Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Great shot and ship.Swan Hunter built 1972 wit 5 sisters:CORABANK-CLYDEBANK_FORTHBANK-MEADOWBANK and MORAYBANK.
Gp

·
Banned
8 Posts
Was the Roachbank built at Sunderland I sailed from the Tyne with her 21st December 1978 on sea trials but did not return to the Tyne, she may have been a Sunderland ship in the Tyne for a drydock before hand over.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
Stephen Swinhoe said:
Jeff,
Roachbank was built at the Deptford Shipyard(Laings)Sunderland ,she was ship No905 and I have her as being launched on 25.5.78.
Was she not built at Doxford's? Most of Bank Line vessels, from the 70's, were built there.

·
Banned
8 Posts
when we sailed from the Tyne on 21st December 1978 it must have been her final trial before hand over. she must have Drydocked on the Tyne, we did an all day trial, Compass adjusted and calibrated the D/F. I think we then returned to thw Wear that same day as I was on another ship out of the Tyne on the 22nd.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
i have a photo of her leaving HULLon her last trip before going to her new owners making one trip and then on to the scrap yard sad to see her go after doing so meany repairs on her over her 25 years of trading to HULL after round the world trips.
sam

·
Registered
408 Posts
Pat,

Roachbank was one of three 'fish' class Bank Line ships built at Deptford,the other two were Ruddbank and Troutbank,three others were built at Pallion(Doxfords).

·
Banned
8 Posts
The funny thing about being the Pilot on a brand new Bank line ship in 1978 was that when I finished my apprenticeship on the Tyne in 1968 I had to find a company that would employ me as third mate without a ticket, I needed 18 months sea time before I could take my ticket. I wrote to Bank line because I wanted to get out to New Zealand but they wrote back "It is not our custom to employ uncertificated third mates." 10 years later I was stood on the bridge of their newest vessel.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Common Brothers took me on, They used to say Common by name common by nature, but they always treated me OK, so I have no regrets, I wanted to get out to NZ as I had plenty of kin out there, I did make it but not till 2002 on holiday.

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
Went to Invercargill on holiday a few years back, signed in at a bed and breakfast place and the land lord said " I know exactly where you live on a staggered Xroads"
his brother was my next door neighbour 2 miles up the road. Small world.

·
Registered
935 Posts
R58484956 said:
Jeff you were lucky that they did not employ you,Bank Line were B***** awful.
Sorry shipmate but I sailed with them for 15/16 years and genuinely enjoyed my time with them. Oh Well, Horses for courses I guess..............pete

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
well done JEFF that the way to tell them. the name is sam i live in HULL had my own ship repair yard in HULL and used to repair the bank boats. still in touch with the super that looked after them. as i say JEFF that the way to tell them
SAM

·
Registered
935 Posts
Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear. Why do people who have NOT sailed with Bank Line get so fraught about their vessels and conditions on board.............pete

·
Registered
517 Posts
ZIMBA, did anyone come across this little ship used by Lord Inverforth as a quiet place to hold board meetings, usually based Southampton, ?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I served as a Deck Officer cadet (Bilge Diver) for four years from 1966 to 1970. I served on the Pinebank, Sprucebank (copra run) Streambank, Rowanbank(another Copra boat) & Forresbank(would you believe another Copra boat) I can honestly say they were the best and most memorable days of my life. It was hard work sometimes but if I had my time again I would do it again.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts