Ships Nostalgia banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I'm just starting out and trying to find out what I can about my great grandfather Aloysius M J Halligan, born in Dublin in 1874 and doctor on the cargo ship SS Asphalion when he died off ship in 1928 off the coast of Japan.

He 'drowned while bathing' according to the deaths at sea record on the 3rd August 1928. The location is listed as Miike, a port near Nagasaki. He was listed as surgeon on the deaths record. We've always assumed he was on crew as ships doctor, but its never been clear how long or why (he was a family doctor in Dublin for most of his life apart from service in WW1, and was resident there in 1925 so its very mysterious why he would go to sea in his 50s).

I understand the first step will be to go to Kew to access crew lists for the Asphalion, but I understand these are very basic records. Can anyone suggest any other routes of enquiry? The last of his children died in 2013 and sadly I never thought to ask enough questions.

Thanks

·
Registered
306 Posts
Apart from the crew agreement, which is available at the National Archives and will show whether he was a crew member or passenger, you might want to view a report in the newspapers reporting his death. Might not contain a great deal more than you know already, but worth a look anyway - British Newspapers Online - The Belfast Witness 10 August 1928 printed a report. Your local library will be able to help, unless a member here can help further,

Dave W

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Apart from the crew agreement, which is available at the National Archives and will show whether he was a crew member or passenger, you might want to view a report in the newspapers reporting his death. Might not contain a great deal more than you know already, but worth a look anyway - British Newspapers Online - The Belfast Witness 10 August 1928 printed a report. Your local library will be able to help, unless a member here can help further,

Dave W
Thanks for taking the time Dave - looking at the article now and that's already progress! And what you suggest makes sense - had assumed he was crew but may well have been a passenger. All the best

1 - 4 of 4 Posts