Ships Nostalgia banner

701 - 720 of 724 Posts

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Any of you "older" BF chaps recall a middy called Tony Ablett. Would have been probably in the mid fifties? Also, one called Gordon Vickery who would have been there late fifties/early sixties. Any later info on either would be appreciated. Tks.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Again, Gordon Vickery rings a bell. I may be well off, but I seem to remember a Mate by that name when I was on the Nestor.
Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
6 Posts
Updates

Hi,
The two people in charge at Aulis early 70s were Jim Turner and John Muir. John Hudson was still the Principle. Ron Simmons also seemed to be lurking in the background, I think coaching deck side for tickets.
Gordon Vickery left to join Worldwide Tankers and I don't know what happened to Keith. They also had a nephew Don who sailed with P&OCL, unfortunatly he died about 5 years ago.
Cheers
Barry

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
He did have a younger brother. Could have been Keith. Tks. I had a feeling Gordon was last heard of on the final Andrew Weir round the world service which finished a couple of years ago. However, I have no proof that it was the same chap.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
There was a Master on Bank Line RWS who was ex. BF. Towards the end of the service this. Remember thinking he'd seen better days!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Well, if that was Gordon, he should have been retired. He would have been over 65. I can't remember when that service stopped but it seems like only two or three years ago.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Any of you "older" BF chaps recall a middy called Tony Ablett. Would have been probably in the mid fifties? Also, one called Gordon Vickery who would have been there late fifties/early sixties. Any later info on either would be appreciated. Tks.
Unusual surname and one I remember in the context of being a Union official with the National Union of Seaman.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have checked through my collection of old "Halfdeck " Magazines and find that A.J Ablett joined as a middy in last quarter of 1955 from Campbell College Belfast. This was in the very first edition of Halfdeck Jan 1956.
Gordon [G.C].Vickery joined in 1959 from Plymouth Navigation School
I have most of the Halfdeck Mags from 1 to 14 and the quarterly sailings pages
up to issue 18 when I think it fizzled out .

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Absolutely correct. Tony Ablett was senior to me at Campbell College and I knew him reasonably well. I had an early interest in going to sea brought about by my father and several close relatives in the service. However, I was totally intrigued by Ablett's departure to Aberdovey and BF. I think it was the final push I needed to follow him to sea and I have long wondered how he got on.

Gordon Vickery was with me for a couple of tickets at Plymouth, certainly Masters. We were good pals and spent an enormous amount of time in the Bedford Arms. Again, I have often wished I had been able to keep in touch with him. Thanks for that.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
It was a very nostalgic moment when, knowing that my old and last sailed in ship, the Glenroy, was in the Royals I took the opportunity of paying her a visit accompanied by my wife.
We climbed the gangway to be greeted by the same quarter-master who had been at the wheel for the very last watch I had kept on my seventh voyage in that ship exactly ten years previously- it had also been my last deep-sea voyage before going piloting.
It had been a long association with that fine ship beginning in immediate post war years when she was still H.M.S. Glenroy: on Operation Popcorn (when I was a middy in the Empire Capulet) and we were on a liberating operation to the Andaman Islands.
As I showed my wife my old 2nd mate's cabin I was struck by how much smaller it had, seemingly, become! It was full of stand-bye mates and we were not invited in-maybe they were discussing the not very promising future!
For more on this ship click HERE : 2260 views to date. Thankyou John Callis dcd. for that splendid photograph taken by you from the S. Goodwin L/S way back in 1956.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings, Chaps (& Lasses)!

I wonder if anyone has any info on the VSIS DEMODOCUS, which delivered food & other supplies around the INdian Ocean in support of Lord Mountbaten's Southeast Asia Command in WW2. I correspondended with two chaps who were midshipmen in 1945, but would like to learn about the mission(s) and personnel of that shipfor a biog of Dr. T.L. Harrison, Canada's SECOND Bethune, and according to his daughter, the model for Indy Jones. Any help appreciated and I would be delighted to exchange my own info with you.

Cheers & best compliments of the Xmas season

Allan

·
Registered
6 Posts
Blue Funnel photographs

Gentlemen, during my holiday in Lanzarote I have taken four photographs of interest to "Blue Flue Chaps". In particular the MV Temple Hall which was part of the fleet from 1954-69. It's a sad end but at least you can still visit the remains of the wreck, whereas most of us ex-Red Duster lad's have lost our ship's to razor blades.
cut/paste URL link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157632746935152/

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
On the Flickr photographs the wreck does have a blue funnel with black top and in 1979 was renamed Telamon, perhaps this is where the well meaning confusion springs from as it is not an Alfred Holt vessel.
Benn

701 - 720 of 724 Posts