Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Banned
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the eight ship HAPARANGI class, the ***BERLAND came from the yard of A. Stephen & Sons Ltd., in 1948. Of 11,281grt on a length of 561 feet, she met her end at Kaohsiung on Christmas Day 1976 after a lifetime of service under the Red Ensign.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
MV ***berland

Hi, I was a crewmember on the ***berland from 18/6/1960 to 28/7/61. I was a steward and this was my last ship before I emigrated to New Zealand. I did two trips on her. Before that I "worked by" on the 'Nottingham' and did a trip on the 'Hinakura' before that.
My first ship with New Zealand Shipping Co was the MV Surrey. I did three trips on her from 2nd January 1957 to 30th April 1958.
I also sailed on the "Darro" (Royal Mail) and the MV "Port Dunedin" (2 trips).
If anyone is from the same era and interested in starting up a dialogue on a regular/irregular basis I will pleased to reply.
regards Peter Steele. [email protected]

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, I was an Assistant Engineer on the ***berland for two trips from October 1973 until December 1974.
Although we had to work hard on the first trip because it kept breaking down, I enjoyed the 'H' boat atmosphere so much, I returned for a second trip before I decided to have a change of ship.
If anyone sailed on her during this same period please get in touch.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dox.
Sorry can't remember anyone by that name.
One I do remember was the 2nd Engineer called Grant Wallace. He was from up the top of Scotland, Buckie I think.
Steve.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Haparangie, Hinikura, Hauraki, Hurunui, Hertford, Huntingdon, ***berland, Sussex, the glorious "H" Boats. Hauraki ws the first - 1946.
Fantastic ships, 2 x 5 cylinder LBD Doxfords witha centre scavange pump. The John Brown build engines had solid link top piston swining arms for upper piston cooland whilst the others, built by Vickers - Armstrongs and A.Stephen and Sons had swinging hoses to carry upper piston coolant. Many many happy days!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Dox,
The ***berland which was built by Alex Stephens had solid pipe swinging arms not the hoses.
I remember them bloody things like the back of my hand. Always having to re pack the glands when they were leaking.
If you had to stop at sea when they got so bad, you were given about two minutes to undo he gland, strip out the old packing and re pack. You got damned good at that.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Steve,
You are correct, barcly curle come to mind. We used a new invovation of expensive packing instead of the normal Beldam. Chestertons I think it was called. Came already cut and in rolls. Very easy to use.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
One trip on the old Sussex from Falmouth to Cape town we stopped 36 times for water leaks and pulled in to the Canaries for a X head bearing failure. I think those old engines ran on water and lube oil, they certainly had their fair share of emusified oil.

·
Banned
21 Posts
I wonder if any of you NZS and Federal old timers can help me. Around 1970, I was ashore working for a Marine Paint outfit in Liverpool. We were asked by NZS to paint one of the Black hull ships in the NZS light green.

The ship was berthed in Birkenhead at the time and was duly painted under my supervision. She looked great when finished and we were very proud of her.

Some two months later, my boss and I were summoned to the main NZS Office in James Street, Liverpool and shown some pictures of the ship when she reached Australia. The paint was hanging off in sheets and showing the black underneath.(EEK)

I dont think we were asked to do it again, or in fact do anything again for NZS.(Sad)

Does anyone remember the incident and if so the name of the ship as I cannot recall her name at all.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Chris,

Not so much of the "old timer", lol.
The NZSC "T" and "M" class ships were painted in Green. Tongariro, Taupo, Tekoa and Westmorland, Mataura and Manapouri. Wild auk was also painted in Green when she was new, but as to a paint job in Liverpool over black, I'm not sure. Perhaps some of the other "old timers" can help????

·
Banned
21 Posts
Thanks Dox, I really cant remember the name but it did happen and I will never forget sitting in the NZS office and looking at those pics, I couldnt believe what I was looking at.

I dont know if it was a one off experiment by the company or if they tried it again. I know that we did try to get them to shotblast the hull to get the old paint off but it appears that was too expensive and we had to paint over the existing black gloss paint. We washed her down in fresh water, but obviously there was still alot of salt around to stop the new paint sticking properly.

Hope someone can tell me her name.

Chris.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Nice to hear from you again Stevie. We have chatted before through Merchant Navy Officers. I did the trip on the ***berland after you. I too remember Grant Walace but he was second on the Wild Auk when I was there. You joined in Halifax when Tony someone or other was second. Yes I too remember those bloody glands and when the swinging links in the crancase which cooled the lower pistons went it was a very hot sweaty job to do them with the engine just stopped.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was on the MV ***berland between 18th April and the 4th Oct. '63 as an EDH and then again from the 6th Nov. '63 'til 23rd March '64. I actually got married in Lyttelton that trip and then I got a run job on the Waitaki which was the Whakatane and it was sold to the Union Steamship Co. So except for a trip home in 1985 I have been out here ever since. I would like to hear from anyone from that time or before as I also was on the Rangitoto the Devon Dorset Lincoln (Tanker) also the Newcastle Star and the Drina. (Royal Mail Lines)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Santos said:
Thanks Dox, I really cant remember the name but it did happen and I will never forget sitting in the NZS office and looking at those pics, I couldnt believe what I was looking at.

I dont know if it was a one off experiment by the company or if they tried it again. I know that we did try to get them to shotblast the hull to get the old paint off but it appears that was too expensive and we had to paint over the existing black gloss paint. We washed her down in fresh water, but obviously there was still alot of salt around to stop the new paint sticking properly.

Hope someone can tell me her name.

Chris.
Cameleon? (Hippy) I know not helpfull (Thumb)

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
tony millen# 18

Hi Tony from North shore Jafaland. I might have been on ***berland same time as you. On my trip we carried some Aberdeen Angus on deck and a few midget horses and someones pet dog that had been in quarantine . The dog was called Bengo. I have located one shipmate from that trip and he is in Mt Maunganui. He did about seven trips on her so you might know him too. Peter Gallagher A/s. I was second cook and baker. Bernie and Danny on deck, can't remember anymore names. Regards Ronnie

1 - 20 of 42 Posts