Ships Nostalgia banner
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, my uncle was master for long time on the MV "Otto Becker" (Bell-Line Charter) and I took lot of vacation trip with him. Very good port was Waterford, the old berth near the city.
Has anyone information or pictures from the "Otto Becker"? I remember one chief mate came from ireland, he was dutch and was married in ireland. He live outside from Waterford with wife and two childs, I know, because I visited him.
Dieter
Hello my friend. I was on here seeking pictures of the Bell Lines operation in Waterford but more from a railway perspective when I read your message. I believe the man you refer to is (or was) Gunter Feicks. He used to visit the bar I worked in opposite the wharf. Sadly he passed a few years back. Death Notice of Gunter Feicks

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello my friend. I was on here seeking pictures of the Bell Lines operation in Waterford but more from a railway perspective when I read your message. I believe the man you refer to is (or was) Gunter Feicks. He used to visit the bar I worked in opposite the wharf. Sadly he passed a few years back. Death Notice of Gunter Feicks
Hello Sir, Thank you for your information, I will try to look in my uncle do***ents, he is also died, whether he had information about vessel crew members.
But it is long time ago and regarding the pictures, I cannot rember. But what I remember, it was always nice time in ireland, mostly long weekend, at the old "Bell Port" it was still at the town,
I'am now also retired, but still working for vessel service company.
Kind regards, Dieter from Germany.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Considering the military rank attained by the thirties, one could presume that he potentially was not a young man, let's say at least thirty ergo if that was correct then he would be early to mid-sixties IF and when he became involved with Bell Line.

My own feeling is that potentially someone has muddled the two men in the Bell context but may well stand corrected.
Very late to this party, but I can clear this up unequivocally.

I came across this site idly searching for info on the old family firm, Bell Lines.

Lt Col J B Hollwey of Eski Shehr was my grandfather. And George Hollwey (Definitely NOT Holloway!) was his son, who took over Bell Lines from my grandfather and ran it until the business was sold in the mid 1980s. I remember my mother, George’s sister, going to Japan in the 70’s to launch some of the new ships.

Hope that helps....

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently came across this thread. I have noticed that there's not a lot of mention about the Bell Combat. I sailed on this ship on a couple of occasions First time as an AB and later I did a stint on her as Bosun. The ship at that time (1964-1969) belonged to a company from Larne, Co. Antrim called Rainey Shipping Ltd, it's directors were Jack Rainey, Jnr,. and his Wife Kathy (Kate)the ship was mainly on charter to Robertson's Gem Line of Glasgow. Rainey were a well established coal importing company who previously owned a couple of small coasters, Lough Linnie and Lough Ettive prior to the 1960's. They mainly operated between Scotland and Derry and other NI ports. Rainey (maybe the Bank) can't be sure sold the ship to Bell's and she became the Bell Combat. She was quit an unlucky ship whilst she was owned by Rainey, lost a few good men (rip) and had a lot of breakdowns. I believe she even took someone with when she eventually sank. More information if anyone is interested. Original name was MV SANTIAGO, was built as a fruit carrier.
There were numerous other non-container coasters that were chartered but not renamed. All had the Bell funnel markings but only a few were seen with a blue hull but they may have already had that prior to charter.

The pioneer of those was the CLONLEE, chartered from Shamrock Shipping of Larne.

From memory BELL COMBAT was also a conventional coaster purchased from a Larne owner. She was at the time KATHAR and was under arrest at Londonderry.
Only just seen this post now, if you check, page four I have left some information there about the "Bell Combat" formally the MV ''KATHAR''

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
BELL COMBAT (1969) LR/IMO No. 5313048
1,274g. 686n. 1,670d. 247’ 0” x 36’ 0” x 13’ 8”
10-cyl. 2 SCSA (350 x 550mm) by Waggon & Maschinenbau AG, Hamburg. 1,600bhp. 14 kts.
29.8.1953: Launched as SANTIAGO by Brugeoise, Bruge (Yard No. c25) for Armement L. Hermans SA, Belgium.
3.1954: Completed.
1966: Sold to J. Rainey (Enterprises) Ltd, (John Rainey, manager) Larne and renamed KATHAR.
1967: Owner bankrupt and vessel laid up for sale at Londonderry.
1969: Sold to George Bell (Chartering) Ltd, and renamed BELL COMBAT.
1969: Sold to Propeller Shipping Company Ltd, Cyprus and renamed APOLLO.
29.9.1971: Wrecked at a position 57.41N., 6.26W.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi BillH, thanks for that, do you know if anyone was lost when she was wrecked ? I would pretty much know all the history of her from 1964 to 1969 when she was sold but unfortunately I don't know anything about her after Bell bought her. Jack Rainey was married to a local girl from our area, I would have known him and his family quite well, he has since passed away (rip) but his widow is still alive and still travels from Larne to Donegal to visit her family and relations. I actually lost two very Good friends on her whilst she belonged to Rainey's, she was looked on in this area as a very unlucky ship.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts