Ships Nostalgia banner

41 - 60 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Melampus

Would anyone within SN. have a good colour photograph of Melampus, this being the ship which was stuck in Suez in 1967. I have tried several avenues for a good print but they seem few and far between and of poor quality.
I would be more than greatful if some one could provide me with one, or direct me to a provider / seller.
Regards to all, Gra. (Thumb)

·
Registered
269 Posts
Would anyone within SN. have a good colour photograph of Melampus, this being the ship which was stuck in Suez in 1967. I have tried several avenues for a good print but they seem few and far between and of poor quality.
I would be more than greatful if some one could provide me with one, or direct me to a provider / seller.
Regards to all, Gra. (Thumb)
Can't do "Melampus", but I've got one of "Machaon" - paint the name out and you won't know the difference!

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
did you sail with my dad bob parsons he was on the priam as bosun . please leave a message in the forum thanks, ex blue flu.
I sailed with your Dad on a few BlueysThe first one was the Myrmidon, laid up in the River Fal, and we were taken down to join her in a bus from Birkenhead, The bosun, lampy and carpenter had gone ahead a few days earlier. I was quite apprehensive because some of the older ABs had discussed the bosun on the way down, describing him as a brutal bosun of the old school, but on meeting him I found him to be a great bloke, and learned a hell of a lot from him.
Next time I sailed with him was on the Melampus which we joined in the Caledon shipyard in Dundee. that would be in about 1964.
Bob was a fine seaman and a nice guy. We used to poke fun at his Newfoundland accent, and he took it all in good part.
I last heard he was living in Moreton on the Wirral about twenty years ago, but I never met him since I came ashore in 1968.
I am sorry to learn of his death, he was a fine man and probably the best seaman I ever sailed with.
Regards,
Pat

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
This is a somewhat time-worn photograph of Captain Radar Robb. I believe the picture was taken by Ian Jackson, 3rd mate of the SAMCREE, which ship was Radar's first command. I do not know why he is not in uniform; perhaps it was taken when ashore someplace.
Radar was a captain who liked a bit of fun from time to time. I was a last trip middy in that ship and as the voyage took place in late 1946 there was a lot of disorder and disruption occurring in Port Swettenham and Singapore resulting in much inactivity. Radar was a great organiser of what I can only describe as fun and games!
He was later in one of the A Class ships and during my two years piloting in Aden I met him twice. On the first occasion I was piloting his ship out of the harbour and he dared me to put her on full ahead as we left the berth.
At that time-early 1955-we still towed a whaler out for disembarkation, and even at half speed, it would be "planing" alongside the ship. I think Radar wanted to see it flying! I declined the dare because it would have been me who was called to the Harbour Master's office for the loss of our last whaler and a breach of Aden Harbour regulations.
The next and last time I saw him he was laid-up, in the same ship, with back trouble. A great character to whom I am indebted for his having taken the trouble to notice that I was a time expired middy. So, without me knowing what had been arranged, I was told one morning to pack my gear and join the STENTOR in order to return to U.K. to go for 2nd mates.
I sailed with Captain Robb, on my first trip as deck boy, in 1958 on the Achilles. I remember him as a bit of a joker who would come into the wheelhouse and order hard a starboard, just so he could watch the swing on the radar. We crossed the Indian Ocean in a series of circles.
Regards,
Pat

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
The Hector was my first ship, I joined her in Hull on December 19th 1968. She had just arrived from Australia for the last time, as she would be running to the Far East from then on. We discharged meat at Hull, Bremen, and K.G.V dock London, before we sailed to Glasgow, where we spent about a month, fitting her with deep tanks, for latex. I paid off in Birkenhead on February 9th 1969. I did do a trip Far East on her, as J.O.S. from June 29th to October 2nd 1970, she was on the Bangkok run, but that’s another story. All the best, Tony Jones, R867015.

You must know Joe Bates {Bosun}then. Joe had a dislike of Junior Ordinary Seamen -but was a very good bosun to his men. I remember Joe giving off the the Mate who had challenged him about "knocking " the men off early. Joe offered the "keys" to the Mate who declined. Joe ran "the crowd" on the Hector and no one else. He was on the Hector for 19 years I think. I was with him on the first trip on the Eastern run - he always bragged about his "aussie men" being far superier to "you f------ eastern men". He loved to brag about the stamina of his aussie men - how they would party all night on the aussie coast and still be up for stations in the morning. No "eastern man" could hold a candle to this type of individual.

I'm almost certain that it was on his first trip out East on the Hector (I was AB) he fell to the charms of the jacob ladder girls in Bangkok. He did not arise until well after midday - by which time the Mate had knocked us all off except for the deck watch.

A damn fine bosun though.

BW Sean

·
Registered
538 Posts
undefinedundefinedundefined

I have a good selection of Blue Funnel and Straits Steamship also Clan Line Photographs if any one is interested and can scan any or most of what may be required.
I also write for the website www.merchantnavyofficers.com and am the admin'or for Blue Funnel, Straits Steamship and Clan Line.

I am also a member of The Blue Funnel Association. Anyone needing info on the Association please contact me by E mail.
Would very much appreciate receiving info on Blue Funnel Association regards Lionel Tebbutt

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hector Arrival Date in Sydney

Hi everybody, I've been looking on the net for shipping arrivals and somehow I wound up on this fascinating forum. A friend of mine migrated to Australia on the SS Hector when she was very young. She has a vivid memory of going under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and she would love to have the actual date the ship docked in Sydney. We have managed to find out that the Hector left Liverpool on 17/11/1956 and it is listed in the Sydney Morning Herald shipping lists as being in port on 18/19 Jan,1957. She would be very happy if someone who served on her could provide the docking date in Sydney and of course any other snippets about the voyage would be delightful.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Captain Bax,
Could you possibly help me My Maternal Grandfather was on the S.S.Sagamore.Bound for Liverpool from Boston Mass,Having sailed 27th February 1917.On the 3rd,March 1917 the ship was torpedoed by U-49,150 Miles due west from Fastnet Rock.The Sagamore sank within 30 minutes,only three lifeboats being launched.During a gale that night the lifeboats were all separated,two never to be seen again.The remaining lifeboat had 17 suvivors aboard,including my Grandfather 3rd Engineer Thomas Edward Lunt.On the 12th of March 1917 the Blue Funnel Ship S.S.Deucalion bound for Capetown came across the lifeboat,many many hundreds of miles south,of the original sinking position of the Sagamore.There were only 7 survivors in the lifeboat including my grandad.On arrival at Capetown.5 of the survivors had to have their feet amputated due to Frostbite and Gangrene,but not my grandfather.
He was shipped home fairly quickly according to my Mother and by 1920 had his legs amputated an inch or two below the knees.Having had toes,and flesh removed over a number of years.It has taken me just on 6 years to find the information so far.I was wandering if it would be possible to obtain a photo of the S.S.Deucalion involved in the rescue.I was informed that she too was sunk later that year,but am sure that is incorrect.I was also hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction to obtain a copy of the Log entries over the rescue period.My Paternal Granfather was Captain on the Alexander Towing Co.Tug "Bramley Moore" prior to,during and after the war retiring at 76 August. 1945 and the next 10 years before he died going down to the Mersey to watch his past.I was on the "Bramley Morre" numerous occasions and he always told me "Lad if you go to sea Blue Flu will Make you earn your Position and theirs are the best ships built"With having served my apprenticeship as an Engineer at Babcock and Wilcox,were you were encouraged to and made to study.By the time one completed ones Apprenticship a high percentage had their Ordinary and Higher National Engineering Certificates.Which was a requirement to join the Blue Funnel Line.I didn't take his advice and went with the N.Z.S.Co.I apologise for my ramblings and hope you may be able to help as My Children,Grandchildren and fortunately two great grandchildren who aren't old enough to hassle me for getting my family genealogy together as are the older ones.Best Regards Ken Berry

·
Banned
48 Posts
Ken, thank you for your interesting post and whilst Captain Bax is not around himself to respond, there may well be others who can help you, so hopefully you will get some good replies.
(Thumb)
Mark

·
Registered
3,798 Posts
Deucalion built Scotts Greenock 1900 survived WW1 and was sold to Italian Ditta L Pittaluga Vapori in 1930 and broken up Genoa 1933.
DEUCALION (2nd vessel in fleet to carry name) (1900 - 1930) Idomeneus class steel steamship.

O.N. 113433. 7,030g. 4,461n. 442.5 x 52.8 x 32.1 feet.
T.3-cyl. (29", 50" & 82" x 60") engine (No. 407), made by the (shipbuilder’s) Greenock Foundry Company, Greenock. 4,000 IHP. 13 kts.

3.8.1898: Ordered from Scott & Company, Greenock (Yard No. 363) for the Ocean Steamship Company.

12.10.1900: Launched.

29.11.1900: Completed at a cost of £86,581.

6.6.1902: Owners restyled as the Ocean Steamship Company Ltd.

1930: Sold to Ditta L. Pittaluga Vapori, Italy, and renamed AQUITANIA.

1933: Sold to Italian shipbreakers, for demolition at Genoa.

·
Registered
21 Posts
S.S.Deucalion photos & Copies of log during rescue.

(Thumb) (Thumb) (Thumb)
Thanks Mark Tonga,Super Moderator for letting me know Capt.Bax wouldn't be available.Have had to replies witha few notes I didn't know and confiming thet the Deucalion was not sunk.So maybe thereis still a chance of getting copies of that day in 1917.Thanks to R651400,Senior Member in France and BillH Senior Member In Britain.Your information is more info for the Childrenin his Genealogy.Onto the Newspaper Cutting from Capetown S.A.now.Best Regards Ken B.

·
Registered
18 Posts
capt bax

hi glad to have u here, capt, do u remember capt punchard, of the blue funnels, only allowed 2 bottles of beer a day, and u had to take yr emptys back, so u could not save them, looking forward to yr pics, i am a member of the blue flue ass, keep safe, frank hughes

·
Banned
181 Posts
hi glad to have u here, capt, do u remember capt punchard, of the blue funnels, only allowed 2 bottles of beer a day, and u had to take yr emptys back, so u could not save them, looking forward to yr pics, i am a member of the blue flue ass, keep safe, frank hughes
Good morning Frank,

Capt Punchard....Peggy's nightmare. White gloves for inspection. A fine Master all the same.

Brgds

Bill

·
Registered
14,250 Posts
Dear God Newfy Bob and Jack Cleary in the same ship, no dissenting vioces in that one.
It could be worse, Bob Parsons was OK.
I sailed in one with Jack Cleary as bosun,
Gordon Ford as carpenter and Blondie Lorraine was lampy.
The PO's mess room was a sea of mutual loathing.
Regards,
Pat

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Hi Captain Bax,
Could you possibly help me My Maternal Grandfather was on the S.S.Sagamore.Bound for Liverpool from Boston Mass,Having sailed 27th February 1917.On the 3rd,March 1917 the ship was torpedoed by U-49,150 Miles due west from Fastnet Rock.The Sagamore sank within 30 minutes,only three lifeboats being launched.During a gale that night the lifeboats were all separated,two never to be seen again.The remaining lifeboat had 17 suvivors aboard,including my Grandfather 3rd Engineer Thomas Edward Lunt.On the 12th of March 1917 the Blue Funnel Ship S.S.Deucalion bound for Capetown came across the lifeboat,many many hundreds of miles south,of the original sinking position of the Sagamore.There were only 7 survivors in the lifeboat including my grandad.On arrival at Capetown.5 of the survivors had to have their feet amputated due to Frostbite and Gangrene,but not my grandfather.
He was shipped home fairly quickly according to my Mother and by 1920 had his legs amputated an inch or two below the knees.Having had toes,and flesh removed over a number of years.It has taken me just on 6 years to find the information so far.I was wandering if it would be possible to obtain a photo of the S.S.Deucalion involved in the rescue.I was informed that she too was sunk later that year,but am sure that is incorrect.I was also hoping you might be able to point me in the right direction to obtain a copy of the Log entries over the rescue period.My Paternal Granfather was Captain on the Alexander Towing Co.Tug "Bramley Moore" prior to,during and after the war retiring at 76 August. 1945 and the next 10 years before he died going down to the Mersey to watch his past.I was on the "Bramley Morre" numerous occasions and he always told me "Lad if you go to sea Blue Flu will Make you earn your Position and theirs are the best ships built"With having served my apprenticeship as an Engineer at Babcock and Wilcox,were you were encouraged to and made to study.By the time one completed ones Apprenticship a high percentage had their Ordinary and Higher National Engineering Certificates.Which was a requirement to join the Blue Funnel Line.I didn't take his advice and went with the N.Z.S.Co.I apologise for my ramblings and hope you may be able to help as My Children,Grandchildren and fortunately two great grandchildren who aren't old enough to hassle me for getting my family genealogy together as are the older ones.Best Regards Ken Berry
Ken, This thumbnail is the best I can come up with for the 1900 built s.s. Deucalion. The ship that rescued your Grand Father all of those years ago.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 74 Posts