Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Same sand was still there in 1977, but the 'castaways' had gone and the life-guard 'dolly' was the daughter of the local United Brands American plantation manager. Like you said, unforgettable days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
591 Posts
When I was in Golfito in 1958, we did not get any days off on the beach. One night in Kingston, then round the coast picking up bananas followed by passengers, then back to UK
Lovely ship though
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,780 Posts
Golfito

Bob Murdoch said:
When I was in Golfito in 1958, we did not get any days off on the beach. One night in Kingston, then round the coast picking up bananas followed by passengers, then back to UK
Lovely ship though
Bob,

The thread refers to the port of Golfito in Costa Rica, and not E & F's "ss Golfito" (my first ship in 1960). The smaller 12-passenger skin boats often went to Golfito to load bananas but I don't believe that either of the larger 99-passenger vessels (Golfito and Camito) ever went there.

Ron
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Golfito

I sailed regularly to Golfito with Fyffe's Manzanares and Musa, and had great times there! I remember the bar at the dock gate, where the jukebox was fitted with a steel mesh protection, and you had to stick your hands through a small opening to put money in and pick a tune. And Emma's bar, of course. Remember "Tom's Island" where all the hippies lived? I'd love to go back, but it would have to be as a tourist next time and would not be quite the same!!!!!! I als remember a bar/dance place up the hill, I think it was called the Picnic Bar (?)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Golfito

Hi Kevin r
Remember well all those times especially Tom's island. No noise only jungle sounds, drinking of beer & the smell of tropical tobacco, "happy days".
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,291 Posts
Ron Stringer said:
Bob,

The thread refers to the port of Golfito in Costa Rica, and not E & F's "ss Golfito" (my first ship in 1960). The smaller 12-passenger skin boats often went to Golfito to load bananas but I don't believe that either of the larger 99-passenger vessels (Golfito and Camito) ever went there.

Ron
Think "Golfito" may have called at her name-sake port on her maiden voyage. I believe she was accorded 'freedom of the town', and that a certificate hung in the passengers entrance area.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Golfito

Hi Kevin R & Andyroo,

Golfito as a working port of call has been virtually closed for years , ever since United Brands pulled out .
The " Club Latino" to the left right outside the dock gates burned to the ground last year .
"Emmas Bar , the Mustang and Banana bars on the strip are derelict yet still stand ( now taken over by crack heads).
The "Pinic Bar" up on the hillside is just a pile of rubble would make a nice site for a hotel as that is the new industry here in Costa Rica Tourism.
Tom from Toms Island piece fully crossed the line 5 or 6 years back but his old boat is still beached there .
How many others of you have memories of this wonderful wild place ? I would like to hear your stories .

Regards .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Golfito

Sorry I forgot to add to that there is a huge marina project on the drawing board for the Port of Golfito.
Planning permission stages at this moment in time , but I cant see them turning it down as it will produce much needed revenue for the local economy .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Ian Highfield said:
Hi Kevin R & Andyroo,

Golfito as a working port of call has been virtually closed for years , ever since United Brands pulled out .
The " Club Latino" to the left right outside the dock gates burned to the ground last year .
"Emmas Bar , the Mustang and Banana bars on the strip are derelict yet still stand ( now taken over by crack heads).
The "Pinic Bar" up on the hillside is just a pile of rubble would make a nice site for a hotel as that is the new industry here in Costa Rica Tourism.
Tom from Toms Island piece fully crossed the line 5 or 6 years back but his old boat is still beached there .
How many others of you have memories of this wonderful wild place ? I would like to hear your stories .

Regards .
I was there in late 83,along the strip in a second floor bar when a local girl brought in an iguana and went about killing it.One of the ABs then proceeded to punch the girl,the iguana ran off and there was a lynch mob after the AB,no more shore leave for him.........have to say the place was my fav place on earth......still things never stand still
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
Golfito was a great run ashore, on a par with Cortes. We used to have some great football matches on the pitch on the opposite side of the road from the pier. If my memory serves me correctly the local priest arranged the games against locals, and refereed when another ship was the opposition, and the games always under floodlights. Cup Final feeling, then it was over to Club Latino for whatever took your fancy.
Were any of you there when they building a concrete boat on Toms Island? I never saw it afloat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
(K) Was there in 73/74 on the m class boats maz, mat,man. Had some realy good rimes there (Thumb)
Will have to go back on holiday sometime
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Golfito Photos

Willy,

My father worked on the Golfito for some time and I would be really intrested in looking at your photographs from that period! His name was Eric Hardy.

Thank you
 

·
Willie
Joined
·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Willy,

My father worked on the Golfito for some time and I would be really interested in looking at your photographs from that period! His name was Eric Hardy.

Thank you
Hi Lawrence

The photos I've posted are of the port of Golfito, Costa Rica, taken when I was there in 1972 on the "Chuscal". I don't have any photos of the actual ship which was called the "Golfito". Sorry.

Willie Mac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
350 Posts
Wonder if anyone may recall this chap on the Golfito in 1961

Oscar Lavagna not sure what he was but think may have been in Catering?
Cheers
joller6
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
90 Posts
Joller6.Just found site that chap was he called also vince if so sailed with him on Telde in late 65 and early 66 also turrialba late 66 early 67.He missed ship in Nola and never returned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
I was in the Golfito on her maiden voyage December 1949 - January 1950. A great ship and a good trip. Whilst at sea approaching Trinidad there was an oil spillage whilst tranferring fuel oil which resulted in a large black stain on the ship's side and across the deck. Something I have never ever seen before or since - the ship was stopped and AB'S were put over the side to clean off the mess. The stain on the deck was a different matter and proved to be quite stubborn. We arrived in Trinidad on Christmas morning and were treated to a carol service by schoolchildren on the quayside.A gang from ashore were employed with holy stones in an attempt to clean up the deck. Our stay in Golfito was very pleasant especially the reception which was laid on. How I wish I could re-live those balmy days! Terry Worsley
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top