Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NAME: BENREOCH.(OFFICIAL No.: 184037).BUILT BY: C. CONNELL & Co. Ltd., GLASGOW.LAUNCHED: 11th AUGUST 1952.COMPLETED OCTOBER 1952.YARD No.: 472.TONNAGE: 10,142 grt, 5,920 net. 12,240 dwt.LENGTH: 482 feet. BEAM: 64 feet.DRAUGHT: 30 feet.SPEED: 17 knots.MACHINERY: STEAM TURBINES (2), 9,350 shp BY D. ROWAN & Co. Ltd., GLASGOW.

I JOINED THE BENREOCH ON THE 4th NOVEMBER 1955 AT THE WEST INDIA DOCKS IN LONDON. SHE WAS ONLY THREE YEARS OLD AND WAS THE LAST WORD IN LUXURY AS FAR AS I WAS CONCERNED, A CABIN TO MYSELF EVEN, AIR CONDITIONING, EVEN A SWIMMING POOL, ALTHOUGH A SWIMMING POOL DURING WINTER IN LONDON WAS THE LAST THING ON MY MIND.
I DID A TOTAL OF THREE ROUND VOYAGES ON THE BENREOCH, BUT, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I FOUND THAT GOING FROM LONDON TO SINGAPORE AND BACK GETTING BORING, SO I FINALLY SIGNED OFF FOR GOOD ON THE 2nd AUGUST 1956.

THE BENREOCH WAS SOLD FOR FURTHER TRADING DURING MAY 1976 TO THE TUDIS NAVIGATION Co. S.A. OF GREECE AND RENAMED TUDIS.

ON THE 16th MARCH 1979 SHE ARRIVED AT KAOHSIUNG, FORMOSA, FOR BREAKING UP BY THE GI YUEN STEEL ENTERPRISE Co.

BENREOCH IS A 661 FOOT MOUNTAIN BETWEEN THE HEAD OF LOCH LONG AND LOCH LOMOND IN ARGYLSHIRE.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the photo Ruud. Sorry for the delay in answering, I have just come back on line after a virus crippled me. Sorry, not me, my laptop.

regards. Albert.

·
Registered
644 Posts
took the reoch to the scrappers no swimming pool on board last few years in benline every voyage scrapping voyage before moving offshore

·
Registered
182 Posts
Sure you took her to the scrappers?

She was my first Ben-boat in 1972, I went aboard to visit Willie (Yam-sing)Grey 2/E in Hull, can't remeber the date, but the ship had just been bought by the Greeks. Willie had agreeed to sail with her until first load port providing they guarenteed he had beer! At that time he was confined to the coast only and was going into the Med as far as I remember. One of the characters of the day!
(Thumb) Paul

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ben Reoch

Hi Albert,Just heard about this site recently. I joined the Ben Reoch on the day you paid off on the 2nd August 1956.I was sailing on 1st my trip in the Merchant Navy as Deck Boy after 3 months at the Dolphin Leith.Still have my original Discharge Book No 654265. Masters name was W Eyton-Jones and the mate was a chap McPhee.I heard Mcphee lived in Aberdeen as did another couple of the crew. Only did 2 trips in the MN and worked ashore for 3 years then went fishing for 25 years mostly seine net and trawling, 20 years Stand By (North Star) and Supply ships. Retired 2 years ago.

I cant remember there being a swimming pool aboard the Ben Reoch in my time. I now stay in Elgin

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Jack,
Welcolm!! I sailed with Bob McPhee when he was Captain (some man ) but I got on great with him. Unfortunately Bob died a couple of years ago, he ended up on the as OIM on Ben Line Oil Rigs and stayed in Inverurie outside Aberdeen. But Bob was from Torrie in Aberdeen and proud of it !!
He started of as deck boy in Ben Line and ended up as Master. He was a pleasure to sail with, but afew AB's may disagree with me as he seldom logged anyone - Allways offering No. 4 hatch for a boxing match first !! I do not think he lost a match !! Changed days !!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Hi Albert,Just heard about this site recently. I joined the Ben Reoch on the day you paid off on the 2nd August 1956.I was sailing on 1st my trip in the Merchant Navy as Deck Boy after 3 months at the Dolphin Leith.Still have my original Discharge Book No 654265. Masters name was W Eyton-Jones and the mate was a chap McPhee.I heard Mcphee lived in Aberdeen as did another couple of the crew. Only did 2 trips in the MN and worked ashore for 3 years then went fishing for 25 years mostly seine net and trawling, 20 years Stand By (North Star) and Supply ships. Retired 2 years ago.

I cant remember there being a swimming pool aboard the Ben Reoch in my time. I now stay in Elgin
We used to build our own swimming pools out of 4 by 2 and lined with a hatch tarpaulin they were great. The pools were even bigger than the Ledi's

·
Registered
297 Posts
Sure you took her to the scrappers?

She was my first Ben-boat in 1972, I went aboard to visit Willie (Yam-sing)Grey 2/E in Hull, can't remeber the date, but the ship had just been bought by the Greeks. Willie had agreeed to sail with her until first load port providing they guarenteed he had beer! At that time he was confined to the coast only and was going into the Med as far as I remember. One of the characters of the day!
(Thumb) Paul
I remember Yam Sing Grey well he was on the Nevis with me - WHAT A MAN !!
He got called with his COFFEE at 0400 before going on watch, but a great engineeer!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yam-sing Grey

Your right ebenarty, he was a hell of an engineer, at least before noon! By late afternoon he 'tailed-off' a bit. I did a few coasts with him and my fiancee (now wife) was his 'bookies runner' when in Hull...happy days !!

·
Registered
297 Posts
Your right ebenarty, he was a hell of an engineer, at least before noon! By late afternoon he 'tailed-off' a bit. I did a few coasts with him and my fiancee (now wife) was his 'bookies runner' when in Hull...happy days !!
Aye agree with you !!! I forgot about his wee liking for the bookies - he used to get some good tips ,as I remember we had a syndicate and we did well !!(K) Billy

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yam Sing Grey

(Thumb) Yam Sing Grey deserves a thread to himself..!!!!
Now there was a character. I had the pleasure of voyaging with him on the Benvannoch, think that was in 1974. That must have been about the end of him voyaging, he used to struggle a wee bit for 04:00hrs. but I had great respect for the man and certainly learned a lot from him. We hammered the worklist the first month on the Far East coast and after that we enjoyed a lot of "job and knock"
The result was that we had the best Far East coast I can remember. Or should I say half remember.
Ali. Bain.

·
Premium Member
1,056 Posts
Remember the story about Yam Sing when he went with the Greek crew to show them how the Benreochs engine worked,seems none of the Greeks had steam experience.When the Greek master rationed the beer.Willie just shut the job down.His answer. " No Beer.No Steam".Indeed a great character.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Yam Sing

(K) Was Yam Sing one of the "survivors" from the infamous Benveg which sailed between Singapore and Bangkok?
Ali. Bain.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Yam sing

Your right Ali,
Willie was a 'suvivor' of the Benveg, where if I remember correctly, he sailed as Chief.
He openly admitted that although he had the best time of his life,it was the start of his downfall and used to get quite remorseful when he spoke about it.Quite sad really, but a few tinnies used to cheer him up again.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Swimming pools

We used to build our own swimming pools out of 4 by 2 and lined with a hatch tarpaulin they were great. The pools were even bigger than the Ledi's

Here's a picture of our home made pool on the Bennevis in 1973, we used to transfer roughly 50 tons of bunkers to counteract the pool when full!(Thumb)

(That's me in it by the way)

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Albert

Joined Ben Line in Sept 1972 and Benreoch was first ship for coast and voyage. Master A. Hay, C/O P. Dixon, 1/0 M. Kay C/E R. Dale.
Almost the first person I ran into was a steward Charlie Farmer. A bit of an eye opener for a 16 year old to be met with a man using spoons as guns and thinking he was Clint Eastwoods double.
I met up with Muir Kay again on the rigs after I had transferred to Atlantic Drilling. I am now with Stena and still some of the old Ben Line hands around.
I have various photos and old cargo plans from these times and when I get around to getting a scanner will try to upload them.

Great site and good to relive some very happy days

Dave T

·
Registered
182 Posts
Charlie Farmer

Dave,
you bring back memories of another 'infamous' character ! He was on the 'Reoch when I was there and sailed with him on the coast a few times. Last time was on the Grey Fighter where he was in competition and tried to outdo another steward who was known as the Fonz. Hilarious times !
Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Dave T, am I right in thinking you are Dave Thow and we sailed together on the Benreoch in 1972 & 73? I've just joined SN and been reading through the many Ben Line threads. Look forward to hearing more from you.
Best regards
Iain Tulloch, Lerwick.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Iain

One in the same.I am working up in your part of the world at the moment on the Stena Spey. A far cry from the times we had together. I was with Ben Line until they sold out the last of their drilling intersts in 1996. This is a great site and one of these days I will get the gear to post some photo's I have.

Dave Thow

1 - 20 of 32 Posts