Ships Nostalgia banner
41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Fred from NZ ! I've had good results from :-www.photoship.co.uk. Lets know how that one suits, by PM. At the moment I'm trying to get info. regarding the hull colours of BP Tanks, circa 1960 to 1970. I seem to remember :- Green decks, Grey hulls with Green boot-topping....any info. you can let me have appreciated.Regards Bruce Graham
Bruce,
Regarding hull & deck colours 1960 - 1970. From 1960 - 63 the hull was dark grey with red boot topping & the deck was a light maroon colour as seen here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18914

From 1963 - 1968, whilst the hull remained the same colour, the decks & many vertical sevices were painted in a light grey, a truly awful colour scheme in my opinion, see here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5213

I believe it was from 1968 that the decks became green & the hulls turned black but I could be wrong. Certainly, it was decided that the funnels would lose their stripes & become all red with a black top & the BP shield inserted on a white square.
Personally, I still feel that the colour scheme of the 50s & early 60s was the best.
Kind regards,
John.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Bruce,
Regarding hull & deck colours 1960 - 1970. From 1960 - 63 the hull was dark grey with red boot topping & the deck was a light maroon colour as seen here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=18914

From 1963 - 1968, whilst the hull remained the same colour, the decks & many vertical sevices were painted in a light grey, a truly awful colour scheme in my opinion, see here:
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=5213

I believe it was from 1968 that the decks became green & the hulls turned black but I could be wrong. Certainly, it was decided that the funnels would lose their stripes & become all red with a black top & the BP shield inserted on a white square.
Personally, I still feel that the colour scheme of the 50s & early 60s was the best.
Kind regards,
John.
Hi John,

Your Icon thumbnail looks very like a cropped version of the photo from the dust jacket of our book on BP Tankers.

I hope you found it useful and informative.

Bill

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
John
We dry docked British Argosy at Cammel Laird Birkenhead on 18th June 1968 where I believe she became the first in the fleet to be painted with black hull and green decks etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi John,

Your Icon thumbnail looks very like a cropped version of the photo from the dust jacket of our book on BP Tankers.

I hope you found it useful and informative.
Bill,
Guilty as charged!
I have only just realised who you are.
I think the book is a fantastic work of reference & must have involved an immense amout of work. Am I right in saying that you had no help from BP in producing this work? If so, then it is an even more remarkable achievement. I don't think a day goes by, if I am on this site & a query comes up about BP, that I don't pull your tome out for reference.
I do have Norman Middlemiss' 3 editions of The British Tankers to which I also refer &, with respect, have better quality photos (especially the 2nd & 3rd editions) but of course you have gone for quantity & there are very few illustrations of BP's vessels missing in your book.
I hope you don't mind my using the cropped BP funnel from your dust jacket as my "Avatar." It has now been copied by 3 or 4 other contributers, I notice.
As you have now joined the site, Bill, perhaps you can take over the task of counting stanchions (LOL) when it comes to vessel recognition, certainly over the next few weeks as I am in the throes of moving house down to the West Country. Your input to this site, certainly as far as BP tanker men are concerned will be invaluable.
Kind regards,
John.

·
Registered
3,879 Posts
Bill,
Guilty as charged!
I have only just realised who you are.
I think the book is a fantastic work of reference & must have involved an immense amout of work. Am I right in saying that you had no help from BP in producing this work? If so, then it is an even more remarkable achievement. I don't think a day goes by, if I am on this site & a query comes up about BP, that I don't pull your tome out for reference.
I do have Norman Middlemiss' 3 editions of The British Tankers to which I also refer &, with respect, have better quality photos (especially the 2nd & 3rd editions) but of course you have gone for quantity & there are very few illustrations of BP's vessels missing in your book.
I hope you don't mind my using the cropped BP funnel from your dust jacket as my "Avatar." It has now been copied by 3 or 4 other contributers, I notice.
As you have now joined the site, Bill, perhaps you can take over the task of counting stanchions (LOL) when it comes to vessel recognition, certainly over the next few weeks as I am in the throes of moving house down to the West Country. Your input to this site, certainly as far as BP tanker men are concerned will be invaluable.
Kind regards,
John.
John,

I have no problem with the avatar.

You are right about no assistance from BP but not for the reasons you would imagine.

The problem was Middlemiss. The then (since ousted) CEO believed all his promises and signed a contract for this "wonderful book" he was to produce and for that he was given unrestricted access to BP archive at Warwick University.

When we made an approach with our work the door was closed because of the contract with Middlemiss (Muddlemouse as I have also heard mentioned), despite our contact in BP acknowledging the true value of our work by comparison. His hands were tied unfortunately.

Anyway thats water under the bridge. Our publisher has since done a second print run such is the demand.

As far as photos are concerned, there were some we reluctantly had to remove as the publisher squeezed the size down to his limits.

The ship plans etc in the front section were either full or half page when we submitted and the section also had numerous colour photos all of which became B&W. It was originally 640 pages before all the ship images and text were shrunk.

Bill

·
Registered
608 Posts
old kiwi

browsing through the tanker photo gallery,came across a photo of the british kiwi.it was being fitted out at barry docks for the north sea.sailed on her march to nov. 1969. tyne dry dock.i.o.g ,gulf,red sea ports,india,o.z and n.z.had a bad galley fire ,lyttleton,n.z.put out by local fire brigade [oil burning stoves].went to dunedin for repairs.paid off bombay,where they changed over to asian crew. good ship,food and crew.

·
Registered
608 Posts
is it true.

years ago i remember the rumour going around was ,the lads on the british workman were painting in her name.some lads with a sense of humour changed her name on the a--e end to the british workhouse. fact or fiction.?

·
Registered
703 Posts
years ago i remember the rumour going around was ,the lads on the british workman were painting in her name.some lads with a sense of humour changed her name on the a--e end to the british workhouse. fact or fiction.?
My understanding was that this was true!

Dave

·
Registered
608 Posts
bagpipes

another request,any one out there remember a scottish engineer with b.p. who used to play the bagpipes.at the time i was on the british security [definately 1972].he used to play us in and out of port,standing on the monkey island. 2/e.this is no wind up.(Thumb)

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,607 Posts
Indeed. I think it was mentioned that at some point during the same voyage she was flying a Jolly Roger!

·
Malim Sahib Moderator
8,607 Posts
no just the red duster,like the rest of the fleet.
Trucker,
I meant that she was flying the Jolly Roger as an addition to everything else, apparently whilst sailing up the Channel. I believe Stuart Le Fevre was 2/O at the time. The story is do***ented elsewhere on the site.
Apparently her name was altered in Suez, discovered on arrival at the Isle of Pain (Grain) with the result that the entire Deck Crowd were Double DR'd.

·
Premium Member
3,912 Posts
Trucker
Small world because I must have sailed with you on the Kiwi. I joined her in the Tyne on March 14th 1969 and paid off at Aden on 27th July 1969 whilst she was loading for NZ. Captains were Waller and Willis, Chief Mate was S. Duncan who had his wife with him. I was a first trip uncert 3rd Mate.

·
Registered
608 Posts
good mate

Trucker
Small world because I must have sailed with you on the Kiwi. I joined her in the Tyne on March 14th 1969 and paid off at Aden on 27th July 1969 whilst she was loading for NZ. Captains were Waller and Willis, Chief Mate was S. Duncan who had his wife with him. I was a first trip uncert 3rd Mate.
yes we must have sailed together.remember chief mate[mr duncan].,and his wife.great mate,genuinely good sailing with him as mate.his wife used to keep him(Thumb) in line.used to look foreward to tank cleaning on the kiwi.?as after wards mate used to give good measure of tank cleaning rum.

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
another request,any one out there remember a scottish engineer with b.p. who used to play the bagpipes.at the time i was on the british security [definately 1972].he used to play us in and out of port,standing on the monkey island. 2/e.this is no wind up.(Thumb)
Bill Christie
(Cloud)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Half true. She was in Aarhus or Aalborg? and was having a quick paint job of the rust patches before returning to I.O.G. One clown attempted to paint over the starboard bow name and change it to 'Workhouse' as the myth has been passed on down the years.

Overpainting with a roller brush at the end of a long stick does not make for very tidy printing! The mate saw it anyway when he was checking the draft fore and aft before sailing and had it removed. Spoilsport.(Jester)

Art

·
Registered
21 Posts
British Beacon

There was another oil loading terminal called Khor al Amaya. Does anyone remember that? Just an offshore platform in Iraqi teritory I think. It was in the latest Gulf War reports. We loaded there on the Beacon in Jan 67 for Durban.
Sailed on Beacon july 1960 December 1960, and her sister ship British Signal 1961

Uskside

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Sailed on Beacon july 1960 December 1960, and her sister ship British Signal 1961

Uskside
The Signal is listed leaving drydock between Feb/March 1961, I have the relevant page, were you on her then? Incidentally she is on the list next to the Queen( ref our other thread regarding the Queen)

I sailed on the Light 31/3 to 10/11 she was the sister ship to the Beacon and Signal, built at Ansaldo yard

Graham

·
Registered
18 Posts
Giving my age away, but I was 2nd Engineer on the British Resolution about 1957 when we converted her to a big-game fishing boat in the Gulf of Mexico.
To elucidate: we had stopped to "do a unit" and the master and chief engineer who were keen angling buddies thought it would be fun to stream a meat hook over the stern when we started up again to see what they could catch. On completion of rhe engine work we "test ran" the engine without reference to logs or telegraphs. I was on the controls and a relay of junior engineers called out messages from the happy anglers......up 3 revs.....down 2....hold her there. This speed adjustment was to keep the bait floating at the right level.
Eureka they hooked a shark! The Deck Serang who I think had some previous experience got a lasso round the tail of the brute and it was winched on to the poop deck where all 2-3 metres of it, snapping jaws and all scared everybody witless until our Deck Serang proved himself again by dispatching it with a fire axe.
As we formally got under weigh again someone kindly brought the still beating heart from the shark and placed it in the palm of my hand......quite a sensation
Bill Hay

41 - 60 of 73 Posts