Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would anyone have a Photo/information on the Ashbank - Harland and Wolff ship number 1592 - Launched in Belfast, Tuesday 27 January 1959.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
the yard said:
Would anyone have a Photo/information on the Ashbank - Harland and Wolff ship number 1592 - Launched in Belfast, Tuesday 27 January 1959.
You probably already know this:-
Ashbank yard number 1592 launched 27th January 1959 delivered 2nd May 1959. Sister ship Rosebank yard number 1593 Launched 30th December 1958 delivered 3rd April 1959. Ashbank 8694 Rosebank 8693 gross tons. Both built in Belfast for Andrew Weir & Co.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To all that have taken the time to reply - Many thanks (Applause)

Sorry to be a pain - but I've also been looking a photo/information on the Crestbank - launched Friday 15 February 1957, Belfast.

So far with no success - any info would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Crestbank details
Built H&W Belfast yard number 1549 Launched 15th February 1957 delivered 7th June 1957 6459 gross tons for Andrew Weir & Co. Sister Cloverbank yard number 1548 Launched 21st december 1956 delivered 7th March 1957.
Close relations but not exactly sisters were Carronbank yard number 1550 & Dartbank yard number 1551. The last two in the series but were very different were Garrybank yard number 1552 & Minchbank yard number 1553 this pair were 8693 gross tons.

I have photographs somewhere in my collection and I'll try to find them however I'm sure Ruud (the oracle) will beat me to it. (Thumb)

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Thanks Ruud, good one, havent seen that picture of her before..she wanst a bad looking vessel in her time...shame I never got to sail on her!!.

·
Registered
19 Posts
very interesting re ashbank built harlands. from this was able to find pic fm
recommended site from my old ship avonbank but still unabe to find pic of elmbank which was my first bankboat aybody help?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Elmbank

Check out this site - http://www.ship-photos.com/framestart.html

I noticed the Elmbank on it at one time.

Yard No. : 1636
Vessel Type: Cargo Ship
Built: Belfast
Keel Laid: 14 January 1959
Launch Date: Tuesday 29 December 1959
Slip Number: Victoria Yard - 18
Launched By: No Naming Ceremony
Handover Date: Thursday 28 April 1960
Owner: Andrew Weir & Co.
Weight: 8694 grt
BP Length: 450 Feet
OA Length: 483-4 Feet
Breath: 62-6 Feet
Depth: 38-6 Feet
No. of Screws: Single
Speed (Approx.): ? Knots
Propulsion: Harland and Wolff - B & W Single Acting (S.A.)2 stroke crosshead, eccentric type, opposed pistons, turbo charged diesel 6 cylinder. 5,800 SHP

·
Registered
19 Posts
Elmbank

many thanks for all info re MV Elmbank will check out site. was on her on final voyage for andrew weir/Bankline ,sold to greek owners and handed over
Shimonoseki Japan and renamed Blue Wave, March 1977.sounds like you must be an old Harland and Bluffs man best regards Sean

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Ivy Bank

Greetings! Anyone got a picture of the "Ivy Bank" circa 1951? she was the old Sam Yorke I think, spent close to two years in her running phosphate south to New Zealand and Ozz from Ocean Island and Narua,met a guy from Ozz the other day who worked for the jail syatem in Ozz, and he said they were "Thinking"of putting a penal colony on Narua (Night) ,a great place for one

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ashbank was my first ship as Deck Apprentice, a twenty month trip. Joined her in New Zealand. Captain Banach(1st trip Master) When that crew paid off in Hamburg Captain J.W. Greig joined. What a wake up call!Inspection every week no matter if you were at sea or in port.The mate was his first trip in Bank Line, got sent home from Calcutta about three months later, To my knowledge nothing to do with J W Greig. Di Rees joined as mate later when we arrived in Durban.
John Milne

·
Registered
525 Posts
sean said:
many thanks for all info re MV Elmbank will check out site. was on her on final voyage for andrew weir/Bankline ,sold to greek owners and handed over
Shimonoseki Japan and renamed Blue Wave, March 1977.sounds like you must be an old Harland and Bluffs man best regards Sean
Sailed on Elmbank. 1973/4 as Lecky. She could be hard work if you didn't keep on top of the job. Picture posted as 'Lecky' in Gallery-Life on board.

·
Premium Member
946 Posts
Greetings! Anyone got a picture of the "Ivy Bank" circa 1951? she was the old Sam Yorke I think, spent close to two years in her running phosphate south to New Zealand and Ozz from Ocean Island and Narua,met a guy from Ozz the other day who worked for the jail syatem in Ozz, and he said they were "Thinking"of putting a penal colony on Narua (Night) ,a great place for one
is this the correct Ivybank?-- my caption is for 1943 though.

Attachments

·
Registered
935 Posts
I think Ivybank was launched as Samyork in 1943 but the ref book I am using has been proven wrong before (like the weather forecast really!!) cheers.........pete

1 - 20 of 39 Posts