Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyone out there browsing the Ben Line part of SN.who might have sailed on the Bendearg from 8/68-8/70 Spent that time as EDH and we had more or less the same fantastic bunch of guys on deck for the two years.What a team.
Roddy Munro
Stornoway

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi EBenarty
Thanks for your query, but no .We had Jimmy Watt from Aberdeen as bosun,and Lindsay Young Edinburgh as chippy.Both great guys.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could'nt say for sure Wully.Something at the back of my mind keeps telling me that I heard a while back that Jimmy had passed away.I would like to be proved wrong.
Maybe some of the Aberdeen boys could put us right.
Cheers Wully.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Roddy Munro said:
Hi EBenarty
Thanks for your query, but no .We had Jimmy Watt from Aberdeen as bosun,and Lindsay Young Edinburgh as chippy.Both great guys.
Iwas with Jimmy Watt as AB and Bosun after these dates on the Cruachan and Lawers - I have heard of Lindsay Young but never sailed with him. Was Ralph Cowie Captain, Jimmy Torrie, Mel Bertram ABs then?

·
Registered
13,475 Posts
dom

would jimmy watts come from peebles at one time,sailed witth a jmmy watts out of leith a few times,great shipmate

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry dom,but the Jimmy Watt we had on Dearg as bosun was definately from Aberdeen.
In reply to EBenarty for most of the time we were under the command of capt J R Morrison. Came from Aylth in Perthshire I think.On his trips off,we had capts Barr and Yuill.
Always remember when you did a wheel on the evening 4-8 capt Morrison would come up to the bridge after his dinner in spotless whites,walk out to the wing,tilt his head back to catch a cooling breeze,and smoke a fat cigar.The memories are steaming back!!!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Wully . Yes Iv'e seen that photo,think it was in the early 70s.Wish they would update that site,it's like two years since it was last done.The chap who was running the site was last heard of working in Japan
Cheers ----------Roddy

·
Registered
65 Posts
was onboard the'Dearg on that November trip to Glasgow and have not so fond memories of pumping neat scotch into the Clyde. 100,000case of Scotch for Mombassa and the most broken glass I'd ever seen. Haven't touched a drop of the stuff since.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Alistair
What really was the Bendearg doing in Glasgow at that time.Was she on charter.Wasnt on of the regular ports we visited on the two years I was on her.
Roddy

·
Registered
65 Posts
Roddy, sorry, can't tell you why she was in Glasgow. I was on her as a cadet, I think because I'd just come off her sister the Benstac. I'd signed on for the home coast and the voyage, which was to include Mombassa with the cargo of Scotch Whisky we'd picked up in Glasgow but I was then taken off in Birkenhead and flown to join the Benalder. Not for me to question why. it wouldn't surprise me if she was on charter, i seemed to keep getting those.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I sailed with a Jim Watt(AB) from Kinross on the Benstac and also with a Jim Watt or Geddes as Bosun on the Benhiant. I can't remember which one was his surname. Can anyone put me right, many thanks.
Murdo

·
Registered
5 Posts
Jimmy Watt / Frank Thom

Jimmy Watt was a good friend of mine deepsea / offshore & onshore but sadly he passed away suddenly about 18 months ago - Jimmy had only been retired a couple of years prior to this. Another seagoing friend Frank Thom also passed away about a year ago.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Dons1983
Thanks very much for passing on,(for me anyway) that piece of very sad news.I really liked Jimmy Watt.Great bosun on board,and a great guy ashore.Your thread answers a lot of questions as to the whereabouts of Jimmy.Now we know.RIP
Roddy Munro

1 - 20 of 39 Posts