Ships Nostalgia banner

1 - 20 of 1311 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
An excellent choice and a person with a 'can-do' attitude.
I was watching LBC (Labour Broadcasting Corporation----the old BBC!) this a.m. and a bloke, (didn't catch his name), was explaining how Boris would be able to finance the massive intake of new coppers using money amassed by the last Chancellor.
"But that's old money!", said his inquisitor, "Where will he get the money to finance the new Police intake from?".

"Money-is-money", was the answer, "Why borrow when we've already got it?".

You could see the LBC bloke wasn't at all happy with this (obvious!) answer and kept trying to trip, (unsuccessfully!), Boris's bloke up!

I reckon we've a good bloke as PM and believe he'll do well. Phil

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
When I went to prep school my schoolmasters put me in a lowly class where I would not have to learn Greek as they knew it would horribly damage the mind of any but the mostest clever, something I was most certainly not. We did have to do Latin' though.

At 13 new schoolmasters appraised the damage that that Latin learning had done me and, again, removed me to a level more suited to my classically threatened intellect. There I enjoyed physics and chemistry and dissecting frogs with only the shortest of interludes in the sanatorium to recover from Latin.

What wise, wise teachers I had. Would that Mr Johnson had been so lucky.

·
Premium Member
10,425 Posts
I know some aircraft did put the frame before the propeller however if anyone should have aped it was the Romans a later and brasher civilization. You might just as well ask why the Greeks did not write cuneiform.

A little big headed throwing about of rote-learned Latin phrases is harmless enough if pretentious. Quoting Thucydides in his vernacular is, however, less important than learning how to manipulate with the concept of root -1, even if Great Grandfather could (and enough of contemporaries, too, such as a letter to the Times in Greek would warrant publication).

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No apology needed-----

Sorry Philthechill it has to go to Stormy.

Hawkey01
-----Hawkeye01! Genuinely I never meant this Thread as a 'Political statement' it was more an 'appreciation' of Boris Johnson but, as can be seen by the answers, there are people who don't agree with me. However, as the French would say, c'est la vie! Time for a(Pint) methinks! Phil

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
"Total disdain----

Eton, Oxford and total distain for Her Majesty. Spiffing start.
----for HM The Queen".

HOW did you arrive at that?

Boris Johnson bowed to HM when he went to see her about forming his Government as, I would imagine, he would do whenever he met her. He would have been brought-up that way.

To see 'disdain for HM' just bring-up any picture of Cherie Blair being presented to HM. ALL you could expect from her as she was more politically ardent than her husband!! Phil

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
I was watching LBC (Labour Broadcasting Corporation----the old BBC!) this a.m. and a bloke, (didn't catch his name), was explaining how Boris would be able to finance the massive intake of new coppers using money amassed by the last Chancellor.
"But that's old money!", said his inquisitor, "Where will he get the money to finance the new Police intake from?".

"Money-is-money", was the answer, "Why borrow when we've already got it?".

You could see the LBC bloke wasn't at all happy with this (obvious!) answer and kept trying to trip, (unsuccessfully!), Boris's bloke up!

I reckon we've a good bloke as PM and believe he'll do well. Phil
That extra money has been spent umpteen times already; offsetting the Brexit hit; supporting the NHS; dealing with the outcome of the 'green paper' on adult care (whenever that is realeased (being 'sat on for three years already)..

Still adding the police to the list won't make much difference.

Abbott is rightly mocked for not knowing the cost of police but at least she didn't claim it would come out of imaginary money down the back of the sofa at No.11.

BTW.I enjoyed the photo of HM meeting Johnson; her hand bag on show...

"I'd love to talk to you Boris but I'm just off down to the post office to collect my pension; do some early Christmas shopping; feed the corgis" (pick any one)

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cherie Blair---

"Cherie Blair being presented to HM"

As Prime Minister?
---is the wife of Tony Blair, ex-PM, so, as such, she WOULD be presented to HM The Queen and expected to acknowledge the status of The Queen.

She was a very poor 'advert' for Labour.

Incidentally, mentioning 'Labour', I think, as a Major Party, it will fade into obscurity as Britain is NOT the Country of days-gone-by when 'Industry' ruled-the-roost.

Gone are the days of "The Closed Shop" when you HAD to be in The Union, (any Union!), in order to get/hold a job.

When Union's were first augmented they did a brilliant job but they got all-powerful, (remember Red Robbo at British Leyland? He'd cause trouble in an empty house!!!), culminating in strikes, 'work-to-rule', specific-jobs-for-specific-trades and the despised 'closed-shop'.

The excellent Margaret Thatcher helped 'sort-them-out'.(Applause) Phil

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
Just one small correction Phil......

Thatcher was actually an enthusiastic supporter of trades unions.........

As long as they were in Poland.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
It was claimed yesterday that Thatcher and May were PMs created by the Tory party, unlike Labour. Oops, the fact that the Tories sacked both of them was not mentioned.

·
Registered
23,019 Posts
:" All political lives, unless they are cut off in midstream at a happy juncture, end in failure, because that is the nature of politics and of human affairs"

Knocker Powell

And when it comes to human affairs..........Alexander Johnson is the man to ask.

1 - 20 of 1311 Posts