Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with any memories of Sydney and Rosie.
I nearly got caught how many of you did?
Judging by the number of hits on my Weirbank and Sprucebank photos there are quite a few old Bankie codgers out there.
Memories please gentlemen.
Let's all share the good times (*)) (*))

·
Registered
29 Posts
Knew a "Bankline Phil" from Melbourne on the Corabank in 76. Heavy lift job. Fell for our marconi sahib, a nice irish lad from newtonards called davy. Buggered up his bunk apparently. Went back on the teviotbank in 78 on a NYK charter, no sign of her. Only did the 'upmarket" copra boats. Heart of gold by all accounts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I remember both Rosie (and Harry) & Phil well. Phil, along with her three similarly proportioned pals usually arrived alongside in their cruelly overloaded VW Beetle, hot on the agent's heels and always anxious to get in a full shift before the first hatch was opened. Then, some time in the late seventies they simple disappeared without trace. I did hear on the grapevine that Big Phil had died from a massive heart attack but no one ever seemed to know anything for sure.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Sailed with an "Aussie "on the "Ivy Bank" a fireman, who titled himself" Lower the boom Clancy Moore" who could start a fight in an empty house,(got me jailed in the islands) his side kick was an AB who said his dad was harbour master in Sydney circa 1950,they were both let go in Cardiff when we payed off, with the usual demerits as I recall Don't see much reference to the "Ivy Bank" on this site but I spent two happy years aboard her ,with such shipmates as " the Sherriff of Shire Moor" (Ronnie Lonberg" )and the "seventh Earl of Seaton Sluice" Gerry O'Niel and a lot more" Geordies" The day I joined her I thought I had joined the wrong ship, as I could not understand a word they said, but after a couple of weeks I was quite conversational in "Pitmatic" (Applause)

·
Banned
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Way before my time Hamish.
By time I got to Bankline all the crews were Indian or Pakistani. Anybody know when they changed?

Bit before the time I'm thinking of as well.
Late 60s early 70s a lot of young lasses were taking the £10 tour of Aussie.
£10 to get there and free passage home if they stayed longer than 2 years. Some of 'em were 2nd and 3rd time round!
Rosie had a sort of halfway house in Sydney where the girls could stay while they found their feet or husbands, whichever came first.
Only condition was they should be willing to go to parties on Bankboats. Pretty strict and if you were a new face you had to go to Rosie's place for inspection before the girls were allowed on board.
Some monumental parties. 2 weeks in Sydney and a party every night and twice on Saturdays. If you wanted to stay longer you walked up to a wharfie and asked to see the burn marks from the ball and chain on his leg. Got 'em out on strike in a trice!
I tried to get 'em to a party on a Blue Star boat but they wouldn't consider it. Came out for a drink on the town but wouldn't go anywhere near the ship.
So that's the Rosie I mean.
I believe I once met someone like big Phil in Melbourne, name rings a bell.
Because I was the joker who had all the spare time in port I was the one chained to the phone when it came on board until I'd got at least one party organised. And me such a shy and retiring bloke as well.
Oh Happy days! Oh them Aussie nurses! Not forgetting the UK and South African ones as well, of course. God bless 'em all. (Hippy)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I met Rosie whilst in Sydney for 3 weeks on the Beaverbank (1951 H+W 5360grt) in 1969. She introduced me to one of the most beautiful (and energetic!!) girls I ever met, Wendy Payne, a nurse from Orange NSW. Tried to contact her several times on subsequent visits to Sydney, but unfortunately never saw her again. I even tried recently on Friend's Re-United. I must be a very sad person!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Marconi Sahib,
I was browsing thru your photos nd came across photos of Rabaul unfortunately in the news again because of more volcanic activity I was there in 1956/57 on the S.S.Corabank we made fast to a dock which was a sunken Japanese ship and in coming alongside we hit her such a godawful crack took a small chunk out of the prop. This ship had been sunk during the war and after hostilities were over they had built causeways out to her and then filled her with rubble thus making a dock from which we loaded our cargo of copra While we were thus occupied a team of Japanese salvage divers appeared alongside us and proceeded diving probably to conduct a survey however they came up a damn sight faster than they went down
It seems she was full of torpedo warheads and various other ordnance
all of which was highly unstable so the story went As I recall you could stand on the f'csle and look down No1 Hatch into the tweendecks allthe rest were full of rubble I don't suppose she stayed in use for long as the Japanese were salvaging all the metal they could at that time
Cheers Geoff

·
Registered
14 Posts
Marconi Sahib,
Thats incredible, so the story was true after all. To be still in use after allthis time beggars belief. I checked it on Google yesterday . The Pacific Wrecks web site was very interesting mind you the people defecating on board must have been hardy souls as I recall the rats were as big as butcher's dogs and twice as fit

cheers Geoff

·
Registered
37 Posts
Marconi Sahib,
I was browsing thru your photos nd came across photos of Rabaul unfortunately in the news again because of more volcanic activity I was there in 1956/57 on the S.S.Corabank we made fast to a dock which was a sunken Japanese ship and in coming alongside we hit her such a godawful crack took a small chunk out of the prop. This ship had been sunk during the war and after hostilities were over they had built causeways out to her and then filled her with rubble thus making a dock from which we loaded our cargo of copra While we were thus occupied a team of Japanese salvage divers appeared alongside us and proceeded diving probably to conduct a survey however they came up a damn sight faster than they went down
It seems she was full of torpedo warheads and various other ordnance
all of which was highly unstable so the story went As I recall you could stand on the f'csle and look down No1 Hatch into the tweendecks allthe rest were full of rubble I don't suppose she stayed in use for long as the Japanese were salvaging all the metal they could at that time
Cheers Geoff
Talking about ammo, when I was on the Hollybank in 1966 ( Jnr engr.) we
were in Kaviang taking on the usual copra, the 3rd engr. ( Bill Baxter ) and myself were underwater swimming, when we discovered the sea bed under the ship was covered in shells and I believe some torpedos, when we told the 'old man' it was all panic moving the ship.
It seems the yanks at the end of the war had just bulldosed the lot off the
jetty, I suppose its one way to get rid of it !!!,
The leccy was Farquer McKenzie ( is that spelt correctly ? ) does anyone
remember him, he used to spend all his time 'looking up' the clan where ever
we went.
The crew were all Indians, they seemed a jolly lot !!!.
I enjoyed that trip, Sydney was all parties ( Ausie nurses ), pity I never went back, I joined Lamport & Holt Line, stayed until I was a 3rd.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I sailed with Farquer McKenzie (not sure of the spelling either) on the Willowbank in '68. Nice guy. We did the usual round the world Bankline voyage taking in the pacific islands, Japan and Oz. The old man was "OJ Aussie Brown" on his last trip. Unforgettable

·
Registered
20 Posts
Marconi Sahib,
I remember Rosie's very well. Went to her place several times when I was on the Nairnbank and Willowbank. Many, many great parties on board. Don't know how, but I got a reputation as the "heavy lift job", and one time I remember was trying to explain to "the most beautiful girl in the world"(who it must be said was carrying a little too much weght) why there was a chain block hanging outside my cabin. Thanks for helping to resurrect such good memories. So many good times.............
Regards,
Tom.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Did you ever come across 3rd Eng. Bill Baxter or electician George Rodgers,
Bill was a scotsman and George was Irish ( Belfast ).
Two really nice blokes, we had a good time on the Hollybank.
John Mepham

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Rosie & Big Phil

Marabank 1971, Weirbank 1972, Willowbank 1973, Gownbank 1974, Corabank 1975. I remember Rosie and her charges very well. One Jenny Bancan brings back memories! 2nd Mate on Weirbank married one of them IDC. Big Phil in Melbourne - one of her friends was Diane Kloppman who like the others needed 10 ton gear - but fun it certainly was - her husband (ex Ellerman 2nd Mate) didn't seem to mind either. Also Melbourne but not connected with Big Phil was Diamond Lil and another vast friend - they were both into their 50s but would try anything once. The Lekky on Gowanbank was treated to a good time in Brisbane - phone call to ship asking for the electrician - who said he didn't know anybody in Brisbane but shortly afterwards headed for the beach - we didn't see him again for three days. As others have said, happy memories.:sweat:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Marabank 1971, Weirbank 1972, Willowbank 1973, Gownbank 1974, Corabank 1975. I remember Rosie and her charges very well. One Jenny Bancan brings back memories! 2nd Mate on Weirbank married one of them IDC. Big Phil in Melbourne - one of her friends was Diane Kloppman who like the others needed 10 ton gear - but fun it certainly was - her husband (ex Ellerman 2nd Mate) didn't seem to mind either. Also Melbourne but not connected with Big Phil was Diamond Lil and another vast friend - they were both into their 50s but would try anything once. The Lekky on Gowanbank was treated to a good time in Brisbane - phone call to ship asking for the electrician - who said he didn't know anybody in Brisbane but shortly afterwards headed for the beach - we didn't see him again for three days. As others have said, happy memories.:sweat:
Waighty,
I was Mate on the Marabank from February '70 to Sept '71. Did we sail with each other?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I sailed with Farquer McKenzie (not sure of the spelling either) on the Willowbank in '68. Nice guy. We did the usual round the world Bankline voyage taking in the pacific islands, Japan and Oz. The old man was "OJ Aussie Brown" on his last trip. Unforgettable
I believe Farquhar McKenzie is retired and living in Dornie on the west coast of Scotland - next to the Eilean Donan castle of Highlander and shortcake biscuit tin lid fame.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I believe Farquhar McKenzie is retired and living in Dornie on the west coast of Scotland - next to the Eilean Donan castle of Highlander and shortcake biscuit tin lid fame.
Seems like the perfect place for Farquhar. I can see him now sitting playing bridge with the castle in background.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts