Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This film was originally a Standard 8mm Cine film which I converted digitally using a Winait Film Scanner.

The film shows the Athlone Castle visiting Capetown and 2 other ports. There are views of Capetown and the Table Mountain and other ships in the Port. Towards the end of the film Crew members are shown sunbathing on the foredeck of the Athlone Castle plus locals selling their goods to the ships' passengers on deck.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Great movie we almost saw the green flash as the sun went down :) . I sailed with a C/E on the Denholm's gas turbine boats who had been on the Pendennis Castle he talked about it so much he was called Pendennis John can't remember his real name though.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Thanks for that, brought back many memories. Served my apprenticeship from 1960 to 1965 in Dock Road power station, its the shot of the station with the 2 big silver chimneys.

·
Registered
4 Posts
This film was originally a Standard 8mm Cine film which I converted digitally using a Winait Film Scanner.

The film shows the Athlone Castle visiting Capetown and 2 other ports. There are views of Capetown and the Table Mountain and other ships in the Port. Towards the end of the film Crew members are shown sunbathing on the foredeck of the Athlone Castle plus locals selling their goods to the ships' passengers on deck.

Thanks for the excellent film! Brought back great memories for my wife who sailed from London back home to Cape Town as a tiny tot with her mother on this ship around September to November 1959. Do you have any further photos of the Athlone Castle or perhaps dates of its voyages? Cheers, David

·
Registered
9 Posts
he film shows the Athlone Castle visiting Capetown and 2 other ports. There are views of Capetown and the Table Mountain and other ships in the Port. Towards the end of the film Crew members are shown sunbathing on the foredeck of the Athlone Castle plus locals selling their goods to the ships' passengers on deck
Hi:
The other two places appear to be Durban and Port Elizabeth-PE where I grew up in 60's and Durban where I spent time with Unicorn late 70's

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for that, brought back many memories. Served my apprenticeship from 1960 to 1965 in Dock Road power station, its the shot of the station with the 2 big silver chimneys.
Re your comment on the silver chimneys, those belonged to Table Bay power station which was adjacent to the old Dock Road unit. Wonder if you knew my dad, Alf (chevvy) Cheverton? He was one of the operating engineers who worked for the CTCouncil at Dock Road/Table Bay and then Athlone. He went back to sea with Safmarine in 1963 serving on the SA Victory, Drakenstein, Tzaneen and took delivery of the Morgenster in Japan. The Athlone Castle's nickname was the All Alone Castle.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts