Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not a query about computers but wondered if anyone could help about "Set top boxes" for TV reception.
BBC withdrew "iplayer" transmission to some tv brands ( Sony being one) in February this year.
The BBC website relating to this advises purchase of a "set top box" of which there are many available ranging in price from well over £100 down to £35.
We are at our wits end trying to pick our way through the technical minefield which unfolds when looking at eg Amazon. Many sets available with full specs.and excellently presented but apparently not all the boxes will receive BBC iplayer. It would seem that the less expensive boxes will not do this, which is confusing because we were told by a TV dealer that even one of the inexpensive boxes would work well. In fact a box made by Manhattan at £35 would be OK. But not so apparently.
I would be most grateful if anyone could help on this.

Many thanks
Pete.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
When digital television started I bought a Sony CRT set with built in digital tuner. After a few years the standard was changed and I needed an STB, which also enabled said set to continue in use after analog was switched off.
In the meantime I bought a Panasonic 'smart' tv but then after a few years BBC iPlayer was changed and, yet again, I needed another STB. This was a Roko 3 which still works but is apparently considered obsolete.
I now have a Samsung 'smart' tv. How long before they change the standard yet again and make this one obsolete?

Whatever you buy it will only be few years at most before you need to replace it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is market forces at work isn't it....built in obsolescence.
Our "old " Sony Bravia is 8 years old , connects to the internet and presents us with about 118 freeview channels so satisfactory except for loss of iPlayer and this is what we miss.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Have a look at the Amazon Firestick

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Sparkie 2182, meant to include my reply to you in previous post.

Thanks for info...have seen the BBc help line but it doesn't really assist with the specific problem. Have looked at the Curries website and completely shaken by the possible outlay required. But still looking at others.
Pete

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Duncan112 and martin winn, the Firestick certainly seems to be the answer and the technical write up in Amazon supports this.....not a bad price either.

pete

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Do you know if this firestick works for I- player reception outside
the UK ?.
Officially no, and the Prime content available may be reduced, however I would imagine if you use a VPN you might be able to bypass the block.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts