 1969.
Tony Greenwood

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Tony,

The Esso Scotia was launched at:

Esso Scotia - 7.1969 - 127,158 GT, Built by A.G.Weser, Bremerhaven;the Cambria was built at:
Esso Cambria - 12.1969 - 127,158 GT, Built by Verolme Dok en Scheepsbouw N.V., Rozenburg[Rotterdam]

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
If my memory serves me well its from the Esso Europa and I think the locals call the site Playa Hundu and is very popular with Divers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts