Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
zolapower said:
my mum can recollect dad telling her about a trip into china, where all camera's were confiscated. He kept his and took some photos apparently
She's right.....they even wired and padlocked the radar scanner.....but I'm convinced your Dad had has camera secreted away and that middle snap is definitely Shanghai.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Trident.....Never had the inclination to go ashore in Shanghai...we only stayed overnight to load a few tons of hops, on the old Radnorshire.
I do remember the regimented gangs of Mao workers marching to work and looking over the side to see the women prepare meals of rice and cabbage on their sampans (for breakfast,dinner and tea !!!!)
Then the Chinese crew going down the gangway with their Hercules bicycles and Singer sewing machines to give to their wives (who they saw for six hours about every five years. What a life eh ??????
Thankfully,on a recent private visit to Hong Kong, there was evidence of a complete transformation, with tourists from mainland China spending money in Mongkok like water !!!!!

·
Registered
156 Posts
R58484956 said:
Recently returned from Shanghai, a truly remarkable city, the expansion is something to see, skyscrapers by the dozens, shipyards flat out building by the dozen. The neon scene on a river cruise at night is unblievable. The trip to the airport on the maglev at 432 kph (268mph) is a new experience, when more money is available it will go to Beijing.
My financial adviser is always telling me to invest there......best advice I ever had. The profits will pay for next year's trip. !!!!
Hong Kong Airport and connections was a joy to use, so guess one must go back to Shanghai to compare.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.