Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
william dillon said:
Billy,
Do you remember an engineer named Ron Blacklaws when you were on the Ben Cruachan ?.
Billy (*))
Hi William,
Yes I remember Ron Blacklaws I think he was 3 rd Engineer and abit of a character.Was he from Glasgow ?
Regards,
Billy

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
EBenarty said:
Hi William,
Yes I remember Ron Blacklaws I think he was 3 rd Engineer and abit of a character.Was he from Glasgow ?
Regards,
Billy
Billy,

Ron is still a bit of a character, that's putting it mildly, he originates from Stonehaven in Aberdeenshire.
I will see Ron tomorrow & let him know that you remember him, thanks for making contact.
(*))

·
Registered
12 Posts
Benchruachan

Is there anybody on board who sailed on the Benchruachan in 1973 when she "broke her back " in heavy seas off Durban?
I was 4th engineer on the tanker MV Flowergate at the time and we went to her assistance. We prepared to take people off but it turned out it wasn't necessary, however we stayed close by until the weather eased and tugs came out from Durban to take her in.
We passed the Bencruachan some months later as we were heading south in the Atlantic and she was heading home after having some repairs done.

·
Registered
21 Posts
EBenarty said:
undefinedI sailed on her for 2 years from maiden voyage 1968
Hi EBenarty

This was the posting that got me interested in the site. I joined this vessel (as a first trip Cadet) at East India Dock, believe 1969 (could be the year earlier) after the vessel had been involved in the incident at the Thames anchorage inward bound from Voyage 1 - imagine my horror, bright eyed and bushy tailed, rounding the sheds to be faced with a hole on the port side bow section. Believe I did around 5 or 6 trips on the vessel - Japan Star service via Panama. Great time, good squad onboard - infact most of them still etched in my mind even though maybe the names fail me.

Thanks for reminding me.
All the best/BSK

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi,
You must be Willie Anderson from Yell or John Holmes from Hull !! ThankYou for replying great to hear from you.
I wason the maiden voyage when the Russian tanker coming out from Sheerness in thick fog collided with us on our port bow.
I remember the Japan Star run well , great times - great crew -Captain Ken Hardie, C/O Willie Mason, !st .Mate Bob Shaw, 2nd Mate John Phillips, 3rd Mate Les ? (who used to sing the Ben Line songs). Not to forget the great Deck Crew -
Tom Dunston - Bosun , Harry Nutton Chippy, Jimmy Torrie - AB, Charlie Sedgewick AB, Willie MainAB, Davie Goodbrand AB< and a lot others.
Contact me on private mail with your address.
Regards,
Billy Sinclair.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Did 8 trips on the Cruachan as EDH from 06/70 to 08/72. Happy ship with a good crew. Hardie left about 01/02, supposed to be going on the first containership Benalder.
I did the maiden voyage on the Alder about 10/72 and he was skipper. Paddy Aitken who had been mate on the Cruachan for a while was also there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
peteratow said:
Did 8 trips on the Cruachan as EDH from 06/70 to 08/72. Happy ship with a good crew. Hardie left about 01/02, supposed to be going on the first containership Benalder.
I did the maiden voyage on the Alder about 10/72 and he was skipper. Paddy Aitken who had been mate on the Cruachan for a while was also there.
Hi peteratow,
Trying to put a name and a face to the time as surely EBenarty and myself was on board when you joined - any noteable events you can remember such as whales wrapped round bows or something similar.

Trying to think that if we can keep this link going, might be able to get the whole "squad" together on-line.

By the way, the 3rd Mate was Les Morrison.

Keep in touch/BSK

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi ,
I was on the Cruachan from 9/9/68 to 19/3/70 so did not sail with you on board her, but may have sailed with you later on one of the many Ben Boats I sailed on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
A Bent Benchruachan

Hello Gentlemen,I have been following some of your correspondence about the Benchruachan,I never sailed on her but passed in either the Sheldt or the Elbe early on in the seventies.She was crabbing up the river looking a very sorry sight ,I believe she had been a victim of the rogue sea in the Agulhas current off South Africa.I can sympathise with those on board as I suffered a similar fate on the Port Chalmers a little while earlier though not as destructive as befell her. I do have a photo of her with a very large patch between number 1 and 2 holds showing her bow and fore mast leaning forward at a guess 10 degrees.Iwill have to do some more rummaging about to try and find out when it was that I saw her in South Dock London as I was either on the Port Launceston or St., Lawrence and took the photo as we passed down her starboard side. Hopefully I should to put the photo up shortly when some body shows me how to do it. I used to know quite a few lads from Ben Line as I was in the opposition in the late sixties sailing on the P boats for Blue Flue and played a few games of soccer against them and engoyed a few drinks in Henry's Bar and the Waltsing Matilda in Kowloon.TAFFY Finselbach

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Main computer down

Black Sea Kid said:
Morning EBenarty

Have you seem my private message sent on 15th and 18th ???

All the best/BSK
John,
Main computer crashed, and have been working on laptop until today as my eldest son has built a new computer for us.
Please send your private address again.
You will find a lot of our old pals in the Ben Line Unofficial website run by Chris Cladingbowl,whom you may remember. It is very good site but has not been updated for a couple of years, but still loads of stuff in the guest books which are still being updating.
Bill

1 - 20 of 60 Posts