Ships Nostalgia banner

81 - 100 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
11,218 Posts
I assume we are talking about motor ships with T/As, in which case the auxiliary boiler would take over producing steam as the exhaust gas boiler steam production started to reduce with engine revs.

Assuming the damn thing flashed up of course, they were usually the object of extreme scrutiny (and occasional verbal encouragement) during the change over period.

Anyhoo something would have to have gone bizarrely wrong for exhaust gas to get into a turbine

James C

The S class did not have a scoop, they are only used on steam ships, but you are right the R class did.

Changes of speed - you should be able to change from full away all the way down to Full ahead with no problems these days, in fact it is one of the tests for UMS certification. I would be wary about doing it on a steam ship though, steam is slow engineering with an awful lot of interactions in the plant, if it gets disturbed from a settled position things can get out of shape big time

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Does anyone recall an air start bottle line blowing on one of the River or Titty boats in the 70s? On the way down from Antwerp I think. One hell of a bang which I heard from the Focs'tle. Within seconds two black balls went up, and we were towed back to Antwerp. Hell of a mess down aft on the lower plates area. Lots of cables cut, but thank god no one was in the area at the time.
I believe at the time the event was put down to traces of oil being in the bottle when the air start was used. Though the engine must have been started before on that day to get as far down the canal? as we did.

·
Registered
25 Posts
graham wallace
idid my first trip to sea on the RESOLUTION [open focsal] 8 2 52 as deck boy
from Newcastle but was paid off in Bermuda after we called in with boiler troulde on 1 7 52. masg recvied dad had been killed in accdent the british sailor socity in bermuda was very good to me paid my air fare home [still have the ticket]. on RANGER 24/9/54 -14/3/55
bosun bill

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
graham wallace
idid my first trip to sea on the RESOLUTION [open focsal] 8 2 52 as deck boy
from Newcastle but was paid off in Bermuda after we called in with boiler troulde on 1 7 52. masg recvied dad had been killed in accdent the british sailor socity in bermuda was very good to me paid my air fare home [still have the ticket]. on RANGER 24/9/54 -14/3/55
bosun bill
She was an oldie, built 1948 and scrapped at Faslane 1963. I know of a couple of people who sailed her, one here on SN 1962/63 and a 4/E in 1957, both a little after your time.
Graham

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know Clive Wright. He was a Bosun on BP Tankers in the 50,s and 60,s. I am a relation, but I have lost contact. I was at sea on NZ ships in th 60,s Kind regards Terry Hogan

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Does anyone know Clive Wright. He was a Bosun on BP Tankers in the 50,s and 60,s. I am a relation, but I have lost contact. I was at sea on NZ ships in th 60,s Kind regards Terry Hogan
Is this the C Wright mentioned a number of times on this site famous for his paintings of ships?
(Cloud)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Does anyone recall an air start bottle line blowing on one of the River or Titty boats in the 70s? On the way down from Antwerp I think. One hell of a bang which I heard from the Focs'tle. Within seconds two black balls went up, and we were towed back to Antwerp. Hell of a mess down aft on the lower plates area. Lots of cables cut, but thank god no one was in the area at the time.
I believe at the time the event was put down to traces of oil being in the bottle when the air start was used. Though the engine must have been started before on that day to get as far down the canal? as we did.
Yes, it was at Imuijan (sp) Locks after the MV British Security left an extended DD in Amerstadam due to industrial action in Holland. A National Strike no less.

Oil from the bridge control hydrualic system leaked back into the ME start line.

The ME air pressure was used to maintain the hydraulic pressure and damp out any large changes due to demand during air starts of the engine.

The explosion was caused by a faulty airstart v/v, the "bang" was prevented from entering the airstart bottles when the pressure made a hole like a shell going through steel at the "tee" where the port and starboard bottles joined.

Both air bottles M/Teed through this hole into the engineroom where the pressure was raised considerably to match most of the engineers Blood Pressure.

The blast did very little damage, a few cut cables by the shrapnel from the hole and every floro tube was reduced to dust, NOT GLASS SHARDS, but dust within the area.

The ship was towed back to the yard for a few more days as investigations into the cause took place.

More horrific was the dreaded Lagos/Okrica run that followed :)

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
was on british promise 1946 went abadan aden then to freemantle .food awfull talk of a few juming .chief steward said food would be better now fed us steak eggs .when left it was back to crap again
Sailed on British Dragoon 1946/47, similar misery, strictly BOT, "two pot" ship, tin plates, tin mugs. Abadan et al, two trips Haifa, two jaunts Aden, one trip to Melbourne and Genoa, then, Deo Gratias, Grangemouth. Used to think about her when I was studying for second mate's and the consequences of failure. Come the revolution or a ticket !

·
Premium Member
9,125 Posts
Yes, it was at Imuijan (sp) Locks after the MV British Security left an extended DD in Amerstadam due to industrial action in Holland. A National Strike no less.

Oil from the bridge control hydrualic system leaked back into the ME start line.

The ME air pressure was used to maintain the hydraulic pressure and damp out any large changes due to demand during air starts of the engine.

The explosion was caused by a faulty airstart v/v, the "bang" was prevented from entering the airstart bottles when the pressure made a hole like a shell going through steel at the "tee" where the port and starboard bottles joined.

Both air bottles M/Teed through this hole into the engineroom where the pressure was raised considerably to match most of the engineers Blood Pressure.

The blast did very little damage, a few cut cables by the shrapnel from the hole and every floro tube was reduced to dust, NOT GLASS SHARDS, but dust within the area.

The ship was towed back to the yard for a few more days as investigations into the cause took place.

More horrific was the dreaded Lagos/Okrica run that followed :)
I rejoined her (The Security) in Amsterdam 24 Feb 72, having been in her on my previous trip.
That must have been just prior to the event. I recall that the actual Air Start Bottles hadn't blown up, but I thought there was more damage. I was a novice, being a GP1, and like blood, there seemed to be more damage than there actually was. As I recall no one was nearby when it went off thank heaven.
Ah! The Lagos Okrika run, a lot of tedium, with the odd good moment rarely thrown in. Cruises around the Islets and Creeks on the Bonny River in a lifeboat, little runs ashore into Okrika Village via kids in dugouts, football matches at the local grammer school up the pipeline. Even little diversions meant a lot around there didn't they?

·
Registered
3 Posts
New member just saying hello. I was a 1958 intake Engineering Apprentice.
Did the college bit at Bolton Tech and the shipyard bit at St Andrews Dock,
Hull. Served on Renown/Flag/Merchant/Signal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Former BP Radio Officer - Steve Barnes

Hello Graham. I was a Radio Officer "Sparky" with BP from 1974 - 1979. I was 2nd RO on the British Norness for 8 months then on the British Maple. I was also on the Centaur and a couple of others but don't have the names or the dates with me. I'd like to get added to your database and I still have my log showing dates of the ships I was on but it's back home in San Antonio and I'm in Finland and about to get on the the Oasis of the Seas. (Were Putting in a new system and sailing it back to Fort Lauderdale. Not been to sea (working) for 30 years so really looking forward to it).

So in about three weeks I'll send you my full details.

Not been in touch with very many folks from back then but did get an email from a former cadet who left BP joined the Royal Aussie Navy, went on Submarines and is now a Sub base commander in Oz.

Hello everyone. Been reading some of the comments. Very interesting reading. Full agree that experiance counts, I'm 55 and in Wireless Networking Design, the amount of "educated" kids I come across who don't know dick is amazing.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
Hello Graham. I was a Radio Officer "Sparky" with BP from 1974 - 1979. I was 2nd RO on the British Norness for 8 months then on the British Maple. I was also on the Centaur and a couple of others but don't have the names or the dates with me. I'd like to get added to your database and I still have my log showing dates of the ships I was on but it's back home in San Antonio and I'm in Finland and about to get on the the Oasis of the Seas. (Were Putting in a new system and sailing it back to Fort Lauderdale. Not been to sea (working) for 30 years so really looking forward to it).

So in about three weeks I'll send you my full details.

Not been in touch with very many folks from back then but did get an email from a former cadet who left BP joined the Royal Aussie Navy, went on Submarines and is now a Sub base commander in Oz.

Hello everyone. Been reading some of the comments. Very interesting reading. Full agree that experiance counts, I'm 55 and in Wireless Networking Design, the amount of "educated" kids I come across who don't know dick is amazing.
Hi Steve ,I'll look forward to that.
Graham

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Did first trip deepsea on the Brit Supremecy as peggy,the bosun I think was from Cornwall Ithink his name was Fleming the cook was Polish the second cooks name was Mc Cabe? I remember an a.b. Les Jordan the donkeyman was Maltese I think his name was Debono the Capt was C.W.Uridge but my fondest memories of her have just been awakened by a couple of jars of melon jam given to me by my neighbour whos godmother in France made specially for me as on the Supremecy I ate loads of it on the best bread I ever tasted as made by the second cook and baker , on paying off Iwas given a £1 by all the deck and engine ratings all exept one a.b. who would have made ******* look like a spendthrift I had more in tips than in wages I kept all that money pinned to my vest till I got home to Ruthin and when I put it on the table my mam and dad were blown away to see so much mind you it was a 5 month trip.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Hi Graham, I was on the Supremacy from May to September in 1954,joined her in Birkenhead paid of in Grangemouth as I said I think the skipper was Capt C. W. URIDGE,the chief engineer hit me in the face one afternoon as I had awaken him by banging the watercan I used to take to the deck crew working forward ,it was a cowardly thing to do but I kept it to myself .

·
Registered
87 Posts
I received an email message today re the above post, John Nicholson. First message on this board since 2009? Has my laptop done a funny or the Board been deleted for 8 years I wonder?

Anybody have the same problem please?

arfabuck

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
I believe the board was attacked by hackers a while back Arfa, not sure what problems it caused if any.

81 - 100 of 107 Posts