Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I thought I recognised the name Col J B Hollwey. I did a book (1989) on Heyn's Head Line (Ulster Steamship Co) and during my research found also that the man was also involved with Palgrave, Murphy and Saostat & Continental Steamship Co. in which Heyn held shares.

Extract from book below

It was feared at the time however that the move would be the start of a progressive merger of the fleets by the Heyns, they being the majority shareholders and that the CITY names would eventually be registered under Head Line as were those of the earlier acquired LORD LINE. However that fear was never realised because part of the Heyns’ Head Line recovery plan was the disposal of Palgrave, Murphy shares to release urgently needed capital. This was achieved when Richard and Ivan Heyn both resigned their Directorships.
Their total shareholding of 502, together with 232 of those held by G. Heyn & Sons Ltd (around 73% of company stock) were sold to Captain Gordon and four other members of Palgrave, Murphy staff and to Colonel J. B. Hollwey who was appointed a Director of Palgrave, Murphy Ltd. By June 1933 all except Heyn’s remaining 10% holding in Palgrave, Murphy Ltd, was held in Dublin.
Meanwhile Hudig & Veder N.V. the Rotterdam agents for both Palgrave, Murphy Ltd., and Head Line Belfast, had taken advantage of an offer by the British Government who were offering inducements for overseas parties to establish British based subsidiaries. In March 1933 the Mountain Steamship Company Ltd was incorporated and registered at Belfast. One ship was purchased from the Dutch Parent’s fleet and renamed LURIGETHAN. This new Company was to play a part in Palgrave, Murphy’s history, at a time in the future.
With the return of control to Dublin, Palgrave, Murphy Ltd was reorganised wherein it was decided to create a new company to operate the fleet and for which Palgrave, Murphy Ltd would act as agents.
To that end, the Saorstat & Continental Steamship Company Limited (Coy No.8667) was on 25th April 1934, incorporated at Dublin to take control of the CITY LINE fleet. It had a registered capital of £430 (43 x £10 shares) of which forty-one were held by Colonel J.B. Hollwey - Director; one by Captain Alan S. Gordon – Director and one by Joseph O’Dowd – Company Secretary. (Saorstat = Freestate)
At this time Palgrave, Murphy’s trade agreements with Head Line were terminated and with the sale by Head Line of three ships to the new company and the release of the three from charter, came the right of both parties to trade freely with their respective liner services between Hamburg, Amsterdam, Rotterdam, Antwerp and Ghent, without any responsibility to the other.
That is very interesting and news to me; although I'm approaching pensionable age, the thirties is a bit before my time ! It would be fair to say that Saorstat & Continental was 'his line' evidently. I wonder how he progressed from there to Bell. Could be a complicated story if the extract from your book is anything to go by. Thanks for posting that; most interesting

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
My friends in Bell Lines tell me that the open-hatch container ships were a bit of a problem in that they had a large GT which was not compensated for by any additional carrying capacity. (Perhaps a Naval Architect could comment). This strained financial resources and when the crane was blown over they were banjaxed.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
That is very interesting and news to me; although I'm approaching pensionable age, the thirties is a bit before my time ! It would be fair to say that Saorstat & Continental was 'his line' evidently. I wonder how he progressed from there to Bell. Could be a complicated story if the extract from your book is anything to go by. Thanks for posting that; most interesting
Considering the military rank attained by the thirties, one could presume that he potentially was not a young man, let's say at least thirty ergo if that was correct then he would be early to mid-sixties IF and when he became involved with Bell Line.

My own feeling is that potentially someone has muddled the two men in the Bell context but may well stand corrected.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Considering the military rank attained by the thirties, one could presume that he potentially was not a young man, let's say at least thirty ergo if that was correct then he would be early to mid-sixties IF and when he became involved with Bell Line.

My own feeling is that potentially someone has muddled the two men in the Bell context but may well stand corrected.
He was born in 1895, served in WWI (Awarded an MC in France), came out as Major, promoted Lt-Col on being mobilised from the Reserve in 1939.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have asked the question and await the answer on identity......

geoff
Nice one, Geoff; we await wise words from the old timers. One thing which is very annoying is that as a past Chairman he would have had a comprehensive obituary in Beam, the Irish Lights staff magazine and likely also in Flash, the Trinity House equivalent; however both C.I.L and Trinity House have revamped their websites recently and the on line archives of both publications are no longer available which is hugely irritating.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I was quite close to these people for some years, my cousin was their crane manager, and commercially we used them for movements into Rotterdam. If the contact I have e-mailed for info doesn't respond then I can contact the former Customs Manager and also their Commercial Manager Teesport.so hopefully some 'gen' will flow...they are( or were) fellow Shipbrokers.

Have you ever seen the Harwich Port site? Some good pictures and information.

http://www.harwichanddovercourt.co.uk/harwich-ships/bell-lines/

geoff

·
Registered
9 Posts

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
He was born in 1895, served in WWI (Awarded an MC in France), came out as Major, promoted Lt-Col on being mobilised from the Reserve in 1939.
We appear to have a slight anomaly as to when he became Lt Col. You state 1939, which is at odds with old Heyn Company papers which quoted him as Lt Col in 1935

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Have asked two former Bell managers.....George Holloway yes, never heard of the military man...still awaiting an answer from the third.

geoff

·
Registered
9 Posts
We appear to have a slight anomaly as to when he became Lt Col. You state 1939, which is at odds with old Heyn Company papers which quoted him as Lt Col in 1935
Hi Bill, I got that date from the link below, which is alphabetical; scroll down to Hollwey, James Bell. Now I re-read it it says T/Lt-Col 1942, Hon. Lt-Col 1945; I'm not sure what T/Lt.Col signifies.

http://www.unithistories.com/officers/Army_officers_H02.html

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
It appears the third former Bell Manager is on a cruise at moment,lucky fellow, but he has a vague memory of an ex military man but will revert on landing here!

geoff

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Right....no further forward,or backward. The third manager says that when he was interviewed in 1965 for a position at Bell Teesport one of the interviewers was described as Colonel ?..........but thereafter was never ever seen or mentioned.
When Bell went bust the staff were given 2 hours to collect their personal papers only,all depots, so anything relevant to history or personnel went to the receivers/administrators.
geoff

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Right further to response yesterday, had a reply from the former Commercial Manager of Bell Lines,who had 10 years with the company. He states that the only person with a name of Holloway,however spelled, was 'the boss' George Holloway and he had never heard of the other one.

geoff

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all, my uncle was master for long time on the MV "Otto Becker" (Bell-Line Charter) and I took lot of vacation trip with him. Very good port was Waterford, the old berth near the city.
Has anyone information or pictures from the "Otto Becker"? I remember one chief mate came from ireland, he was dutch and was married in ireland. He live outside from Waterford with wife and two childs, I know, because I visited him.
Dieter

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
OTTO BECKER LR/IMO No. 8818879
2,749g. 1,110n. 3,146d. 94.50(BB) x 16.14 x 5.91 (5.005 dt) metres.
6-cyl. 4 S.C.S.A. (320 x 350mm) Wartsila 6R32D type engine by Oy Wartsila Ab, Turku / Abo, Finland, geared to a controllable pitch propeller. 3,018bhp. 14.5 kts. Thwartship thrust propeller forward.
26.5.1989: Keel laid by J. J. Sietas Schiffswerft GmbH & Co. KG, Neuenfelde, Hamburg (Yard No. 935)
26.6.1989: Launched.
29.7.1989: Completed for Partenreederei ms Otto Becker, (Rolf Becker, Jork Niederelbe, manager) W. Germany.
1990: To German flag
2001: Sold to HS Schiffahrts GmbH & Co. KG ms Sea Ems, (HS Bereederungs GmbH & Co. KG, Haren-Ems, managers) and renamed MARIA SCHEPERS, under Antigua & Barbuda flag.
2005: Sold to HS Schiffahrts GmbH & Co. KG ms Maria Schepers, (HS Schiffahrts GmbH & Co. KG, managers)
2013: Sold to Radimon SA, Juncal Montevideo, and renamed PROVINCIAS UNIDAS under St.Vincent & The Grenadines flag.
9.2014: Still on Sea Web as in service but data not updated since then

41 - 60 of 66 Posts