Registered
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The best dogs ever ......discuss

Tired and emotional in Singapore

·
Spongebob
9,392 Posts
A beautiful breed , very intelligent but needing tons of space and exercise and a likewise owner to keep up with it.

Bob

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
St. Bernards....lovely animals, I still grieve for my old Pal Mozart.
Do have a problem with dog breeders though, I think they have a lot to answer for.
My present dogs are a Scottish Terrier and a Pavement Special.

Upbeat but Failing in Bathurst

·
Registered
352 Posts
Someone once told me that border collies were best ever but I gotta tell ya - they don't barbeque too well. Bloody tough. They come up reasonably well stewed with leeks & carrots.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Someone once told me that border collies were best ever but I gotta tell ya - they don't barbeque too well. Bloody tough. They come up reasonably well stewed with leeks & carrots.
I hope nobody's reading that comment to their collie! You might get a visit from one!(Jester)
Having been brought up on a croft where there always a border collie in residence as well I have to agree with SM. Though sometimes they were too clever!

·
Registered
710 Posts
CURLY COATED RETRIEVERS....?

It's not a very popular breed.... and I don't know why as they've got the same beautiful nature as their cousins, the Golden Retriever?

Have a Google, SM.

I've got one wrapped around my legs at the moment, and I wouldn't trade him in for all the tea in China!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
One of the saddest days in my life was when I had to say goodbye to my trusted friend of nearly 15 years, my Border Collie.
Having been a dog owner for as long as I remember she was the best dog we had. She was a treat to train and took active pleasure in learning new things. As was mentioned they require lots of exercise and stimulation to make them good pets.
Their herding instincts are forever there and it would mean they wanted to herd everything from people to a Mack truck. My long pants were all torn at the cuff with the dog trying to change my direction to go home when she wanted to carry on walking.
The only time she was required to be on a leash was when visiting the Vets office and she became a quivering mass as her annual shots were next.
When it was time as she was an old lady the vet came to our home and it was peaceful. He even helped me to take her out to the grave I had already dug in our back yard. I still get a little teary when I think that day but we were at fault as we had kept her too long for our benefit and not thinking of the distress the dog was in.
THAT WAS MY LAST DOG

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Always liked this for some reason

Attachments

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I hope nobody's reading that comment to their collie! You might get a visit from one!(Jester)
Having been brought up on a croft where there always a border collie in residence as well I have to agree with SM. Though sometimes they were too clever!
Your not joking, I’m sure Dileas , my 80’s dog, could pick locks- never really managed to properly stop her doing a runner. Kept me super fit though trying to tire her out to keep her from concentrating on her next escape plan

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Had a Collie with one brown eye and one blue eye.we called her Twix.
She had one failing - she did not like other dogs. Good guard dog, if I came home from the pub late she would not let me in. It was funny watching the kids playing in the park getting rounded up without realising it!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Being the humble dogsbody to two border collies I can categorically state that you do not train a collie, they train you!

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
Your not joking, I’m sure Dileas , my 80’s dog, could pick locks- never really managed to properly stop her doing a runner. Kept me super fit though trying to tire her out to keep her from concentrating on her next escape plan
Satanic

I note reference to her next escape plan.

When my children were young I bought a border collie of about 9 months old. She was a beautiful kind animal but very demanding in terms of exercise. We lived in the countryside and I could walk or run her every day. She followed or rather led the children to their school without a lead. Even partaking in the school races in a disruptive manner I was obliged to keep her under retention at home during school hours.

After two years or so we made the very reluctant decision to sell her to a farmer in Wrexham (35 miles away) He had a 200 + acre farm together with hill farming interests and a number of border collies. We were pleased with the arrangement although we were burdened to allow the girls a new pony in compensation for the loss.

Two days after we sold Smeg I called the farmer to inquire of her well being. She had settled in well and was as eager to learn new tricks as well as specific training. The farmer was well pleased and all was promising.

Can you imagine our total shock and amazement some 3 week or so later when Smeg appeared back at our home. I was away at the time and my then wife called me to get the farmers number so that she could speak to him. He was aware that Smeg had not shown that morning but it was not unusual as she had been known to drift off for a few hours.

He came to pick her up and once more she jumped into the back of his LR. We discussed the situation and he wrote to the local regional newspaper where a small entry was printed.

Some weeks went by until once again to our total disbelief Smeg returned "home" - this time sadly distressed. I called the farmer who informed me that she had been "missing" for two days. We fed her and took to her to the Vet for a check over. After explaining the cir***stances he decided to mildy sedate her and keep her in for observation. The farmer came late PM and upon Vet's advice she was discharged back into his care.

Smeg continued to present "roaming" difficulties on the farm. She would do her own thing when not otherwise occupied. A few months later we learned that the farmer had sold her on to a farmer in South Wales.

She was wonderful dog and provided us with such memories and indeed heartache.

Yes, a wonderful breed and a joy to own in the correct settings/cir***stances.

BW

J(Gleam)(Gleam)

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
We live in a small village in a farming community. I was on leave in the school holidays and was pottering about in the garden when my then 12 year old son and his mates brought this little black and white bundle of fur into the house. They told me they found her in an old wrecked car in the lane. She was beautiful. We fed her and the lads fussed over her while I tried to find out who owned her. No luck, so I called the dog refuge at North Cave. We took her in to the refuge and the vet said she had been abused and not fed. They said if nobody claimed her they would find her a home. My lad said can we keep her, and without consulting with management we did. Management complained at first but grew to love her as we did. We called her Chloe and we had her until she was 19 years old, all 4 of my children loved her but none more than me. If I ever raised my voice to her she would bury one of my possessions in the same place in the garden. I was blaming my missus for lost keys,pens, watch etc until I caught her at it. She was almost human and was the best slip fielder you have ever seen. She started getting weak and slow at 16 years old so we got a Chocolate Labrador puppy and this gave her a new lease of life and she made it to 19 when she just went to sleep. My kids and wife took a very long time to get over her loss. The boy who found her is now 40 and he still tells his own kids about her. It is his boys birthday on the 7th of February and they are collecting a small black and white Border Collie from Tenby on the 11th of February without little one knowing about it. Here we go again.

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
I live in a zoo!

1x Minichature Pinscher, "Rogers Mindy Belle", Coco to all, mother of SIX offspring. Born 2009.
I kept:
Mommy, daughter of coco.Born 2013.(The runt.)
Penny, daughter of Coco. Only one with a tail as she was born with it broken. It looks like a scorpion.
No.3 (Damiana), daughter of Coco.
Perlita (Negra), daughter of Coco. Has very faint teardrops over the eyes.
Stemi, male, a gift, almost a Min Pin but more like a Manchester Terrier.Year, about 2013.
Pipistrello, male, rescue dog, miniature Fox Terrier, 2006. Cannot live with anyone. Stemi exposed his trachea and that was the end of living with the Min Pins.
Panfila, female, "Beverly Hills" Chihuahua. 2016. Rescue dog. Recovered with distemper.
Margaro, rescue dog, "miniature" labarador. 2015. The most trained! He will "die" if you shoot him.
Poppytonga, Australian Sheepdog, 2006.

So, ten dogs.

We also have three turtles, five cats, including "Babylushka" who is blind and deaf and lives exclusively in my bedroom (four are Rescue).

Nine guinea pigs.

Any dog is the "best dog". They just want food, water and love!

Rgds.
Dave

·
Registered
710 Posts
We live in a small village in a farming community. I was on leave in the school holidays and was pottering about in the garden when my then 12 year old son and his mates brought this little black and white bundle of fur into the house. They told me they found her in an old wrecked car in the lane. She was beautiful. We fed her and the lads fussed over her while I tried to find out who owned her. No luck, so I called the dog refuge at North Cave. We took her in to the refuge and the vet said she had been abused and not fed. They said if nobody claimed her they would find her a home. My lad said can we keep her, and without consulting with management we did. Management complained at first but grew to love her as we did. We called her Chloe and we had her until she was 19 years old, all 4 of my children loved her but none more than me. If I ever raised my voice to her she would bury one of my possessions in the same place in the garden. I was blaming my missus for lost keys,pens, watch etc until I caught her at it. She was almost human and was the best slip fielder you have ever seen. She started getting weak and slow at 16 years old so we got a Chocolate Labrador puppy and this gave her a new lease of life and she made it to 19 when she just went to sleep. My kids and wife took a very long time to get over her loss. The boy who found her is now 40 and he still tells his own kids about her. It is his boys birthday on the 7th of February and they are collecting a small black and white Border Collie from Tenby on the 11th of February without little one knowing about it. Here we go again.
Lovely story, Winmar. You brought a tear to my eye.

And good luck to you all with your next bundle of black and white fur. I'm sure that he/she will be equally loved.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Our Border Collie arrived on Mothers' Day about 30 odd years ago. I was in our front yard with my parents and the in laws a bit before the traditional Mothers' Day dinner at our place.

-The YMs comes rushing out to say that she had 'found a d-o-g' ('dog' being spelt out of course). Daughter about six immediately screams 'DOG' and that was that.

We had her for about 16 years until she suddenly became lame in her back legs one day. A wonderful kind, friendly and patient dog - we could never have asked for better although when young she did like to grab the clothes on the clothes line.

The Vet came to our house and she died in my arms. I pray that someone will do the same for me one day.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Lovely story, Winmar. You brought a tear to my eye.

And good luck to you all with your next bundle of black and white fur. I'm sure that he/she will be equally loved.
Thanks Jim, I cried for a while after we lost her but don't tell anyone?(Thumb)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts