Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any shipmates who would recall what happened to many of their vessels in the late 80's/early 90's prior to the final sale and dismantling of the company?
I am attempting to "add a final chapter" to the little WSS publication "History & Fleet List", published in Aug 1982.
Together with the "Cementco" ex 'Lake Barrine' of 1978 and the "Rivers-'Boyne' and 'Embley' of 1983 on the Weipa-Gladstone run, the only other survivor seems to be the 1977 built box ship "Australian Venture" that sails on as the "MSC Nuria" [IMO7416911].
Would be most appreciative of any help,seemingly trivial.
Many thanks, David D.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Morning David
I refer to your post a few years ago regarding the ANL ships. The MV Cementco is still Australian manned and trading on the coast. It's previous name was MS Lake Eldon. Happy to tell you more if you are still on the search

JPR

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
She was in fact Lake Eildon. And I'm pretty sure the Australian Venture has recently gone to the knackers.

Regards, Roy.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yarra River and River Torrens still trading on the Aus coast - flagged out and with Ukrainian crews - a familiar story - wasn't aware that the Ukrain even had a coast. Thats what happens when bean counters get involved in running shipping and governments support the cheapest option at any cost.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Australian Endeavour;

Anyone know what happened to her.
I beleive she made a final controversial voyage to Australia shortly before going to the breakers.

Can anyone expand on this.

Mike

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am sure that about 3 or so years ago, that Australian Endeavour was in at Port Botany, Sydney, under a different name and still as a steam turbine vessel. This, after we were earlier informed that she was "uneconomical" and had to be sold as part of the eventual "reform" (read destruction) of the Australian maritime industry.
In the recent drama program "Bastard Boys" shown on Australian television, there some footage of her at Webb Dock, Melbourne. A very interesting juxtaposition as the programme was about the "reform" of the waterfront.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ken
These two ships were owned by Adelaide Steamship Co. According to company history ("Fitted For The Voyage", Page, M.) : -
ALDINGA (2) 1921 - 1951. Laid down as "War Cloud", built as "Glenstal", Dublin Dockyard. Engines by Mackie & Baxter, Glasgow. Pass nil. 10knts on 27 tons. Sold to Neptune Shipping Co, South Africa(1951) Wrecked 1955.

AROONA 1921 - 49. ex "Cape of Good Hope". Built as "War Typhoon", Royalton Dixon, Middlesborough. Engine by Richardson Westgarth. Pass nil. 10knts on 27 tons. Sold to Union Enterprises Ltd., Hong Kong. Broken up 1955.
Did you sail on these two, Ken? How old are you, then, given AROONA left in 1949! I've found a pic of her which I will post later, but so far not one of ALDINGA, but I suppose they probably looked very alike.

·
Registered
87 Posts
.... I served my Apprenticeship with the Australian National Line (ACSC) ... sailed on the River Murrumbidgee, River Burnett, Mount Keirra,Lake Torrens, Princess of Tasmania, Lake Illawarra,Boonaroo,Bilkurra, and the final ship, Dubbo ( first berth as 3rd.Mate ) ..... I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have had the opportunity to have sailed and served my apprenticeship in the last of the River "Boats", with steam winches and Union Purchase Cargo handling gear. 'Privileged to have sailed, with probably the last of the "Extra Masters" with both Steam and Sail Endorsements. Even though this was in the time frame, 1960 to 1964, in reality, the shipping, characters and docks were like a time capsule, living in the 60s but also in late 30s, early 40s ! .... David K. ..

·
Registered
78 Posts
I am sure that about 3 or so years ago, that Australian Endeavour was in at Port Botany, Sydney, under a different name and still as a steam turbine vessel. This, after we were earlier informed that she was "uneconomical" and had to be sold as part of the eventual "reform" (read destruction) of the Australian maritime industry.
In the recent drama program "Bastard Boys" shown on Australian television, there some footage of her at Webb Dock, Melbourne. A very interesting juxtaposition as the programme was about the "reform" of the waterfront.
An Apt Observation of the deliberate destruction of the best mariners afloat.

Cheap ships Cheap labour Davy Jones is waiting for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
re- australian national line the mv cementco arrived at the chittagong breakers on the 12th november 2008 i sailed on her for 11 years 1996-2007 a excellent sea going ship. I do believe the ss river boyne and embley are still on the gladstone to weipa run.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Funny how the wheel of history always turns full circle! The ANL saw off most of the smaller Australian coastal companies, which originally ran regular services prior to WW2. Most, if not all, of the companies were decimated by wartime losses and never recovered after the war.

Most of "Australian" shipping was either owned or operated by non-Australian interests.... mainly UK.... and with the formation of ANL it was felt that at last Australia would control its own shipping interests. However the company ultimately suffered from the same malaise as those who went before....total and unremitting problems on the waterfront with the WWF. At sea with crewing problems and companies being forced to pay Australian rates of pay which were substantially higher than those operating under UK regs. Local ships became uncompetitive and often held to ransom.

The wheel turned full circle when ANL became too expensive to operate and, lo and behold, the company was sold to yet another overseas concern, this time not British but French.

Dulcibella

·
Registered
78 Posts
Funny how the wheel of history always turns full circle! The ANL saw off most of the smaller Australian coastal companies, which originally ran regular services prior to WW2. Most, if not all, of the companies were decimated by wartime losses and never recovered after the war.

Most of "Australian" shipping was either owned or operated by non-Australian interests.... mainly UK.... and with the formation of ANL it was felt that at last Australia would control its own shipping interests. However the company ultimately suffered from the same malaise as those who went before....total and unremitting problems on the waterfront with the WWF. At sea with crewing problems and companies being forced to pay Australian rates of pay which were substantially higher than those operating under UK regs. Local ships became uncompetitive and often held to ransom.

The wheel turned full circle when ANL became too expensive to operate and, lo and behold, the company was sold to yet another overseas concern, this time not British but French.

Dulcibella
I had a great time on the Timbarra the Talinga was her sister ship. We always had strikes in Newcastle the BHP went away to Port Kembla. The Newcastle BHP was something to behold in the 90's I wandered around there fixing things for Avery. Funny how empty it was it had never been upgraded that I thought was its downfall. It just looked so 1800's. However it did employ a lot of men my wifes pop included.

A great pity about the Aussie MN but of course the money dictated and now the ULCC's come in some have even missed the entrance!

Aussie seamen were superior to the ones sailing now a lot from the UK.

Thats why they deserved good wages ships were well managed and sailed.

Always painted too not scruffy like the present lot

Roy

·
Banned
2 Posts
Fellow Timbarra-ite here lol

Did my sentence..I mean my time on her lol

My father was on both sheesh, double life sentence lol

Hot things lol

Cheers

Gordy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Fellow Timbarra-ite here lol

Did my sentence..I mean my time on her lol

My father was on both sheesh, double life sentence lol

Hot things lol

Cheers

Gordy
I think the om became marine super I remember writing them for references as AWA would not give one. Tried to go back so years later and found sparks were all gone replaced by machines. Tried the upgrade and had a nasty conversation with so old bag in Melbourne Have u had any recent seagoing experience huh how does one forget that. Got the ****s proper I don't(Applause) think they ever planned to sail on.

Sparky Roy

·
Registered
503 Posts
I understand at one stage the AMU were a major share holder in ANL. Is that correct and if so when were they owners?

Regards
Blair
Central Hawkes Bay
NZ

·
Registered
18,774 Posts
My understanding is that ANL was owned by the Austrlaian government - ie there were no shareholders. (until they decided to flog it off, of course).
I suspect John Halfpenny would turn in his grave if he read your post.

John T.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Hi John T
I thought that the AMU brought into ANL at the time the OZ Government sold it off. It was either that or they were, at least one member or the AMU, was brought in as a Board Member just before it was sold. Cannot remember which.

Regards
Blair
CHB
NZ

1 - 20 of 38 Posts