Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is sure to trigger fierce arguments but here goes anyway:
What is the best looking ferry in service today?
This is regardless of where it operates, or how reliable it is - just external visual appearance.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I think the new Maersk Norfolkline trio look quite good as well as Color Fantasy but I really couldn't pick out on single best looking ferry.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Treeve...the Scillonian III may look a lovely vessel....but she is an absolute cow of a ship to sail on. Even on a calm day, when she hits the point where the Atlantic Ocean meets the English Channel...she's a white knuckle ride, due to her flat bottom in getting into St Mary's.

For me it's the Pont l'Abbe...ex Dana Anglia between Plymouth and Francais.

Rushie

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
Scillonian III

Absolutely, Rushie, a ship for real sailors!! :D
And, Peter did qualify by saying regardless of reliability (*))
That's what I like about Scillonian III, you can feel the water
under you, you can sense the sea. A lot of ships I have been on,
well, I may as well be on a number 9 bus, for all the excitement
it gave me. That area of sea has always been rather splendid;
seven currents meet at the Wolf Rock, so I have been told. (Thumb)

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
I would suggest the last one I built ;
the Fairweather which runs at Gondola Point in New Brunswick ! I shall take a sail down there tomrrow and Post a pic , She is a cable ferry and it is of significance that she is at Gondola Point which is where the first cable ferry ever operated .
The first one was designed and built by William Pitt and powered by horses . At that crossing today there is also a Ferry called the William Pitt which was also built by the company I used to manage before I retired ,
My daughter in law is a decendant of the Pitts .
Derek

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Treeve,

That's correct about the seven currents meeting.

I sailed on her last summer in light winds. When we got to that point the crew were inviting people to "rest" in cabins downstairs.! Meanwhile I was at the bar.!

Rushie

·
Registered
70 Posts
bute

Calmacs got a few contenders m.v Bute though after her first winter sailings she proved her usfulnes another would maybe be the calmac flagship M.v Hebrides who has had no teethingproblems at all but i would need to say the m.v Brenda corllett (ex Pioneer) wins hands down as a maid of all work proved to be the most useful and best designed ship in the west of scotland

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She may be a true workhorse, but is she necessarily the best looking ferry in existence?
MV Bute looks a versatile vessel, and Hebrides is a very good looker.

·
Registered
70 Posts
best design

ah but the pioneer was designed with a shallow hull so she could sail up shallow lochs or approach shallow peirs and was also quite a good vessal in heavy swells that would see Bute confined to Rothesay but i do Agree the hebrides is better looking out of the 3

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You're having a laugh? They are all as ugly as sin!

In profile Bute & Heb are just about ok but thats where it ends.

Hebrides is an excellent ship, In my opinion the best Cal-Mac have produced in a long time but that said she was not my favourite ( I worked on them for 24 years ) and anyway that wasn't the question.

I would say Norfolk Line new builds are about the best looking ferries in service at the moment

p.s. Hebrides is not the flagship...there isn't one! If there were it would be Clansman ( Commanded by Senior Master )

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Hi
These are or were my favorites:
Dana Regina
Ionic Ferry (ex Dragon)
The Viking Valiant, Venturer, Viscount & Voyager (pre altered)
Tor Scandinavia
Tor Britannia
Winston Churchill

And for working on:
Europic Ferry
European Trader
Viking Viscount

Regards
Karl

·
Banned
25 Posts
Based on visual and sentimental values, not cold hard efficiency and convenience:
Lake Michigan Carferry's coal fired steamship 'Badger' built in 1952. Runs across the Lake in the summer season between Ludington, Michigan and Manitowac, Wisconsin carrying passengers and automobiles.

http://www.greatlakesdigitalimaging.com/badger01.jpg

(Her inactive sistership, 'Spartan', is in the background)

Bruce C

·
Registered
157 Posts
Based on visual and sentimental values, not cold hard efficiency and convenience:
Lake Michigan Carferry's coal fired steamship 'Badger' built in 1952. Runs across the Lake in the summer season between Ludington, Michigan and Milwaukee, Wisconsin carrying passengers and automobiles.

http://www.greatlakesdigitalimaging.com/badger01.jpg

(Her inactive sistership, 'Spartan', is in the background)

Bruce C
Based on sentimental value I would have chosen Pride of Hampshire (post-rebuild Viking Venturer)

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/pride_of_hampshire_1975_b_3.htm
http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/pride_of_hampshire_1975_b_2.htm

But for looks it has to be what is now Moby Otta/Drea (ex Tor Scandinavia/Britannia)

http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/princess_of_scandinavia_1976_b_11.htm

·
Registered
13 Posts
The last of the 1960s Swedish Lloyd trio that retains her original looks and is still utterly gorgeous, inside and out, the Ancona (ex-Svea) is surely a contender:

:)

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
Best looker

The Isle of Wight Denny built twins MV Southsea and Brading are by far the most georgeous ships to grace the Island route and a worthy candidates for the title of best lookers.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Morning All,

The Classic Railway Ship " SS Maid of Kent",(1959) looked more like a Mini Liner, in fact was dubbed the Pocket Liner in many articles about her by shipping writers during her long career.

Another popular little gem was the Railways "SS Lord Warden" (1951) the first purpose built drive on drive off car ferry for the Dover cross channel route.

Both the above ships were very popular with their crews, and in the Summer season the Deep Sea lads wanting to have the Summer home and the Hasting's Navy all used to ask for these two ships by name.

Normandy Ferries 1972 Danish built "nf Tiger".compared too many other ferries out of Dover during the late 1970's she was a breath of fresh air.
This classic old lady is still going strong back up in the waters she origanly was built for.the Baltic, and is still a popular ship.

The "FE5" not the best looking ships but out of the orignal Townsend eight she always looked the best and was another very popular Dover ship.

Townsend/ P&O, 1987 " Pride of Dover" the first Super Ferry on the Channel, built to take on the threat of Channel Tunnel she was nicknamed the Chunnelbeater. Far better looking than the Spirit class vessels, an easy loader and well thought out and still doing the job she was built for with the minumum of fuss. During the night of the Hurricane (October 1987) she was the last ship to get into Dover Harbour and berth alongside undamaged while all the smaller ferries were stuck outside. We steamed into the harbour as the hurricane was beginning to reach its height around two oclock in the morning, our bow tug wire parted at 70 miles an hour and we more or less got blown onto the berth.

I could name a few more oldies but the above are my real favourites, also I am probably biased (I am sure its allowed) because at one time or another in betweeen Deep Water days I was the Bos'un of all the above.

Seasons Greetings to All.

Best Regards

Locking Splice

1 - 20 of 87 Posts