Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody out there remember "Wongs Virgins" who used to come aboard in Singapore and clean out the deep tanks before loading latex,the tanks had to be more or less shining. (*))
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Aye fine I do , I remember the bamboo staging being set up ,And Wongs Virgins cleaning these tanks and they did some job . then the tanks had to be waxed before the latex was loaded. But prior to cleaning the Chippy and Cadets used to have to get the tanks ready for pressure testing and all the bolts were done with a ring spanner The tanks were then pressed up for the surveyor, then dried out before the virgins arrived !! Palm and coconut oil was even worse with all these heating coils !!
Iused to remember having to go down and record the top, middle and bottom temperatures once the oils were loaded !! (*)) It would open the eyes of our younger generation !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Does any one remember Mable Ma who came on board in Hong Kong with her shop in Hong Kong or the Milk Girls in Singapore not forgetting the dunnage girls in Bangkok !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Hi EBenarty I well remember Mabel Ma and her shop in the alleyway.where else in the world could you get a blue and white Ben Line cap Still have the remains of one.
On Wully,s topic of latex tanks, who remembers keeping a jar of the stuff for patching shorts and denims.Better than a palm and needle!!!
Cheers------------Roddy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Roddy Munro said:
Hi EBenarty I well remember Mabel Ma and her shop in the alleyway.where else in the world could you get a blue and white Ben Line cap Still have the remains of one.
On Wully,s topic of latex tanks, who remembers keeping a jar of the stuff for patching shorts and denims.Better than a palm and needle!!!
Cheers------------Roddy

Roddy,
Remember that well when the jeans got a hole in the knees we used to cut the legs off and turn them into shorts instead of sowing latex was the thing we were ahead of our time !! LOL !!
Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Roddy,
You could'na beat Mable Mas jockeys or vests !! She had some good gear and did not cheat us much and she would get us anything a lot cheaper than we would have to pay in the shops!!
Aye Good Times,
Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Wully,
Was talking to Duncan Sutherland another Ben Line man today in Inverness and he was asking about Jimmy MacDonald the Chief Steward from Halkirk. Do you know him and is he still around !! I sailed with Jimmy on the Lawers and Cruachan a fine geel he was !!
Billy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Inverness

EBenarty said:
Wully,
Was talking to Duncan Sutherland another Ben Line man today in Inverness and he was asking about Jimmy MacDonald the Chief Steward from Halkirk. Do you know him and is he still around !! I sailed with Jimmy on the Lawers and Cruachan a fine geel he was !!
Billy
I'm an old Ben Boat man from Inverness. Sailed on the Benledi, Benvrackie and Benvcruachan in the fifties. Nice to know there are others from the old town who still have memories of the Ben Line. The Benvrackie was the best of my three, being launched the year before I joined. Len Nicol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
Benalder

I remember Ma Mable of Kowloon side & the girls who used to clean up the accom & sell the left over grub to the dockers. I dont think anyone took advantage of these girls. I was o/s on the Benalder in 64/65 with Sharky Robertson the mate & the Whippit ( Bosun ) from Middlesbrough. The Chippy was big John Dalziel from the Shetlands.Duncan MacClellan A/B from Mallaig, Jimmy MacMillan A/B from S Uist, Big Dodds A/B from Aberdeen I think I remember you Roddy ,did you have an uncle Donald Munro A/B from Stornaway onboard. Happy days ,Tiger Draft in Tobbys Paradise bar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
50 Posts
Well James you certainly hit the nail on the head with all these names. The whippet,he was some bosun,and was well named,not a lot of him!! Also Walter Macintosh Aberdeen,great footballer.We had a good team on Benalder.I have quite a few photos taken that trip,not sure how to post them on SN.Wonder how many of these guys are still living.Donald Munro was a distant cousin of mine.Lived in Enfield Midd.He died aboard ship and was buried at sea a number of years back.Maybe theres someone else out there who these names might ring bells.
All the best James.----------Roddy
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sailed with big Duncan Macclellan,think it was on the Benvenue and i heard not to long ago that he had passed on,also the nephew of John Dalziel,never heard of him since i sailed with him,can not remember his first name,they say it is old age.lol!!
Cheers --------Wully
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
You were before my time. Ijoined them in 1966 and sailed on all of these ships but a newer version of the Cruachan you were on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
wully farquhar said:
Sailed with big Duncan Macclellan,think it was on the Benvenue and i heard not to long ago that he had passed on,also the nephew of John Dalziel,never heard of him since i sailed with him,can not remember his first name,they say it is old age.lol!!
Cheers --------Wully
Wully I think Johnnie Dalzeils nephew would be Jimmy Dalzeil, Johnnie also had a brother that sailed chippy called Willie, very famous man! he had a tragic accident on the local ferry and never recovered. Mac
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
65 Posts
I remember coasting the Bencleuch in '57 and discharging latex into drums while in Antwerp. If any latex just happened to be spilled, the dockers collected it and rolled it into a football for an impromptu game on the dockside. We then moved to Hamburg and the ship was debugged - lousy with cockroaches (and other things). The whole crew was allocated rooms in a nearby hotel, but not one single bed was used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
297 Posts
Rusty said:
I remember coasting the Bencleuch in '57 and discharging latex into drums while in Antwerp. If any latex just happened to be spilled, the dockers collected it and rolled it into a football for an impromptu game on the dockside. We then moved to Hamburg and the ship was debugged - lousy with cockroaches (and other things). The whole crew was allocated rooms in a nearby hotel, but not one single bed was used.
When I was Cadet I was helping Iain MacIntosh / Jim Gray the Leckies with a port fan into the firemans galley,when we unbolted the fan a load of cockroaches fell into a pot of Chinese Chow and the cook replied no problem - Good Chow and stirred them in !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes Mak that was his name,any idea what he is doing now,he was a big course sort o'guy,anothr Sheltie i sailed with on the Loyal was Lourie Laird fae Hillswick but went to see him the last time i was up there,sailed with a few Shelties but canna remember their names.Do you ken peedie Jeemie Irvine fae Whalsa.
Cheers,--------Wully.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
563 Posts
My first trip to sea was on the Benmacdui-I can remember the Milk girls they just walked into my cabin and woke me up[we were lying at anchor in the Rhodes]????? {Singapore}'60-
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top