Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us that drew our tot. It is a sad day as 50 years ago today the daily issue of rum was abolished.
I shall be having my tot at 1145 up spirits (standfast the holy ghost)

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
I'm guessing you won't be toasting Admiral Hill-Norton at the appointed time.

I will join you this evening if I may in a tot of Kraken.

Doubtless yours will be a Woods Pussers.

Best regards

S2182

·
Spongebob
9,329 Posts
You were in the wrong Navy Waldziu , the RNZN stopped it on the 28thFebruary 1990 , the last to do so.
That was when we a obtained a few ships that had complications like electronics etc.
My very first inebriation came from that dark fluid at 17 when out on engine trials on a newly re commissioned Frigate and my fitter and I were quartered in the ERA's mess .

Bob

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
We had an issue of 1 tot a week on the weather ships. We used to save it for our last night out, probably illegal. The Radio ops used to go to single operator watches on the way in. If you were lucky you probably didn't have to do a watch in which case after playing all the bits of the films we liked and drinking the three tots,slept like a log.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was accommodated on Belfast when the tot was stopped and Sparkie my preference is Kraken also which I had last night at miss musters.

Spongebob, when I joined up I was unaware that NZ had a navy. :)

·
Spongebob
9,329 Posts
I was accommodated on Belfast when the tot was stopped and Sparkie my preference is Kraken also which I had last night at miss musters.

Spongebob, when I joined up I was unaware that NZ had a navy. :)
HMNZS Achilles was there at the battle of River Plate , about the time King George 6th granted NZ its Naval charter .
Our navy then manned cruisers Archilles and her sister ship plus three Bird class mine sweepers .
When I served my Dockyard apprentuship she sported two cruisers, seven Loch class Frigates , two Bird class , and four Bathurst class mine sweepers . All virtual well battle worn hand me downs from the war .
There was a lot of rum flowing then.

Bob

·
Registered
349 Posts
Spongebob : HMNZS Achilles was not present at the Battle of the River Plate. The battle took place in December 1939 when New Zealand didn't have a navy. The Royal Navy cruiser HMS Achilles was present, with many NZeders in the crew.

The HMS Achilles was transferred, and recommissioned, into the NZ navy after its creation in Sept 1941.
From March 1937 the HMS Achilles served in the Royal Navy "NZ Division".

·
Spongebob
9,329 Posts
Ok, I knew that, I was just checking to see if anyone else was paying attention!
An old friend of mine, USSCo Second engineer Frank Jack was a Chief ERA on Achilles during that battle and he later worked with me at Babcock
Regards Bob

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob, I was also aware of the part NZ took in WWII but as a fifteen-year-old joining the Royal Navy, I knew nothing about other countries' navies. It was during my 24 years before the mast to meet many sailors around the world. In 68 we were exercising with the NZ Navy and in and out of Devonport Dyd. Your licencing hours were a tad strange at the time, especially in Nelson after the Tropical Cyclone Giselle.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
In 86 they was still a sailmakers training school in Pompey Dyd. The Buffer of HMS Dryad got his oppo to make me an awning for the patio of the dryad junior rates NAFFI Club of which I was the chairman at the time. cost tea, coffee, sugar for their tea boat and golf balls for the boss.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My mate Caspar said it was the electronics that caused the end of the tot. tipsy matelots and advanced fire control apparutus were not a good mix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts