Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
25 Posts
There was a 'Wandsworth', belonging to the Central Electricity Generating Board.
Diesel powered and built in 1950, she measured 1,875GT.
That's all I have: perhaps others will add to the information.

Bruce C

·
Registered
231 Posts
The Wandsworth was indeed a Flattie.Built for South Eastern Gas Board.Sold to Italian owners in 1968 renamed Pietro Rembado.Sank after collision 2.7.68 off Cape Espichel.(Info from Gas And Electricity Colliers by D.Ridley Chesterton and R.Fenton)
Cheers
Spartan

·
Premium Member
14,864 Posts
MV Wandsworth, 1875 tons Built 1950 by Burntisland SB Co; Ltd. 265.4 x 39.5 x 16.6. 8 cylinder diesel by British Polar Engines, Glasgow. ESD,Radar.
cruiser stern. Code flags MNDJ. Machinery aft. Part electricaly welded. No cargo battens fitted. Owned by SEGB. Registered London, British flag.

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
your a star ruud. do any of these still trade?
Ahoy Mate,
Well it took some time,but I knew there were some requests.
Haven't forgotten you,and was still in my thoughts.(Thumb)
The WANDSWORTH 1950
Courtesy/© John Clarkson

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there Stephen, I see by your profile and your funnel markings you know the river wear port very well. Myself also from Sunderland I worked at the River Wear Commissioners in the 1960s as an apprentice fitter and turner. Also knew all the tugs and dredgers there, we had some tugs two of which were called the Biddick and the Pallion, with an older one called the Cinema Star (paddle wheels driven). Do you maybe have any more photos of colliers in particular the Sydenham and Effra belonging to the SEGB. Was in Sunderland two months ago to visit my daughter, but it rained every day, somethings never change!

·
Banned
5,898 Posts
Ahoy Mike,
Here the EFFRA & SYDENHAM:
The first SYDENHAM,is a scan from the lovely book Classic Coasters by Paul Boot & Roy Fenton,all credits to them[ISBN 095211798-3 and is still available at several sources £12.50]Should be a nice Christmas present.
©Paul Boot-Roy Fenton

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts