Ships Nostalgia banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Booker website gone awol

I see this thread is not what you'd call active but I'll direct you to the link http://www.bookerline.com which has a lot of information about the company, crew and ships.
I sailed as 2nd r/o on the Venture (GHPB) in the late 60's. There are some nice pictures of the radio room in the site's gallery posted by Don McRae R/O. I remember having a few QSOs with Al on the Vanguard, mainly ship's gossip.
The Bookerline.com website disappeared a year or so ago. Mores the pity I didn't grab some of Don Macrea's photos when they were available.

·
Registered
796 Posts
A lot of the commercial information quite correct,but a little known fact was Bookers purchased the copyright of all Ian Flemings books on James Bond for about £100,000 early sixties if my memory is correct a nice little earner that turned out to be.KYPROS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thomas Wynne Jones

My Dad Thomas Wynne Jones worked for Booker Line in the 50s and 60s and captained The Booker Venture.
I live on Booker Avenue and went to Booker Avenue school
In 65 or 66 Dad took the family to Guyana , (Then British Guyana) on a 6 week round trip.
A voyage of many memories.
I have photos that I will post.

Regards

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on the Crusade during that hurricane too. (Wife of the electrical officer). The report of the incident and our fortunate survival made the 9 0 clock news which is where my parents heard about it!! Unfortunately the reoprt in the Liverpool Echo got all the facts wrong. I seem to remember it was 60' waves and 130 mile an hour winds?? Anyone else know?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi Joneslm1,
I was sparky that trip, the daughter of the purser Tommy Weston was onboard as well, remember we spent 6 weeks in Bermuda before we carried on to Porto Cabello in Venezuela.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Trying to find out a little more about Brian Lloyd who disappeared from his ship the Booker Vanguard on 16th December 1974 and declared “missing at sea believed killed or drowned”.
What we do know is that Brian Lloyd was trained aboard HMS Conway between the years 1954-55. Any information to help complete HMS Conway records would be appreciated.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts