Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks Pat, and your picture of the park gates looks familiar.

I also recall the was a United Molasses plant across from the Graving Dock

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Thanks for the memory Ian I lived for a short time in Melling,late 60s early 70s. On a summers evening often walked up to Bootle Arms.made a change from the Horse & Jockey,I think the area was actually called Melling Rock.
my sister worked as a part time barmaid at the bootle arms for many years and we lived on the edge of maghul so walked up rock lane to the pub .melling rock was right

·
Registered
6,923 Posts

Thank you for that, Supergoods.

The tall building in the background is surely the Royal Duke pub,between Duke Street and Duke Street Bridge; and the horse-drawn wagon in the foreground is turning into the next gateway to the west. Was this a gateway for the 87 ton Crane Berth?

Memory plays dreadful tricks; and a photographic record is a wonderful thing, telling us much of the chronology of events. I agree that it looks like the 1950s.

The turn for Vittoria Wharf was surely at the Royal Duke?

·
Registered
825 Posts
The Duke is behind the camera which is looking towards Canning Street and the Four Bridges.
This entry way went across the bridge at the entrance to Vittoria Dock and then turned left between the sheds to run up towards the Duke Street Bridge. This was a secure entry, hence the policeman on the gate.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
The Duke is behind the camera which is looking towards Canning Street and the Four Bridges.
This entry way went across the bridge at the entrance to Vittoria Dock and then turned left between the sheds to run up towards the Duke Street Bridge. This was a secure entry, hence the policeman on the gate.

That is correct Supergoods, the photo shows the entrance to Vittoria Dock at Vittoria St. The pub in the distance is The Dolphin.
On entering that gate, ahead of you was the bridge across Vittoria Dock entrance, which led to the Clan Line berths, and onward to the East Float side of Vittoria Dock. To the right, Cathcart St berth, and to the left the Blue Funnel Berths at Vittoria Dock.

·
Registered
14,249 Posts

Thank you for that, Supergoods.

The tall building in the background is surely the Royal Duke pub,between Duke Street and Duke Street Bridge; and the horse-drawn wagon in the foreground is turning into the next gateway to the west. Was this a gateway for the 87 ton Crane Berth?

Memory plays dreadful tricks; and a photographic record is a wonderful thing, telling us much of the chronology of events. I agree that it looks like the 1950s.
The turn for Vittoria Wharf was surely at the Royal Duke?

Barrie, the 87 ton crane was situated in the West Float,at Cavendish Quay.
Do you recall the Hoveringham dredgers discharging just around there in the 60s and 70s? Well that's where the 87 ton crane was.

Attachments

·
Registered
485 Posts
My memories of my Ellerman days in Birkenhead were the Penny Bridge and the pretty nurses at Clatterbridge Hospital.
Does anybody have a plan of those docks, would be interested to see where we tied up?

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter #70

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
My memories of my Ellerman days in Birkenhead were the Penny Bridge and the pretty nurses at Clatterbridge Hospital.
Does anybody have a plan of those docks, would be interested to see where we tied up?
Hi Michael,
I worked at Ellerman ships berthed at Nos 3 and 5 West Float many times in the late 60s and early 70s, when Ellermans ran a joint service to East Africa with T & J Harrison.
Attached is a satellite image of the area, the two berths in question are in the lower left centre of the image just opposite Gilbrook Basin. As you can see, Bidston Dock has been filled in and is just a wilderness, and the only ships in sight are two RFAs in lay up, Fort Austin to the left, and ' I think, Black Rover to the right, (now gone for scrap).
I think the image is about a year old.
Regards,
Pat.

Attachments

61 - 74 of 74 Posts