Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 72 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
I sailed with Chief Engineer Freddie Fox in either the Pozarica or Palomares when with MacAndrews on the London – Lisbon run. I recall a personable man who hailed from down Surrey way.

Keith
That's interesting Keith, as I am sure he was ex MacAndrews in addition to Geest. He hailed from Chichester. Would be in his early 80s now.

Ian

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The last time I saw Freddy he was in the process of selling his house in Godalming, Surrey about the year 1963/64. I have no knowledge of where he moved to afterwards. You are right, Ian, he would be into his 80s by now, A very stylish man as I recall and a good shipmate.

Keith

·
Registered
192 Posts
An interloper
I was R/O on Barranca 1973
Cpts Gilbert, Hodges, Dole
Mate C Leitch
My apologies.
Others Danny Cunningham, Glynn Chilcott, Danny Gilmore, Mick Felton
C/stw Len Palin
At that time we ran Galveston- P.Cortes then up to Gulfport,alternating with Bayano.

We had a few Hurricane encounters were on one occasion whilst berthed at Gulfport we were summoned to return to the V/L, (we were ashore).
Having sailed to meet the hurricane and having ridden it out, we returned to port. The US auxiliary v/l previously berthed in front of us, ignoring the warning, was now up the beach..

As R/O I did 7 months, what a time !!!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Nigel (Hibby)

Anyone remember a Chief Engineer called "Whispering" Jack Russel of Elders & Fyffes? I sailed with him once on the "M-Class" motor ships (can't remember which one). His hobby was building model railway steam engines. Even had rails round his garden. Really nice guy - didn't even get cross with me when I "blew the tubes" over him and his wife on the boat deck one afternoon (sometime in the late 70's). Tall guy with dark curly hair and a beard (looked like a real "Chief") and always spoke quietly because he was hard of hearing and was scared of talking too loud.
Remember me, we were at Highbury tech together.
I sailed with whispering Jack for a short time on the Manzanares when I was 3rd Eng in 81. He spent many hours in the workshop with parts of his locomotives.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Brains SA

I remember the con club. What a good pint of SA know locally as skull attack as I recall.
Dry docked there twice on the Temple Inn & Musa late 70s early 80s
Dave Gillies

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
I sailed on three banana boats referred to as skin boats in the 1950.The Tilapa the Nicola,and the Chirrapo,when on the Tilapa the other o.s.was Peter Newlands in Jamaica the old man sent for him when he came back he said the old man told him he had been awarded the B.E.M.and gave him a drink.He must have been one of the youngest ever to be awarded the honour It was for saving a shipmate who fell in the doc at Rotterdam.I have often wondered where Peter is now he must be my age 82,if anyone knows about Peter I would be grateful for news.Stay Well.Tom Roberts.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Sailed on the banana boat Shieldhall not Elders & Fyffes, but Glasgow Corporation, now preserved and sailing the Solent.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Remember me, we were at Highbury tech together.
I sailed with whispering Jack for a short time on the Manzanares when I was 3rd Eng in 81. He spent many hours in the workshop with parts of his locomotives.
Hi Kit
Did you join the Manzanares in Dieppe, If it was you i seem to remember you joined with a case of beer.
I was on the Manzaneres as Junior engineer with whispering Jack and i remember i needed a bit of copper to make a washer, found a nice sheet and cut a piece out. Little did i know that it was ordered by the Whispering Jack for his steam engines.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Kit
Did you join the Manzanares in Dieppe, If it was you i seem to remember you joined with a case of beer.
I was on the Manzaneres as Junior engineer with whispering Jack and i remember i needed a bit of copper to make a washer, found a nice sheet and cut a piece out. Little did i know that it was ordered by the Whispering Jack for his steam engines.
Hi, yes, I did join in Dieppe. I would need to check my discharge book but certainly sailed on the Manazanares with “whispering Jack”. Have been trying to put names to many pics and now I have another; cheers.

61 - 72 of 72 Posts