Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 74 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
morf49 - TSS Hector

Hi everybody, I've been looking on the net for shipping arrivals and somehow I wound up on this fascinating forum. A friend of mine migrated to Australia on the SS Hector when she was very young. She has a vivid memory of going under the Sydney Harbour Bridge and she would love to have the actual date the ship docked in Sydney. We have managed to find out that the Hector left Liverpool on 17/11/1956 and it is listed in the Sydney Morning Herald shipping lists as being in port on 18/19 Jan,1957. She would be very happy if someone who served on her could provide the docking date in Sydney and of course any other snippets about the voyage would be delightful.

morf49 :
Appreciate this is an old thread but thought I would post an image of what I believe to be the 'HECTOR' passing under the Sydney Bridge.

Angus

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mutual Loathing

It could be worse, Bob Parsons was OK.
I sailed in one with Jack Cleary as bosun,
Gordon Ford as carpenter and Blondie Lorraine was lampy.
The PO's mess room was a sea of mutual loathing.
Regards,
Pat
Demodocus PO's mess was bad. Anything I said bosun Dan Corlet contradicted. It led to a blazing row one day with Pete Elder smirking in the background. Trevor Roberts was lamptrimmer and he often had his meals barechested knowing it would put the BoBo off his food. As he had left half his a stomach in a PoW camp, he regularly missed his meals. He gave me no help with the tanks or cargo gear or battening down so I threw all the guys onto the deck and did all my own work aloft sending the tumblers down so I could measure the wear down on deck (there was none, she was only 5 years old) then went up again to put them back. It restricted him to one hatch a day which made me popular, more field days for the crowd and the Mate couldn't stand him so no heat from there. Four derricks a day was the norm in the rest of the fleet. Sorry to all you folks who don't understand a word of the above, it's scaley talk so just have a beer and a smoke.
On another subject why did all the parties happen in someone's room when the officers and ratings had very nice rec rooms.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Somewhere in SN is a colour picture of Achilles alongside Holts Wharf in Kowloon. It was used as the front of the 1959 callender. I cant find it, can anyone help a poor sailor. I am also looking for the famous Ajax 5 Liverpool 1 taken in Trincomalee said to be by Ted Milburn RO. \\\\\\\\\\regards Woof Woof

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Capt. H.C. Large

Does anybody remember Capt. Large of Blue Funnel, 1950-1960 vintage.
Pat Baker.
Hello Peter,

I did three Far East trips in 1953 on the "Bellerophon" with Capt. H.C. Large, (I think that the H was for Henry). A gentleman of the old school, Large by name and large by stature, he was well over six feet. I was deck boy at the time and remember well the daily inspections except Sundays (linen change day).

Regards,

Alec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Blast from the Past

b
The Super from Dundee was a chap called Dalglish ( Not Gillespie ) He was for some reason feared by all the engineer apprentices . Derek
Ian Dalglish ended up as the marine superintendent {engineering} I met Ian some years after leaving Blue Funnel to join Liverpool City Police when my nephew wanted to join the company as an engineer, and he asked me if I could vouch for him. Regards Sam Prowting

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi re protoclus

I sailed on the Hector 1971 home trade as a peggy, She was my second ship.
Liverpool to Belfast..I got hit in the leg by a hatch board and payed off in Belfast.Then off to the Autolycus one H/T and 3 Far East trips.
Bluey's I sailed on Clytoneus, Hector, Autolycus, Patroclus, Philocaties, Hector (maiden Voyage bulker) Ascanius,Atreus, Antilochus, Lycaon
ED's Egori, Dumurra, Fourah Bay,Forcadas, Dixcove
OCL. Tokyo Bay
Glen. Glenogle.
Good old days
Cheers
Kevin Radford R904927
Pilot
hi, i see from your post you sailed on the protroculas? i am just looking for ny old ship mates of my dads ANTHONY DOYLE went by the name of TONY? from birkenhead as ive been told he sailed that same ship. I know he travelled to singapore as he did say. do you remember him? regards

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did ten years with Blue Funnel my last ship being the coal burner Diomed great ship she broke down with engine problems a few times and we had to put into a few unscheduled ports for repair.Prior to Blue Funnel in 1944 I was on deep sea rescue tugs, that was quite hairy at times. Then came ashore to marry and joined Liverpool Police.Still longing to see a Bluey sailing up the Mersey instead of those floating boxes. Regards Sam Prowting.

·
Registered
333 Posts
It could be worse, Bob Parsons was OK.
I sailed in one with Jack Cleary as bosun,
Gordon Ford as carpenter and Blondie Lorraine was lampy.
The PO's mess room was a sea of mutual loathing.
Regards,
Pat
Blondie Lorraine........What ship did I sail with him? He was Prom Deck man on a 'P' boat.......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey there,

Wondering if anyone knows my grandad he was chief engineer with BF for years, Jack Waters. He sadly passed away this year so would be really nice to hear what he was like back then!

Regards
Amy

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello Peter,

I did three Far East trips in 1953 on the "Bellerophon" with Capt. H.C. Large, (I think that the H was for Henry). A gentleman of the old school, Large by name and large by stature, he was well over six feet. I was deck boy at the time and remember well the daily inspections except Sundays (linen change day).

Regards,

Alec.
I coasted with capt large summer 1959 diomed.. he had ason jack .do you know where he is.
john wood

·
Registered
3 Posts
I sailed on "HECTOR" as junior engineer from 3-1-66 to 12-11-66 on the Australian service.
I then joined the "ULYSSES" on 4-1-67 and sailed with her from Glasgow to Houston where she took up service on the Blue Sea Line service. I remained with her until signing off in New York on 18-12-67.
Although totally different, these were two magnificent steam turbine vessels.
I particularly remember we would crack open "the extra six" nozzles on the homeward run on "HECTOR" when in the Red Sea in order to be certain not to miss the next northbound convoy through the Suez canal.
Would be good to hear from any others who were on those vessels at that time.
Chris didn’t you come across CE Les Goldsmith in your time on Hector?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
....... and that excellent bosun Joe Bates. I believe Joe joined her on the slipway in Belfast and remained with her (save for coasting) until scrapping 22 years later.

BW

J:cool::cool:

61 - 74 of 74 Posts