Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a bit out of touch, on the build programme with the Astute Class.
How many are in service? And how many still in build?
I am currently reading The Silent Deep (again), and it brought to mind the issues we had then with numbers. Where is the RN with attack subs? And if we are in short supply, what is being done?
From what I read 4 SSBNs was not enough to maintain a credible deterrent, and 5 was the original intent. Does the same apply to the SSNs?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I am a bit out of touch, on the build programme with the Astute Class.
How many are in service? And how many still in build?
I am currently reading The Silent Deep (again), and it brought to mind the issues we had then with numbers. Where is the RN with attack subs? And if we are in short supply, what is being done?
From what I read 4 SSBNs was not enough to maintain a credible deterrent, and 5 was the original intent. Does the same apply to the SSNs?
Hi Nick,
I believe that 4 are in service and another 3 are in build.
I believe that one of their many claims to fame is that there is a bunk for every crew member. (No more hot-bunking!)
<smile> Regards, Mike

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Currently three in service, one in the Devonshire Dock Basin fitting out, and three in various stages of construction around BAE Barrow.

The programme is currently so far behind schedule that the last Astute will be fitting out at the same time as the first Dreadnought class that follows

·
Registered
8 Posts
Currently three in service, one in the Devonshire Dock Basin fitting out, and three in various stages of construction around BAE Barrow.

The programme is currently so far behind schedule that the last Astute will be fitting out at the same time as the first Dreadnought class that follows[/QUOTE

Jeez! Better hope the first Dreadnought isn’t delayed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts