Ships Nostalgia banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,126 Posts
another request,any one out there remember a scottish engineer with b.p. who used to play the bagpipes.at the time i was on the british security [definately 1972].he used to play us in and out of port,standing on the monkey island. 2/e.this is no wind up.(Thumb)
Hiya Trucker
There's a thread called 'Black Watch Piper' where I asked the same question. Some info on there.
I was on the Kiwi coast with Bill Christie when he used to pipe us into various ports down there.
I was on the Security in 72 as well.
Dickyboy

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hiya Trucker
There's a thread called 'Black Watch Piper' where I asked the same question. Some info on there.
I was on the Kiwi coast with Bill Christie when he used to pipe us into various ports down there.
I was on the Security in 72 as well.
Dickyboy
In the late 50s in British Realm (I think) we had a Radio Operator who piped the ship in and out of harbour. I seem to remember his name as Strathearn.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Remember Bandar Mashur - perhaps you would rather not!?
my first port
blew the manifold joint taking forty thousand tons of bunkers for kargh half the ship black half white port midships life boat full to the brim with bunkers had to ask myself if this was a good occupation to start with this was on british power 1970

·
Registered
430 Posts
my first port
blew the manifold joint taking forty thousand tons of bunkers for kargh half the ship black half white port midships life boat full to the brim with bunkers had to ask myself if this was a good occupation to start with this was on british power 1970
Hi Chris

It was my first trip on British Power in 1970 as an E/C and I remember well being on watch with you and the 3rd eng Adrian Dodd. It was you that taught me the art of sootblowing, using a broom handle to hold the cam follower in place. Horrible job :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Chris

It was my first trip on British Power in 1970 as an E/C and I remember well being on watch with you and the 3rd eng Adrian Dodd. It was you that taught me the art of sootblowing, using a broom handle to hold the cam follower in place. Horrible job :)
hell Steve it was a pretty hot job on there mate 2 J cloths round your mouth26 soot blowers if i remember rightlythat used to try an rear out of the boiler at you
Most folks wouldnt do it today and i guess health and safety wouldnt be too happy iether

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi Chris,
Power: Babcock selectable ****heap double casing with diamond air sootblowers piece of piss!
Judge: Foster Wheeler ESD II single casing with clyde blowers. Klinger 1000 armour and a bucket over your head now that was a job!

I've only recently stumbled on this site and its certainly jogged the memory.Good to see the Pot mender is still going strong.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi Chris,
Power: Babcock selectable ****heap double casing with diamond air sootblowers piece of piss!
Judge: Foster Wheeler ESD II single casing with clyde blowers. Klinger 1000 armour and a bucket over your head now that was a job!

I've only recently stumbled on this site and its certainly jogged the memory.Good to see the Pot mender is still going strong.
Hi John How youi doin yes im still livin but retired now brit star had clydes all wiring burnt out with soot fires blow tubes with bucket over head collapse into crew allyway by gally after blowing top ones used to be the order of the day if i remember rightly Senior had to help J/E or the poor bugger would have died

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Not sure what ship, but allegedly a super asked one of the engineers if he had any suggestions that would improve the soot blowing arrangements on the ship, extended spindles into the firemans and AB's alley ways was the reply.

2G
(Thumb)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Chris,

Hi John,

Welcome to the site. Ex 1967 BP Engineering Cadet, Trust1970 onwards, I will send you a shipsnostalgia email.

Graham Wallace ( 1955 EA)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure what ship, but allegedly a super asked one of the engineers if he had any suggestions that would improve the soot blowing arrangements on the ship, extended spindles into the firemans and AB's alley ways was the reply.

2G
(Thumb)
well it certainly appears as though we all loved soot blowing . This thread sure brings back a lot of memories, the older ships with the FD fans in the top of the boiler room didnt really blow fresh air into the boilers they only re circulated smoke haha

·
Registered
45 Posts
Willie Christy, I sailed with him can't remember which ship but his piping was restricted to piping in new years day at the top of the ER, I think I was 3/e and had kittens at the horrible noise, not being warned etc pretty sure it was the br holly.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts