Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
undefinedundefinedundefined

I have a good selection of Blue Funnel and Straits Steamship also Clan Line Photographs if any one is interested and can scan any or most of what may be required.
I also write for the website www.merchantnavyofficers.com and am the admin'or for Blue Funnel, Straits Steamship and Clan Line.

I am also a member of The Blue Funnel Association. Anyone needing info on the Association please contact me by E mail.

·
Banned
3 Posts
Welcome aboard, Captain. Photographs are always well received here, so post away!
Personally, I'm interested in the PRIAM class, as two of them ended up out here running for China Navigation as KWEICHOW and KWANGSI.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Welcome from Italy Capt.John, any type of merchant ships are good for the site as you can see !!!!!-
Gp

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
Welcome to the site, hope that you enjoy it. We are always happy to see more pictures so post away with a vengeance. We look forward to your input.
Doug

·
Registered
3 Posts
Capt. Bax. Retd. said:
OK David. I will get them going for you as soon as I can settle on this board. I have all the pictures and I know you are talking about the last Priam Class..After my Time. !!!!! Funnel on wrong end.!!! At the moment am having a lot of problems with user name and password, so bear with me.

John.

funnel on the wrong end? john what about "centaur" ha ha!!! you can't escape the "ferret"!!!!!

5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello.

Re CENTAUR, she was special, the others, before our time my friend (The Good Times.) Am going to put one of "Our" HECTOR up soon. The one at Port Melbourne.

Maybe someone out here knows where we can find a picture of JALAWAR and NORTH STAR. The first vessels of the what became Clan Line.Welcome aboard FERRET. We been together a long time, got to keep the Tabnabs fresh. !!!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I sailed on six Blue Funnel ships between 1968 and 1972, Hector, Ixion, Perseus, Pyrrhus, Atreus, and the Priam. I also have quite a few photos of Blue funnel vessels on my website. All the Best, Tony Jones R867015.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hector

The Hector was my first ship, I joined her in Hull on December 19th 1968. She had just arrived from Australia for the last time, as she would be running to the Far East from then on. We discharged meat at Hull, Bremen, and K.G.V dock London, before we sailed to Glasgow, where we spent about a month, fitting her with deep tanks, for latex. I paid off in Birkenhead on February 9th 1969. I did do a trip Far East on her, as J.O.S. from June 29th to October 2nd 1970, she was on the Bangkok run, but that’s another story. All the best, Tony Jones, R867015.

Attachments

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was Senior Midshipman on HECTOR from 16-5-61 'til 21-8-61. A truly magnificent passenger/cargo liner in her time. Among many fond memories of the voyage was the Captain's farewell to the Mersey pilot...."Cheerio pilot, see you on the evening tide of 15th August". And he did,too !!! . Some ETA..Some schedualing...Some ship.!!!!
Subsequent voyages on ships of other companies operating under the same conference took 5 months minimum for the same voyage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sailed on "HECTOR" as junior engineer from 3-1-66 to 12-11-66 on the Australian service.
I then joined the "ULYSSES" on 4-1-67 and sailed with her from Glasgow to Houston where she took up service on the Blue Sea Line service. I remained with her until signing off in New York on 18-12-67.
Although totally different, these were two magnificent steam turbine vessels.
I particularly remember we would crack open "the extra six" nozzles on the homeward run on "HECTOR" when in the Red Sea in order to be certain not to miss the next northbound convoy through the Suez canal.
Would be good to hear from any others who were on those vessels at that time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
R651400 said:
...and here she is, but which port?

Was it Sydney ???

I remember our first port of call was Freemantle.We had just tied up alongside and finished stations when the ship lurched forward and bounced violently on the springs,breaking an 8inch headline. A ship berthing astern of us had given us a hefty clout on the starboard quarter and left its breastplate in one of the crews' toilets. A Chinese fitter ,who happened to be sitting on the throne at the time ,told the accident investigator..."That was the best raxative I've ever had in my rife"

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )

·
Super Moderator
7,204 Posts
Hi Capt

The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek

1 - 20 of 72 Posts