Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Sailed on the HECTOR

I sailed on the Hector 1971 home trade as a peggy, She was my second ship.
Liverpool to Belfast..I got hit in the leg by a hatch board and payed off in Belfast.Then off to the Autolycus one H/T and 3 Far East trips.
Bluey's I sailed on Clytoneus, Hector, Autolycus, Patroclus, Philocaties, Hector (maiden Voyage bulker) Ascanius,Atreus, Antilochus, Lycaon
ED's Egori, Dumurra, Fourah Bay,Forcadas, Dixcove
OCL. Tokyo Bay
Glen. Glenogle.
Good old days
Cheers
Kevin Radford R904927
Pilot

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, sailed on the Theseus in 1962 as second trip jos. signed on birkenhead 20/08/62. signed off 06/01/63. we did the usual far east run and then back to singapore for orders. left singapore for java, then we went to brisbane newcastle sidney melbourne and finaly albany for whale oil. while berthing in albany the tug hit us very hard about the middle of the after well deck and left a whopper of a dent i remember we had to shift cargo so a cement box could be fitted sailed for aden and then the continent before going home what a brilliant trip. 4 mths - 23 days. does anybody remember the voyage. regards allan

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
Hope all the spare parts are working now John and you don't ring too many alarms when going though airport security.
Now that spring is here you will be able to be about and see some traffic going through the Brockville Narrows.
Regards
Bill

·
Registered
241 Posts
Derek Roger said:
Hi Capt.
I was in Riversdale in the early 60s and knew a lot of the Blue Flu chaps ( Mostly Engineers but some Midshipmen too ) There was an instuctor at Aulis Capt . Rooney and an engineering Supt from Dundee by the name of
Gillespie . Perhaps you would know them ??? Derek ( from Brocks )
Captain Rooney was Terence C Rooney.
Terry served his time with Gibbs of Cardiff and was later with Smiths, he was 2nd Mate of "Cornish City" on my first trip early in 1956; he was in charge of the crew party travelling via Liverpool St, Harwich to Rotterdam, a lively experience as I recall. He was later with Moss Hutch and went into nautical education. He became a promionent member of the N.I. and HCMM in S. Wales, he is now retired in Dinas Powys.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Blue Funnel Eng. Supts.

Derek Roger said:
The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek
There were two Engineer Superintendents that attended ships in Glasgow in 1960/61
One was (I think) a Mr Gilchrist. The other I do remember was a Mr Christian.
He probably terrified Blue Funnel engineers, he certainly terrified contractors.
In Glasgow there would normally be G & J Weir and Clyde Blower (sootblower makers) on board the P and H class turbine steamers. Mr Chistian would demand to know what we were working on and how many men were doing it.
Such was the power and reputation of Blue Flue at that time that on being allocated our jobs for the day we would leave Cathcart with the final words of Andy Stevens the Weir Outside Works Manager ringing in our ears " any complaints from the ship and you will be up the road" - (sacked)

·
Banned
38 Posts
For the Blue Flue men who might be interested there is a full size, original Blue Funnel Houseflag up for grabs on E Bay at the moment (21st June).

Peter4447

·
Registered
252 Posts
I sailed on "HECTOR" as junior engineer from 3-1-66 to 12-11-66 on the Australian service.
I then joined the "ULYSSES" on 4-1-67 and sailed with her from Glasgow to Houston where she took up service on the Blue Sea Line service. I remained with her until signing off in New York on 18-12-67.
Although totally different, these were two magnificent steam turbine vessels.
I particularly remember we would crack open "the extra six" nozzles on the homeward run on "HECTOR" when in the Red Sea in order to be certain not to miss the next northbound convoy through the Suez canal.
Would be good to hear from any others who were on those vessels at that time.
hi Chris
just missed you Hector 21/12/66 - 24/4/67 SS Howie Master, Brian Hood mate, Arthur Longbottom 2nd mate, John Pepper 3rd mate
cheers
Alistair

·
Registered
487 Posts
Capt Bax,
Having viewed your profile did you ever sail with Capt John Wright (Lamnalco in the 70s through 90s) but also Straits Steamship (Singapore) in the 50s & 60s.
John lived in Southport until his death about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
blue funnel bert

Have plenty of Blue Funnel pictures
Let me have an e-address.

edited your Email out Bert , better to have people send you a PM instead , saves you from getting bombarded by junk Email , Davie Tait Moderator

·
KIWI
473 Posts
Seem to remember an armed merchantman being in Wellington during the early part of WW2.Would that be correct? Kiwi

·
Registered
2 Posts
bob parsons

I sailed on six Blue Funnel ships between 1968 and 1972, Hector, Ixion, Perseus, Pyrrhus, Atreus, and the Priam. I also have quite a few photos of Blue funnel vessels on my website. All the Best, Tony Jones R867015.
did you sail with my dad bob parsons he was on the priam as bosun . please leave a message in the forum thanks, ex blue flu.

·
Banned
181 Posts
William,

So very sorry to here of your loss. I knew you father well when he was Lampy & Bosun in the late 50s. A well respected Bosun of the old school alongside Paddy Proctor (Peleus) and Joe Kavanagh (Ixion)
Last spoke to your father in 67 when he was on 'Priam' and I was in Liverpool up for Masters (FG). You will find plenty of his old shipmates on this site.

Bill Davies

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Bob Parsons

did you sail with my dad bob parsons he was on the priam as bosun . please leave a message in the forum thanks, ex blue flu.

Hello William,
I replied to your "Hello" thread when you asked if anyone knew your father but I never got a reply. If you are new to this site it can be a little confusing at first as there are a lot of Blue Funnel threads on the go at the same time.
I sometimes can't remember where my last post went to.

I have just had a look at your profile, which I didn't do when you made your first post, and see that your Dad passed away recently. Please accept my condolences to you and your family. He must have been a good age.

I sailed with Bob when he was Lampy on the "Astyanax" in 1954/55 Big Jack Cleary was the Bosun. I was a first trip E.D.H and he taught us young ones a lot. He was a first rate seaman and the thing that I remember him for most was that he was as strong as an ox.

Regards..............Alec.

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
This is a somewhat time-worn photograph of Captain Radar Robb. I believe the picture was taken by Ian Jackson, 3rd mate of the SAMCREE, which ship was Radar's first command. I do not know why he is not in uniform; perhaps it was taken when ashore someplace.
Radar was a captain who liked a bit of fun from time to time. I was a last trip middy in that ship and as the voyage took place in late 1946 there was a lot of disorder and disruption occurring in Port Swettenham and Singapore resulting in much inactivity. Radar was a great organiser of what I can only describe as fun and games!
He was later in one of the A Class ships and during my two years piloting in Aden I met him twice. On the first occasion I was piloting his ship out of the harbour and he dared me to put her on full ahead as we left the berth.
At that time-early 1955-we still towed a whaler out for disembarkation, and even at half speed, it would be "planing" alongside the ship. I think Radar wanted to see it flying! I declined the dare because it would have been me who was called to the Harbour Master's office for the loss of our last whaler and a breach of Aden Harbour regulations.
The next and last time I saw him he was laid-up, in the same ship, with back trouble. A great character to whom I am indebted for his having taken the trouble to notice that I was a time expired middy. So, without me knowing what had been arranged, I was told one morning to pack my gear and join the STENTOR in order to return to U.K. to go for 2nd mates.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Blue Funnel & Glen Line captains.

A fine photograph of Captain W.H.Simmonds OBE (does anyone know how he came to have this award?) and wife, with Buckingham Palace in the back-ground.
The picture was sent to me last year by his son, who has since died.
I did six voyages with him in the GLENROY and at the end of voy.23, in March 1953, he retired from going deep-sea and so did I but with other ambitions in mind.
I can remember his son, Howard, seeing his father off on yet another voyage, scampering around the decks of the GLENROY when he was a young lad.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 74 Posts