Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mine would have to be castle.. tiger.. sappora.ashi kiren. mind partial to the old bottle or two of rum and sake... (K)

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
agree all good beers but some stick in your memory and bring back where you had them and if they were cold ice cold or yuk mind bramha chop quite taste ice cold in vittoria and rio.

·
Registered
18,770 Posts
In Australia, Cascade and Boags from Tasmania seem to be winning all the awards, but I can remember when you couldn't give them away. My tipple of choice is the Melbourne brewed Victoria Bitter - they pay for the cricket now that the tobacco industry is banned and it is the "Very Best" beer, even though Melburnians call it "Visitors Beer" (a profit is always without honour in his own country).

Calvin mentioned Castle Lager - I put that at the bottom of the heap along with any beer from South Australia and anything endorsed by CAMRA (Campaign for Real Ale) in the UK. A sentimental favourite is, of course,Tennants Lager, the ale that showed me the failings of English Bitter, and I have very fond memories of more than one "Kiste" of Dortmunder Union.

Here in Australia, Corona ("La cerveza mas fina") is becoming almost as trendy as Flaming Sambuccas and I have to admit it's not that bad, I just refuse to pay $5 for something that probably costs 20c in Mexico!

John T

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Many years ago I was in China and went to visit the local brewry and it was still the same as when the Germans had it at the early part of the 20th century.
Tsingto was the name of it & I considered it one of the best brewed as they did not add all sorts of chemical rubbish then.

Next Best is from Toronto, a micro brewer that makes it in the old railroad sheds.
Called "Steamwhistle" and my favourite in the summer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Best beer in world

Best beer I remember from my days at sea was sold in dockyard bars in Gydnia, Polish name, Pivo we called it P..so! it looked a bit like raw scrumpy but kept its head while you were losing yours! worked out at about 6d a litre (black market xchange rate 1967) great times in cafe de baltic on the old Baltrover Also Four Bells Rum can't get that now, have a friend who visits the Caribbean & fetches me back Pussers or Mount Gay, (Pint) (Pint) (Thumb) Good stuff, cheers!
Rennop

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
Tsing Dao

lakercapt said:
Tsingto was the name of it .
The name of the city, the pilsner-type beer and the equally good white wine is pronounced "Ching Dow" and written as Tsingdao or Qingdao, depending on which spelling convention you use. As you say the area was occupied by many Germans early last century and, in addition to the brewery and the vineyards, the architecture bears witness to their influence. There are still many houses there that would not be out of place along the Mainz or in Munchen.

Made the mistake of taking a train from there to Tienjin one Sunday. Huge steam locomotive and only about 8 coaches but it took nearly 15 hours to travel the 430 miles. No food or drink on board, was I glad to get off!

Ron

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
Number one for me would be the original Holsten beer from Hamburg, but there was alot of beer that came a close 2nd.

Frank

·
Registered
17 Posts
OK - let's see how many people can I upset here with a few home truths! (*))

I am sorry guys but the only good beer comes from England - note I said England and not the UK. We have dozens of excellent brews including the ones quoted by my compatriots. My personal favourite is Black Sheep but my local has at least 12 individual types of bitter on sale at any time.

We call good beer "Real Ale" - it is made with great respect by skilled people from high quality ingredients - not produced in industrial quantities in a chemical plant. It does not have to be drunk at sub-zero temperatures so as to numb your taste buds so they don't rebel - it can be enjoyed at just below room temperature so you can taste it.

Unlike most of the stuff available round the world, decent beer comes in barrels and not bottles. And it is delivered from the barrel by gravity or a handpump and not by some dreadful compressed gas.

I understand that Real Ale does not travel too well and would not last long in hot countries - you all have my sympathy for having to put up with second-best. Cold countries have no excuse though. Admittedly there are some tolerable lagers available around the world but they are about as individual as distilled water.

My case rests yerronner!

(runs for cover and hides behind a group of nuns wearing spectacles in the hope of avoiding reprisals).[=P]

Brian

·
Registered
8,604 Posts
Not in the least bit upset. Qiute happy sitting back and supping on my own brew - cheap, tasty, and a kick like a mule!

Attachments

·
Registered
249 Posts
Benjidog,

The Victoria on Church Street in St. Anne's used to have THE BEST Boddington's.
I was weaned on that stuff!!!

malcolm

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Worst beer for a Kiwi is warm beer. Sailing out of the UK, my first mission on joining a ship was nipping in to the Officers bar and turning the fridge thermostat dial up - then spent the next month trying to convince the (sorry) Poms that cold beer is better. Of course, if Guinness is available (cold), there is no good beer.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts