Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's probably been discussed, pontificated over before, many times, but I've just seen it:

On the album cover of the original 'Beatles For Sale' LP, there's a fifth Beatle! The LP was released, I believe, in late '64, the cover photograph (according to Wikipedia) shot in London's Hyde Park. If you take a look over the top of Ringo's head, in a vertical dark area, possibly an out of focus tree trunk, you'll see, near the top, what just could be the partial image of another moptop. You can see it fairly clearly, if you look; same hair style, exact same length, just a little bit of ear showing, but only one side, the right side.

Could it possibly be Stuart Sutcliffe, who was the fifth Beatle for a while, until he left the group in Hamburg, where he tragically died in the early '60's, well before 'For Sale'?

Just a juxtaposition of the background foliage, in all likelihood, but something to ponder for those of us who do such things.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
It's probably been discussed, pontificated over before, many times, but I've just seen it:

On the album cover of the original 'Beatles For Sale' LP, there's a fifth Beatle! The LP was released, I believe, in late '64, the cover photograph (according to Wikipedia) shot in London's Hyde Park. If you take a look over the top of Ringo's head, in a vertical dark area, possibly an out of focus tree trunk, you'll see, near the top, what just could be the partial image of another moptop. You can see it fairly clearly, if you look; same hair style, exact same length, just a little bit of ear showing, but only one side, the right side.

Could it possibly be Stuart Sutcliffe, who was the fifth Beatle for a while, until he left the group in Hamburg, where he tragically died in the early '60's, well before 'For Sale'?

Just a juxtaposition of the background foliage, in all likelihood, but something to ponder for those of us who do such things.
Pete Best?

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
I had an MRI scan recently and the operator asked me what kind of music I liked to listen to. I selected the Beatles and spent the next hour finding out that a large proportion of what they put out was utter sh1te.

John T

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I had an MRI scan recently and the operator asked me what kind of music I liked to listen to. I selected the Beatles and spent the next hour finding out that a large proportion of what they put out was utter sh1te.

John T
John,

Before my first MRI scan I was cautioned that I would have to remain absolutely still during the procedure, which would take about an hour and would be extremely noisy. I was also warned that some people found the level and characteristics of the noise to be frightening and difficult to endure. I was provided with a control with an alarm button, which I was told I should use to stop the process and summon assistance at any point, if I found I could not continue. To help overcome the problems of noise and boredom, I was offered headphones, through which would be played the music of my choice. I thought this was something of an overkill, so I declined the use of headphones & music.

The scan started and it was indeed noisy, but not in any way threatening or excessive and I did not see any problems. I was lying down, it was warm and comfortable, having had several disturbed nights preceding the hospital appointment I was lacking sleep and so eventually I must have nodded off. Panic stations! The scan was stopped and I woke to find several anxious faces looking down at me, demanding to know if I was OK. My pulse and blood pressure were checked and there was talk of an ECG. Apparently they had never before had anyone sleep during the scan. It took a while to reassure them that I was fine and that they should continue the scan, with a promise that I would make sure to stay awake.

Afterwards they all kept telling me how remarkable it was to fall asleep despite the high noise level. Seemed quite normal to me. I said that they had probably never previously had anyone who had sailed on motor ships - but they didn't understand.

At all subsequent scans I have made sure to stay awake throughout.

The life we led at sea was definitely something else.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
I fell asleep during an MRI, found it all rather relaxing. More amusing was the nurse at the end looked up at my 'vital signs' and quietly asked 'is that normal?' as the heart rate monitor showed my characteristic 42-43 beats per minute. I reassured her it was to which she replied 'thank god for that' before getting on with her busy day.

Pete Best was replaced by Ringo, Stu Sutcliffe passed away in 1962, George Martin hadn't established himself as the Beatle guru by then and it was too early for Billy Preston. There was no 5th Beatle.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Strangely, I also found MRI quite relaxing, not sure whether I nodded off though. Is it a sailors trait ?

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I too ZZZded of. Maybe it's Zen thing.
JT #3 The beatles wrote a lot of crap for sure but they also wrote some wonderful music. I think they were in the right place at the right time. UK had struggled post war and the country was drab and dismal. Along came the Beatles and shook everyone up.Then followed many bands known by the US as the British invasion. That's my view anyway. Cheers.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts