Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Was a deckie on the
Benrinnes - October1955 to November 1955. (coastal voyage).
Benreoch - November 1955 to August 1956.
Benvrackie - August 1961 to October 1961. (coastal voyage).
Benvorlich - June 1963 to June 1964.
Benarmin - her maiden voyage, June 1964 to October 1964.
No I don't come from the Shetlands but from the Granite City.

Regards. albertwebster

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
ALBERTWEBSTER

Were you referred to as a North Sea Chinaman in Ben Line?Is the name common there or does it refer specially to Shetlanders?
Regards Bert

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry Bert. I can recall the expression North Sea Chinamen, but cant remember if it referred particularly to Shetlanders or to all Ben Line sailors from the East Coast, you see I signed off my last Ben Boat late 1964, when I 'swallowed the anchor', and my memory aint the same any more, but I am sure there are a lot of shipsnostalgia shipmates out there who can keep us right.

regards Albert Webster.

·
Registered
278 Posts
hello Bert in my days it meant a Shetlander,know one or two from the Isles Black Bob, Whalsey Will John Anderson,Yell,Andrew Nisbet,Yell,Bob Manson,Yell,
John Hutchison, Vidlin,Tommy Sutherland,Vidlin, and a few more i cannot remember at the moment

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
From Yell but do not recognise all of the names. Think Bob Manson was Master with Bowaters and ended his career as a Pilot at Sullom Voe. I may very well be wrong as it is fifty years since I resided in Yell and the memory box isn't so good these days.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Bert Thompson Hi yes Bob was with Bowaters,also with Nigerian National Line that guy had more tickets than anybody told me he went to sea in the galley,got his Cooks ticket,then decided to go on deck.From there he got his AB`s ticket,then went to get his Masters ticket.His father was a home-trade master I believe.Will John was the son of a crofter who owned a couple of the islands at the south end of Yell.Andrew Nisbet comes from Cullivoe he was with Clan Line would be in his early fifties about now.i did know a Tommy Thompson he was an AB but what part of Shetland I do not Know,awful of names ending in son over there in the Islands. One other was big Jim Nicholson he was Master with Salvesons,he was from the west side of Shetland,just think it will soon be their big night next month

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi all

If these name are the ones I know, then :-

Bob Manson is a retired pilot at Sullom Voe and still here in shetland.

Will John Anderson is master on the tugs at Sullom Voe.

Andrew Nisbet is a serving pilot at Sullom Voe.

Tommy Thompson and Black Bob are retired GPRs, tugs Sullom Voe.

Jim Nicholson retired as Deputy Harbour Master, Sullom Voe, some year ago.

John Hutchison was on the pilot boats at Sullom Voe, now retired.

Hope this is of some help to you.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Met Jim Nicholson when he was assistant harbour master at Seaham Harbour. Then believe that he went to Sullom Voe. Eight of us met at a club in South Shields and remember Jim saying the order would be a gallon of beer,but that is a different story.

·
Registered
43 Posts
As you can see there are a few Ben Line around Sullom Voe, I think Zander Simpson was another ex ben line man, that is on the tugs.

·
Registered
181 Posts
errolsmith said:
Hi all

If these name are the ones I know, then :-

Bob Manson is a retired pilot at Sullom Voe and still here in shetland.

Will John Anderson is master on the tugs at Sullom Voe.

Andrew Nisbet is a serving pilot at Sullom Voe.

Tommy Thompson and Black Bob are retired GPRs, tugs Sullom Voe.

Jim Nicholson retired as Deputy Harbour Master, Sullom Voe, some year ago.

John Hutchison was on the pilot boats at Sullom Voe, now retired.

Hope this is of some help to you.
Errol have you ever bumped into Ted Stout ex mate Anchor line ,moved to vidlin and was working as a loading surveyor at Sullom Voe last I knew.

Regards

Firey

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Errol Hi
Would you by any chance have any info on James Mouat. Think he was connected with Sullom Voe. Believe that his late father Captain Mouat took the first cargo out of Port Churchill in one of Dalgleish's ships.
Regards and best wishes for Christmas.

·
Registered
43 Posts
firey said:
Errol have you ever bumped into Ted Stout ex mate Anchor line ,moved to vidlin and was working as a loading surveyor at Sullom Voe last I knew.

Regards

Firey
Firey

I am sorry to say Ted died suddenly a couple of years ago, he was a loading supervisor at Sullom Voe. His brother Andy is master on the tugs.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts