Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to find out when the 74th (Dubln) Company of mounted troops travelled to South Africa and aboard which ships, The two most likely are the Pindari and Mahratta. The troops sailed some time after 15th February 1900 and arrived in South Africa on 3rd May 1900.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hello and welcome,
The vessel in question may be the ss CANADA official number 106806. She sailed from Southampton 11/04/1900
with the following on board.
67th Company (Middlesex) 74th Company (Dublin Ireland) 77th company (Manchester) together with other rmiscellaneous units, by order of the Imperial Yeomanry Force.
regards
Roger

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello and welcome,
The vessel in question may be the ss CANADA official number 106806. She sailed from Southampton 11/04/1900
with the following on board.
67th Company (Middlesex) 74th Company (Dublin Ireland) 77th company (Manchester) together with other rmiscellaneous units, by order of the Imperial Yeomanry Force.
regards
Roger
Hi Roger

You are a star! I don't know where you found this but it is spot on. My grandfather was a trooper (cavalry) with the 74th (Dublin) Company and had signed for service in the Boer War.

I am currently writing up his life story and this will be an interesting addition. Incidentally, he returned from South Africa, docking on 9th July or possibly 15th July, probably at Southampton.

I wondered if your information extended as far as covering the return of troops from the war.

With my very best wishes and grateful thanks

Frank Seville

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Hi Roger

You are a star! I don't know where you found this but it is spot on. My grandfather was a trooper (cavalry) with the 74th (Dublin) Company and had signed for service in the Boer War.

I am currently writing up his life story and this will be an interesting addition. Incidentally, he returned from South Africa, docking on 9th July or possibly 15th July, probably at Southampton.

I wondered if your information extended as far as covering the return of troops from the war.

Frank Seville
Hi Roger

Frank Seville

Hi Roger

Frank Seville
Hello Frank,
You should double check with the logbook and crew agreement of CANADA. It doubtful that it will contain details of the units carried but should tell you the date and time of departure and arrival.
Available from the National Archive at Kew. Official Nos: 106754, 106765, 106766, 106770, 106782, 106788, 106791, 106792, 106794,... | The National Archives
You would need to visit but I understand TNA is closed due to Covid 19 restrictions
RE arrivals at Southampton. You do not give a year but I suspect 1902.
It is not clear which vessel they arrived on but the main body of the74th company appear to have arrived on the 30th August 1902. Other small contingents, injured etc arrived before that date.
The only vessel I can find arriving 30/08/1902 is NORMAN O/N 104042 but I have my doubts she was carrying troops.
The main body appears to have transferred to barracks in Aldershot. Some then went to London for Coronation celebrations. The main body sailed to Dublin where a parade was held together with reception in the Four Courts Hotel.
I would contact Southampton Archive to see if they hold any information on vessels arriving with troops from South Africa around 30/08/1902 and 09/ 07/1902
Are you in a position to give us your granddads name and date of birth and any details, regimental number etc?

regards
Roger

1 - 4 of 4 Posts