Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worth a look .... 1959/62 cir***navigation in a small yacht... nice shots of merchant ships in assorted locations starting at 18.50...
Panama Canal, Auckland, Aden, Suez and elsewhere

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Just rereading for the umpteenth time Hiscocks book Wandering under sail. Do***ents buying his first “ Wanderer “ and his singlehanded exploits around parts of the U.K. Ireland and France.
All done in the 1930’s without all the technology small boats have today including an engine.
Davie

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, worth watching on several levels.... I bought a copy of 'Voyaging under Sail' in 1969.... bought my first keelboat... a Vertue ( Wanderer 3 is a 'stretched' Vertue ) in 1984....

Bought my present boat ... a Westerly Sealord ... in 1994... and took orf cruising in 2003....

I blame it all on the Hiscocks... :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Reminds me of a film The Dove (1974) about a young American who spent 5 years sailing around the world on a 23 foot sailbaot!!! Something of a tear jerker.

Watched it at a copper mining camp just outside Ilo, Peru when on the Maplebank loading copper ingots for China (about April 79) - wasnt much else to do in Ilo!!!!!!

Surprised at the number of ingots dropped in the dock duirng loading for future 'recovery' by the dockers.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ilo?
That is one of the better spots on the west coast...
Last November I took a bus trip...well several bus trips ... from Guayaquil to Puerto Montt... Guayaquil/Lima... Lima/Arica... Arica/Iquique... Iquique/La Serena... La Serena/Santiago ( as the taxi driver taking me to the bus terminus in La Serena said... 'you are going where? Good luck with that' this was at the height of the riots and stuff)
then Santiago/Pto Montt.

Most was on coast roads... you would be bouncing along... nothing but nothing... then around a headland... a loader... a ship at anchor... nothing else for miles and not much then....

That is a godforsaken coast ...

·
Registered
6,857 Posts
Surprised at the number of ingots dropped in the dock duirng loading for future 'recovery' by the dockers.
In Genoa in 1961, Joe Constantine's mv Lochwood was discharging some sort of bronze ingots of several different grades (all separately colour-coded using 3-colour combinations) that we had loaded in Newport, Mon. They had been tipped into the hold in heaps and for discharge, 30 or 40 assorted ingots were individually placed, by hand, onto flat pallets to be swung ashore using the dock-side crane. Each colour combination had to be tallied separately.

One of the pallets was bumped against the ship's rail (accidentally?) and several ingots fell between the ship and the quayside. Some shouting and agitation and then the discharge continued.

Within half an hour a "deep-sea diver" arrived, brass helmet, lead boots and all and work was stopped while he recovered every ingot. I don't know how much each ingot was worth but it must have been substantial to galvanise the Italians into action like that.

·
Registered
6,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've just looked up the price of copper before the virus knocked the prices back a bit $2.70 a pound or just shy of $5000 US a tonne.
We used to load 'wire bars' of copper which were about as much as one man could lift... say 50kg... so $250 US an ingot.... more or less.

These days it seems to be exported - from Chile at least - as sheets about a metre square.

This is copper awaiting export in Antofagasta.. *big* trainloads of this stuff roll down the main street on their way to the port all day long....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
It was really enjoyable,though I cant believe they went from Aden to Port Said and not one Bluey. Despite that, thank you for posting, it was a different world then.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Well done and very well made great movie,

Cheers GWB

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
At around 1hr 16 minutes (I think) keep an eye open for the Baron Boat.
Looked like one of the motor vessels by the shape of the funnel. The last of that ship style/size before going much larger and becoming Scottish Ship Management with Lyles?
Davie

1 - 11 of 11 Posts