Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone please tell me how to find out information regarding Alfred Holt's pre World War I ship Bellerophon. My grandfather was her Bosun when he was lost overboard some time between 1905 and 1910.

·
Premium Member
12,975 Posts
Kaiser Bill said:
Could anyone please tell me how to find out information regarding Alfred Holt's pre World War I ship Bellerophon. My grandfather was her Bosun when he was lost overboard some time between 1905 and 1910.
Built in 1906 She was scrapped in 1948

·
Banned
25 Posts
BELLEROPHON (2) was built in 1906 by Workman Clark at Belfast with a tonnage of 8954grt, a length of 485ft 4in, a beam of 53ft 4in and a service speed of 14 knots. The first of a class of 6 vessels, the first to have 'goal post' masts and the largest to date. Built for the Ocean Steam Ship Company she entered service on the China Mutual service from Glasgow to Liverpool - Singapore - China - Japan - Vancouver and Seattle, a route acquired with the purchase of China Mutual in 1902. In August 1914 she was requisitioned as a British Expeditionary Force troopship and horse carrier operating out of Liverpool to France. She was requisitioned again for troop ship duties when , in February 1927, she loaded troops , horses and supplies at Birkenhead bound for Hong Kong and Shanghai during the 'China Affair'. She carried 750 horses and their troopers at full speed and only made one 12 hour stop for fuel at Suez. P&O's Karmala and Aberdeen Line's Herminius accompanied her on the voyage. On 18th April 1948 she arrived at Barrow - in - Furness where she was scrapped at the British Iron & Steel Corporation (BISCO) yard of Thos. W. Ward.

The above was formerly posted on the Red Duster website as part of a Blue Funnel company history. Unfortunately, although the site is still online, it is a shadow of its former self and the histories have disapeared.

There is also a small picture of the ship at the following URL:
http://www.merseysideviews.com/Merchant Vessels/Blue Funnel/pages/Bue-Fel 017.htm

Bruce C

·
Registered
634 Posts
The Red-Duster site.

Bruce Carson said:
BELLEROPHON (2) was built in 1906 by Workman Clark at Belfast with a tonnage of 8954grt, a length of 485ft 4in, a beam of 53ft 4in and a service speed of 14 knots. The first of a class of 6 vessels, the first to have 'goal post' masts and the largest to date. Built for the Ocean Steam Ship Company she entered service on the China Mutual service from Glasgow to Liverpool - Singapore - China - Japan - Vancouver and Seattle, a route acquired with the purchase of China Mutual in 1902. In August 1914 she was requisitioned as a British Expeditionary Force troopship and horse carrier operating out of Liverpool to France. She was requisitioned again for troop ship duties when , in February 1927, she loaded troops , horses and supplies at Birkenhead bound for Hong Kong and Shanghai during the 'China Affair'. She carried 750 horses and their troopers at full speed and only made one 12 hour stop for fuel at Suez. P&O's Karmala and Aberdeen Line's Herminius accompanied her on the voyage. On 18th April 1948 she arrived at Barrow - in - Furness where she was scrapped at the British Iron & Steel Corporation (BISCO) yard of Thos. W. Ward.

The above was formerly posted on the Red Duster website as part of a Blue Funnel company history. Unfortunately, although the site is still online, it is a shadow of its former self and the histories have disapeared.

There is also a small picture of the ship at the following URL:
http://www.merseysideviews.com/Merchant Vessels/Blue Funnel/pages/Bue-Fel 017.htm

Bruce C
Hi Bruce, the Red-Duster site seems to have gone now, when I click on the link in my favs I'm taken to the MNA site as below. Ken @ Tilbury.
http://www.red-duster.co.uk/

·
Banned
25 Posts
Ken, I noticed last year that the owner had put the site up for grabs.
It's really too bad---it had a helluva collection of shipping histories and there had obviously been a lot of effort put into the research.
The current owners promise to preserve the history and traditions of the BMN and perhaps they will bring the site back to its former glory as part of the Merchant Navy pages.
Here today, gone tomorrow: that's a real problem with the internet.
No matter how good a site may be, it can be wiped out in a second with not a trace left behind.

Bruce C

·
Registered
17 Posts
You might also want to take a look at this Wikipaedia site which is about HMS Dreadnaught - Bellerophon was built to a very close design - though the site says with some improvements.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Dreadnought_(1906)

Of course you can only take the information you find on websites as a starting point - unless you check the source information you can't be sure it is correct. Once a bit off duff information gets posted on one website it quickly gets propagated to other sites and assumes a ring of truth through consistency which is not substantiated.

Brian

·
Registered
7,638 Posts
Brian, I think that the ship "Bellerophon" that Kaiserbill is looking for, is a cargo ship not the War ship?

Frank

·
Registered
7,016 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ooopppss! Thanks for pointing out my red herring postings Frank. I should have read the original more carefully.

I always thought that you could not have two major ships with the same name at the same time. I was clearly wrong about that - maybe it is only within the RN or a particular company.

Damn confusing though - it's bad enough pinning the pictures down when the same company reuses its ships names - P&O for example reused several of their M class names.

Brian

·
Registered
634 Posts
The Red-Duster site.

Bruce Carson said:
Ken, I noticed last year that the owner had put the site up for grabs.
It's really too bad---it had a helluva collection of shipping histories and there had obviously been a lot of effort put into the research.
The current owners promise to preserve the history and traditions of the BMN and perhaps they will bring the site back to its former glory as part of the Merchant Navy pages.
Here today, gone tomorrow: that's a real problem with the internet.
No matter how good a site may be, it can be wiped out in a second with not a trace left behind.

Bruce C
I make you right Bruce, it would be a shame if it all disappears. It had a good guestbook too. Ken.

·
Banned
25 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts